What constitutes a "breakfast"?

Options
What I mean is how soon after I wake up do I have to eat to get the "benefits" of eating "breakfast"?

I am up at 530 and out the door for work at 6. I could wake up earlier to eat something but Im "not usually hungry".
I mostly grab a cup of coffee and leave...
I am done with my first shift at work at 9 am (sometimes Im home by 8).

That is when I occasionally eat something... about 930. But rarely. Often I just wait until 11 or so and have "lunch".
Sometimes I dont make it until then and have to actively prevent myself from "grazing".

So, to all you breakfast people, can you help me?

Is it nutritionally ok to eat "breakfast" at 9am or have I wasted the "eat as soon as you get up in order to jump start your metabolism" thing.

Thanks

Replies

• momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast. It takes 2 1/2 minutes to eat it. No need to get up early for that!
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    I don'tknow the "clinical" answer to this. But I can tell you that once I started eating breakfast within an hour of waking up I started losing weight faster. I feel like I have heard that you should eat breakfast within 30-60 minutes of waking up but I have no idea where I heard that
  • sporter5
    sporter5 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You can make up some whole grain bfast burritos and have them in your freezer or fridge, then all you do is throw it in the microwave in the morning while your getting ready, grab it and head out the door, eat it on the way or as soon as you get to work :)
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    You should eat within 30 minutes of getting up. Even if it's something small - it should have protein though.... Cereal has never been very good for me - but oatmeal, egg whites, greek yogurt - all great - quick easy options. (egg whites you can buy in a carton, and cook in the microwave - so no excuse - doesn't take any time!)
  • Connie_TN
    Options
    I would suggest get up about 15 minutes earlier and make a protein shake. I use EAS vanilla with a tablespoon of peanut butter and half a banana. Sometimes I will have a boiled egg and a string cheese.
  • im2precious8109
    Options
    I have a low calorie protein shake. It keeps me full :) maybe you could try a slim fast shake or a breakfast shake. It works for me :)
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    What I mean is how soon after I wake up do I have to eat to get the "benefits" of eating "breakfast"?

Is it nutritionally ok to eat "breakfast" at 9am or have I wasted the "eat as soon as you get up in order to jump start your metabolism" thing.

Thanks

There are no biological "benefits" to having breakfast as far as weight loss goes. It does NOT jump start your metabolism. It may help you control your cravings and urges later in the day, and allow you to make better choices, but if you don't have/can control you cravings, it's just an early calorie amount that if you don't really want you might as well save till you actually do want it :)
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I have heard that you need to eat within 1 to 1 and 1/2 hrs of getting up and it needs to be at least 200 calories for it to count as breakfast. I do lose better when I eat breakfast also.
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    Options
    You are "supposed" to eat breakfast within an hour of getting up in the morning. I am like you and wait until about 9 am. I used to skip breakfast altogether. However, I was told by a nutritionist to at least put milk in my coffee in the morning. Sometimes I eat a stick of lite string cheese on my morning commute. Anything. Eating helps wake up your metabolism. I was also told to eat every two to three hours to keep my metabolism going all day. If you exercise on top of that, you REALLY need to eat earlier in the day. Absolutely don't wait until lunch to eat your first meal. I started losing faster after I started eating breakfast.
  • kronesa
    kronesa Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering this, too. I'm up at 5:30 and out by 6:30 with kid in tow and coffee in hand. I eat 'breakfast' at about 9:00, lunch around noon, and dinner at 5ish. I just can't seem to stomach food at 5:30 or 6am...it absolutely repulses me. So, I'm guessing that I'm losing out on that metabolism boost, too, but I don't really feel like it's slowed me down too much. Maybe I'll have to reconsider when I get closer to my goal if my loss slows down. But, until then, I'm going to stick with my current routine.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    You should eat within 30 minutes of getting up. Even if it's something small - it should have protein though.... Cereal has never been very good for me - but oatmeal, egg whites, greek yogurt - all great - quick easy options. (egg whites you can buy in a carton, and cook in the microwave - so no excuse - doesn't take any time!)

What if you are just plan not hungry though? I've tried getting up earlier to cook. I have started doing this, but I have 'zero' appetite. I take two bites and I feel like crap...
  • HMonsterX
    Options

What if you are just plan not hungry though? I've tried getting up earlier to cook. I have started doing this, but I have 'zero' appetite. I take two bites and I feel like crap...

Then don't eat it. It won't harm or help your metabolism if you do or if you don't. Save those calories for you when actually want them.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    There are no biological "benefits" to having breakfast as far as weight loss goes. It does NOT jump start your metabolism. It may help you control your cravings and urges later in the day, and allow you to make better choices, but if you don't have/can control you cravings, it's just an early calorie amount that if you don't really want you might as well save till you actually do want it :)

^ I'd type my opinion but it would pretty much be this quote. Great answer.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Please note that whenever someone tells you that you have to eat breakfast at a certain time, they don't provide any facts to back that up.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    My take on all this "you must eat within a certain timeframe after waking up": nonsense.

I'm up every morning between 5.30 and 6am to go to work. I usually don't eat breakfast until around 11am. Has it done me any harm?

⇓ Look at my ticker. I don't think so. But that's just my opinion.
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    I have heard that...

Where did you hear it? A good example of the incorrect rumours flying around...
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The breakfast carousel just keeps on spinning around and around..

and around.....

and around....SMH
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I say, do what works best for you!!! I'm not a big fan of breakfast, but I found something that I enjoy eating (low in calories) and I look forward to having it every morning. It has just become part of my routine. If you're not hungry DON'T EAT!!!!! Some experts will tell you to eat something every 2-3 hours (at least my dietician does) and I told her I just can not do that. I'm a binge eater and if I start eating when I'm not hungry, disaster can strike.

Eat when your hungry, but don't let yourself get too hungry. You'll be likely to overeat.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    mood_aggravated.gifmood_aggravated.gifmood_aggravated.gifmood_aggravated.gifmood_aggravated.gifmood_aggravated.gif
  • tjnahm
    tjnahm Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just to make sure we have all the bases covered...

* within 15 minutes
    * within 30 minutes
    * within 60 minutes
    * within 5 hours
    * there is no proof it is even needed

Did I miss any? :laugh:

I eat breakfast when I am hungry, I don't eat if I am not hungry. Sometimes I intermittent fast on my heavy lifting days, sometimes I eat before I get the kids out of the door. Listen to your body, it is amazing at telling you what you need.