Is it true that Muscle weights more than Fat?

Options
Is it true that Muscle weights more than Fat? Or is that a myth?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you have the same amount of each, then yes. The muscle will be heavier.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound no matter what the object is... One pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Haven't you ever seen a steak?
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound no matter what the object is... One pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat.

THAT IS WHAT "HEAVIER" MEANS.
  • voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Put a pound of muscle on a scale. Now, put a pound of fat on a scale. Do they not both weigh a pound? Think about it.
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I think I have more fat then muscle...
  • deathstarclock
    deathstarclock Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat is the correct way to put it.
  • CurlyClare78
    Options
    Fat takes up less space for the same amount of weight. What the phrase means is that you can have two people who weigh the same, but if one has more muscle mass, that person will be slimmer.
  • dtmwed
    dtmwed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    It's the way the express the term that is a myth. 100 lbs of feathers will wieght the same as a 100 lbs of bricks, but you will need a lot more feathers to make that 100lbs then you will those bricks. Muscle takes up "less room" then fat will in your body, does that make sense?
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more dense than fat, but density is different than weight. A Pound of Fat oddly enough weighs exactly the same as a pound of muscle.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? A pound of muscle weighs exactly the same as a pound of fat... ONE POUND. The difference is that muscle is more dense, taking up less space than fat. Think volume, not weight.
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    A pound is a pound no matter how you weight it.

BUT equal VOLUMES of muscle and fat will weight differently. Muscle is more dense than fat, so 1 cubic foot of muscle will weigh MORE than 1 cubic foot of fat.

ALSO equals WEIGHTS of muscle and fat will take up different amounts of space. 1 pound of MUSCLE will take up LESS space than one pound of FAT.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    Muscle is denser than fat...
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Muscle is more DENSE than fat; therefore it takes up less space. A pound is a pound no matter if it is lead or feathers. :indifferent: I mean, really?!?!?!?!
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    From what I've read on here, 1lb of rice is heavier than 1lb of feathers. And a 10lb dumbell is heavier than a 10lb ream of paper.....but that 2nd one might be because a ream of paper is 5lbs, so.......??
  • kao708
    kao708 Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    From what I've read on here, 1lb of rice is heavier than 1lb of feathers. And a 10lb dumbell is heavier than a 10lb ream of paper.....but that 2nd one might be because a ream of paper is 5lbs, so.......??
    Whoever is spreading the comments above is extremely confused. :huh:

Exactly...I'm astonished that people still cannot grasp this concept! Guess I'm not the only one that didn't pay attention in school, eh? :bigsmile:
  • ddecarr
    ddecarr Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It is all semantics. A pound is a pound now matter what it is, feathers or bowling balls. The question you want to ask is which is larger by volume fat or muscle and the answer is fat. If you have 50 lbs of fat vs 50 lbs of muscle the fat would occupy much more space. Thats why fat people are BIG!
  • deathstarclock
    Options
    HAHA I BEAT YOU ALL
  • rita27ny
    rita27ny Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I was curious because I hear people say oo this week I gained 2lbs but I think its muscle and not fat...
  • deathstarclock
    Options
    Is it true that anvils weigh more than cookies?