MAN PLEASING RECIPES NEEDED

Options
Hubby isn't exercising or counting calories with me, but will eat the same foods as me. He's getting bored with plain grilled chicken breast and pork chops. (I only fix red meat once a week and he won't eat fish.) Anybody have a great low cal recipe a non-dieting husband will eat to share? Also low cal side dishes to dress up grilled meats would be appreciated.

:flowerforyou: Thanks!

Replies

• AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Hubby isn't exercising or counting calories with me, but will eat the same foods as me. He's getting bored with plain grilled chicken breast and pork chops. (I only fix red meat once a week and he won't eat fish.) Anybody have a great low cal recipe a non-dieting husband will eat to share? Also low cal side dishes to dress up grilled meats would be appreciated.

• Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    check the recipe thread

there are lots of good recipes in there,
    try the salsa chicken one or the crockpot chicken taco stew, they are yummy
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

here is a slightly different tact

if hubby is getting bored with the meals that you take the time to think out and prepare...tell him to start contributing with healthy ideas, foods etc...what does he like? and does he do the friggin dishes at least?:flowerforyou:
  • FitnessGeek
    FitnessGeek Posts: 487
    Options
    I know I really can't go wrong with my guy and sandwiches. He saw me preparing the large portabella mushrooms and made a face. But after he actually tried this recipe, he loved it and requests that I make portabella sandwiches all the time now. This recipe in particular has the taste of a yummy Reuben sandwich. I like to serve this with a side of those Hungry Girl butternut squash fries, my boyfriend just can't get enough of those. BTW- this recipe would be even better on a grill!

Portabella Mushroom & Provolone Sandwich
    Vegetarian (Some Worcestershire sauce contains anchovies, watch which brand you buy.)

Makes 2 sandwiches

Ingredients:
    2 Kaiser rolls (or mini baguettes), tear out most of the bread on the inside to create a pocket for your mushroom.
    2 large portabella mushrooms
    1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    2 cups vegetable broth
    2 tbsp brown mustard
    2 tsp horseradish (or as much as you can handle)
    2 slices of provolone
    2 cups of spinach

Cook:
    -In a small mixing bowl whisk together Worcestershire sauce, garlic, 1/3 cup of the vegetable broth, brown mustard, horseradish.
    -Tear off the stems of the portabellas and clean them with a damp cloth. I also like to peel off the top layer of ‘skin’ to make the mushroom softer, this is optional. Marinate the portabellas for 30 min in the sauce you just made.
    - Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and remove the portabellas from the marinade, reserving all the marinade liquid.
    - In a medium-sized skillet, heat olive oil over high heat , add both mushrooms to the pan with half of the reserved marinating liquid. Add the remaining vegetable broth and cook until the liquid and gone and the mushrooms just begin to caramelize. This takes about 10 min, but watch it closely.
    - Assemble the sandwich , cheese first then the portabellas in their convenient bread pockets. Warm sandwiches in the oven until the cheese is melted and bread is lightly toasted. About 7 min.
    - When the sandwiches are warm add 1 cup of spinach to each sandwich and 1 tsp of the reserved marinade. Reassemble the sandwiches and serve with some marinade sauce on the side.

Nutritional Information:
    Calories: 241
    Fat: 7.1g
    Carbs: 29.7g
    Protein: 11g
  • FitnessGeek
    Options

if hubby is getting bored with the meals that you take the time to think out and prepare...tell him to start contributing with healthy ideas, foods etc...what does he like? and does he do the friggin dishes at least?flowerforyou

LOL. We have a rule in my house: whoever cooks, doesn't clean...and whoever eats, doesn't complain.
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    There's a balsalmic chicken recipe out there that is super yummy, easy, and my whole family loves it!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

if hubby is getting bored with the meals that you take the time to think out and prepare...tell him to start contributing with healthy ideas, foods etc...what does he like? and does he do the friggin dishes at least?flowerforyou

LOL. We have a rule in my house: whoever cooks, doesn't clean...and whoever eats, doesn't complain.

great rule
  • willywonka
    willywonka Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    check out the diner meat loaf muffins in the recipe thread, they are delicious!!!!
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    He isn't complaining. He's tickled I'm losing weight. But I know him well enough to know that by month 3 of eating like this he'll want some variety (and so will I). Cooking is something I love to do... a creative outlet. I just don't know how to make healthy meats beside throwing them on the grill with a bit of salt and pepper yet. Up till now I've cooked with butter and fixed fried stuff served with gravy, desserts loaded with fat and sugar and anything but low cal. If I'm gonna lose 50 more pounds and stick with it I need some good recipes.

And before you judge him too harshly, I have never cleaned a potty in our 31+ years of marriage. He knows I hate it and has always done it for me. Even when he works a 70 hour week.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    He isn't complaining. He's tickled I'm losing weight. But I know him well enough to know that by month 3 of eating like this he'll want some variety (and so will I). Cooking is something I love to do... a creative outlet. I just don't know how to make healthy meats beside throwing them on the grill with a bit of salt and pepper yet. Up till now I've cooked with butter and fixed fried stuff served with gravy, desserts loaded with fat and sugar and anything but low cal. If I'm gonna lose 50 more pounds and stick with it I need some good recipes.

And before you judge him too harshly, I have never cleaned a potty in our 31+ years of marriage. He knows I hate it and has always done it for me. Even when he works a 70 hour week.

noone is judging anyone
    another crucial ingredient to this life long journey is a sense of humor
  • gnicolecan
    gnicolecan Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Balsamic Chicken with Mushrooms

2 teaspoons vegetable oil
    3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    1 large garlic clove -- crushed
    16 ounces skinless boneless chicken breast -- thin-sliced 1/4"
    thick (4 - 4 ounces each)
    2 cups mushrooms, whole -- small, halved
    1/3 cup chicken broth
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme -- leaves, crumbled

In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon of the oil.

In a medium bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the vinegar, the mustard and garlic. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Transfer the chicken and marinade to the skillet; sauté the chicken until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Transfer
    the chicken to a platter and keep warm.

In the skillet, heat the remaining teaspoon of oil. Sauté the mushrooms 1 minute; add the broth, thyme and the remaining tablespoon of vinegar. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the
    mushrooms are deep brown, about 2 minutes longer.

Serve the chicken topped with the mushrooms.

4 servings

Per serving:
    187 Calories, 4g Total Fat, 1g Saturated Fat, 66mg Cholesterol, 233 mg Sodium, 6g Total Carbohydrates, 0g Dietary Fiber, 29g Protein, 22mg Calcium.

Points per serving 4
  • Eazy43055
    Eazy43055 Posts: 56
    Options
    I know I really can't go wrong with my guy and sandwiches. He saw me preparing the large portabella mushrooms and made a face. But after he actually tried this recipe, he loved it and requests that I make portabella sandwiches all the time now. This recipe in particular has the taste of a yummy Reuben sandwich. I like to serve this with a side of those Hungry Girl butternut squash fries, my boyfriend just can't get enough of those. BTW- this recipe would be even better on a grill!

Portabella Mushroom & Provolone Sandwich
    Vegetarian (Some Worcestershire sauce contains anchovies, watch which brand you buy.)

Makes 2 sandwiches

Ingredients:
    2 Kaiser rolls (or mini baguettes), tear out most of the bread on the inside to create a pocket for your mushroom.
    2 large portabella mushrooms
    1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
    2 cloves of garlic, minced
    2 cups vegetable broth
    2 tbsp brown mustard
    2 tsp horseradish (or as much as you can handle)
    2 slices of provolone
    2 cups of spinach

Cook:
    -In a small mixing bowl whisk together Worcestershire sauce, garlic, 1/3 cup of the vegetable broth, brown mustard, horseradish.
    -Tear off the stems of the portabellas and clean them with a damp cloth. I also like to peel off the top layer of ‘skin’ to make the mushroom softer, this is optional. Marinate the portabellas for 30 min in the sauce you just made.
    - Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, and remove the portabellas from the marinade, reserving all the marinade liquid.
    - In a medium-sized skillet, heat olive oil over high heat , add both mushrooms to the pan with half of the reserved marinating liquid. Add the remaining vegetable broth and cook until the liquid and gone and the mushrooms just begin to caramelize. This takes about 10 min, but watch it closely.
    - Assemble the sandwich , cheese first then the portabellas in their convenient bread pockets. Warm sandwiches in the oven until the cheese is melted and bread is lightly toasted. About 7 min.
    - When the sandwiches are warm add 1 cup of spinach to each sandwich and 1 tsp of the reserved marinade. Reassemble the sandwiches and serve with some marinade sauce on the side.

Nutritional Information:
    Calories: 241
    Fat: 7.1g
    Carbs: 29.7g
    Protein: 11g

Worcestershire sauce is made from anchovies... Just pointing that out, lol.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Oh sweetie - I completely understand where you're coming from. My husband is pretty good about eating what I put in front of him - but I know his likes and dislikes and try to make things that he doesn't "hate". I've been struggling with the same issue of what to feed the family. Not only is DH not counting calories - but I have an 11 year old son who seems to be growing through a growth spurt.

How about remaking some of your old recipes. We love taco casserole - but the way I used to make it was a heart attack in waiting. Now I mix 1/2 lb very lean ground beef with a 1/2 lb ground turkey. Then I mix in a can of black beans that I've run through the blender (adds fiber and stretches the meat). The meat and beans get cooked with taco seasoning (low sodium if I can find it) I layer it with low carb or whole wheat tortillas. I put regular shredded cheese on the family's portion and low fat cheese on mine. I outline my portion on the top with salsa.

Then I serve it on the table with chopped lettuce, cheese, sour cream, diced tomatos and salsa. I skip the cheese and use lowfat sour cream.

I'd have to search back to calculate it for you... but I know it wasn't bad for a dinner.

Also - if you haven't tried Tone's Citrus Grill - go buy it! It really adds a different taste to chicken, ground beef, etc. Very light and summery.
  • caejde
    caejde Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    We make our own Chicken Fried Rice. Cook the chicken in teriyaki and soy. Also, we make chicken strips using heart healthy bisquick. Montreal Chicken season is really great for baking or grilling. We've grilled the chicken using this seasoning and then cut the chicken up and tossed it in with fresh spinach and other greens and had a good salad. Also cooking the chicken in a foil pack will make it juicy and tender. I've used taco season and salsa. One time using the foil pack, we used cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soups. Didn't use the whole can put just spread a little on the chicken with some other spices. Was very good.
  • FitnessGeek
    Options
    Worcestershire sauce is made from anchovies... Just pointing that out, lol.

Yes, usually...which is why I said for vegetarians to be careful. There are vegetarian versions of Worcestershire sauce that tastes very similar and do not contain fish.
  • Eazy43055
    Eazy43055 Posts: 56
    Options
    OHHH I thought you meant don't get the kind with that because its not good or something. What is the vegetarians made of? Maybe another alternate for me!
  • Grrowler
    Grrowler Posts: 29
    Options
    I know the feeling of needing Man Pleasing recipe's. :smile:
    Mine doesn't like veggies, the most I can get him to eat is lettuce and leafy greens or potatoes. He is also getting burnt out on Chicken breast and turkey sandwiches. Anyone have any healthy very lowfat ideas for a non veggie man?

93151.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    Oh sweetie - I completely understand where you're coming from. My husband is pretty good about eating what I put in front of him - but I know his likes and dislikes and try to make things that he doesn't "hate". I've been struggling with the same issue of what to feed the family. Not only is DH not counting calories - but I have an 11 year old son who seems to be growing through a growth spurt.

How about remaking some of your old recipes. We love taco casserole - but the way I used to make it was a heart attack in waiting. Now I mix 1/2 lb very lean ground beef with a 1/2 lb ground turkey. Then I mix in a can of black beans that I've run through the blender (adds fiber and stretches the meat). The meat and beans get cooked with taco seasoning (low sodium if I can find it) I layer it with low carb or whole wheat tortillas. I put regular shredded cheese on the family's portion and low fat cheese on mine. I outline my portion on the top with salsa.

Then I serve it on the table with chopped lettuce, cheese, sour cream, diced tomatos and salsa. I skip the cheese and use lowfat sour cream.

I'd have to search back to calculate it for you... but I know it wasn't bad for a dinner.

Also - if you haven't tried Tone's Citrus Grill - go buy it! It really adds a different taste to chicken, ground beef, etc. Very light and summery.

Here is my taco seasoning I use so that it contains less sodium than the store packaged kind

1 tbsp. chili powder
    2 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. each ground cumin, garlic powder, paprika, powdered oregano and sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Makes 3 tablespoons of seasoning mix, which is equal in strength to a 1/4 ounce package of commercial seasoning mix.
  • FitnessGeek
    Options
    OHHH I thought you meant don't get the kind with that because its not good or something. What is the vegetarians made of? Maybe another alternate for me!

You can make your own vegetarian worcestershire sauce or buy it. Here are the listed ingredients to a store bought kind: Apple Cider Vinegar, Soy Sauce, Filtered Well Water, Molasses, Agave Syrup, Garlic Puree, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Sea Salt, Ginger Puree, Tamarind, Cayenne Puree, Shiitake Mushrooms, Xanthum Gum, Allspice, Botanical Extracts, Cloves, Natural Smoke Flavor.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options

Here is my taco seasoning I use so that it contains less sodium than the store packaged kind

1 tbsp. chili powder
    2 tsp. onion powder
    1 tsp. each ground cumin, garlic powder, paprika, powdered oregano and sugar
    1/2 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl. Makes 3 tablespoons of seasoning mix, which is equal in strength to a 1/4 ounce package of commercial seasoning mix.

AWESOME!!! Thanks!!!!