How to prevent saggy breasts when losing weight?

Options
I lost almost 40lbs in the past from nutrisystem and minimal exercise. I went down from a 36C to a 36B. I am still young, 23..but when I lost all that weight my boobs seemed saggier and I could see the old stretch mark indentations(back from when I went through puberty I guess) deeper. Well I have gained the 40lbs back and an additional 20lbs..so this time around..I am dieting and exercising daily. Should I be doing chest strenghthening exercises, examples? Thanks :)

Replies

• lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Wear a bra?
  • tiggerzshorty
    Options
    I would also be interested in knowing. I'm scared to do too many chest exercises due to not wanting to losse too much of my chest.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    YES you should always be doing strength training - a few days a week!

I have the same problem. I went from a DDD to a D now. and it's annoying, but the strength does help tone things up! Pushups are also great for this! :)
  • juli3b2011
    juli3b2011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    1) Wear a good bra
    2) Do push ups
    3) Do some type of strength training to improve overall muscle tone

Good luck!
  • sostep
    sostep Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My trick is to wear very supportive bras when I lose weight all the time. EVEN to bed. This keeps them at "attention" through your weight loss and prevents too much sagging.

Good luck :)
  • sesecat
    sesecat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Depends on how fast you lose, too. I've lost 55 lbs pretty agressively, and well, I'm close to Amazon status. But I have loose skin on my arms, chin, thighs, tummy, and even chest around the bra band area.

Lose slowly, and you'll save some perkiness. Have patience. Something I've just now learned.

Oh - and full body strength training should be incorporated no matter what! It goes hand in hand with cardio.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    If you figure it out let me know, because I've got nothing left.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    You can't. They will eventually 'perk' back up if you lose *all* the excess fat that kept them stretched out. It takes a lot to stretch the skin, but only a little to keep it stretched.

Read this post from someone who's done it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/348688-flabby-to-fab-exercises-i-have-used-to-tone-after-losing-1

Edit: As other posters mention, wearing a good bra can help.
  • Jenninedinburgh
    Jenninedinburgh Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Great question! My friend and I were talking about this the other day...it seems that working out regularly does help and losing slowly.
  • wackynunu
    wackynunu Posts: 103
    Options
    If you figure it out let me know, because I've got nothing left.

me too! :( I can cope with padding but my poor hubby...
  • jonikeffer
    jonikeffer Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    The sagging comes from having stretched out the skin and then losing some of the "filler" for them. There's nothing you can do about that, but if you pump up your pecs behind them, it can help prop up the entire area to make it look better.

To the person who said she was scared to do chest exercises in fear of "losing" from her chest area", you can't "spot reduce" your breasts just like you can't spot reduce anywhere else. All it will do is support/push out the area from behind.

Breasts are filled with breast tissue and fat tissue, so how much you deflate as you lose weight will depend on how much of your breasts were fat to start with, and then how much fat you happen to lose from that particular area. I had a reduction (from 32DDD to D) about 10 years ago, so I though surely I would have less fat in there and didn't expect to deflate much, but even losing just 25 lbs has had a small but noticible effect on mine. And I certainly have a lot of stretch marks from them having been so big before. Sadly stretch marks seem to become more visible as you lose and the skin/marks condense back together again.
  • stephl81
    stephl81 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Im so concerned about my saggy breasts that I went to see a plastic surgeon for implants and a lift and he actually told me not to do chest exercises, that those are for men. He asked me; "Do you want breasts or pecks?" Im like, uuuummm breasts please. I never went through with the surgery and just bought a great push bra. At least my boyfriend says he loves them....
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I went to see a plastic surgeon for implants and a lift and he actually told me not to do chest exercises, that those are for men. He asked me; "Do you want breasts or pecks?" Im like, uuuummm breasts please. I never went through with the surgery and just bought a great push bra. At least my boyfriend says he loves them....

Really? A health professional said that? Good gracious. Doing chest exercises will not turn your breasts into pecs. That's just crazy talk. (and random side note, I've met quite a few men with pecs bigger than my breasts so... maybe that's not a bad idea for me lol) If you develop your pec muscles (which are under your breasts), this will actually help everything in that area more perky.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Let me know if you find the answer! I have breastfed 5 kids, so my boobs go back and forth between a C+ cup and an A cup. When I am back to my A cup, they are saggy shriveled up raisins and I get embarrassed! My stretch marks make my boobs look wrinkly and the worst is when I lift my arms above my head and my nipples sink inward! OMG! I've always dreamed of a boob job. Just no $ for one. Maybe in a few years...
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The only thing that is going to perk them up is plastic surgery.

Doing chest exercises though will help them become firmer, since your working out the chest muscles.

Oddly enough, I went up a band size even tho I lost 27 pounds.. don't ask me how that happened, but it did.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    "I must, I must, I must improve my bust"
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options

Haha, you make me smile.

Your boobs will shrink with the fat loss and since they have already gone through substantial change, they will never be as perky as you'd like, unless cosmetically enhanced. Maintaining a good strength routine will help firm up the muscles underneath. Push ups, dips and incline bench press will be your best option.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options

Lol, Yep, gotta strength train!

4581915.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Find a good pair of willing hands to hold and entertain them while endlessly following you
  • siabevis
    siabevis Posts: 811
    Options
    i lost 35lbs and ended up a saggy chest... so i just got breast implants :)