Veggies and other good "snacks"

Options
*I hope I'm not duplicating another post here, but I couldn't find one similar to mine.*

I was just wondering what vegetables you all snack on other than baby carrots, celery, and bell peppers. I've been aiming to eat about 150-250 calories (for now anyways) for a mid-morning, mid-afternoon snack, and would like to incorporate more veggies. I eat apples (Crunch Pak sweet apple slices--I did NOT like apples until I did a cleanse and needed to eat fibrous fruit. I tried these once; they're now a stable in my kitchen! sorry--off subject.) Anyway, I have things that I eat for my protein and complex carbs (in moderation, of course) but I need some suggestions for veggie snacks. Also, if you have a favorite snack that you eat that may not be a veggie, please share! Thanks in advance!!! :)

Replies

• marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    cucumbers - dip in salsa or hummus is one of my favorites!
    also love dipping cauliflower & broccoli in hummus or tzatziki dip! :)
  • cessnaholly
    cessnaholly Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I like celery with hummus or PB or carrots with hummus or dressing.
  • lik_11
    lik_11 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I love ants on a log: celery with peanut butter and grapes
  • Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Veggies dipped in hummus - carrots, peppers, cauliflower. I agree that tazhiki (sp?) sauce is the bomb too.
    Nuts are an excellent snack you just need to watch the portion size.
    I love luna bars (nutz over chocolate flavor - I am addicted)
    I eat at least one banana a day - sometimes with a little peanut butter.
  • PogoPalOj
    Options
    Hey,
    I'm kinda having the same problem. I am getting a little tired of just veggies. My sister told me to eat some almonds. The Imperial Nuts brand that I am eating is 170 calories for 27 nuts. It is a different snack. I hope this helps
    Jenn
  • nekosimba
    nekosimba Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love almonds. I keep them in my office and count out 15 for my morning snack. Just a little protein pick-me-up when I get hungry right before lunch.

I also love apples with a little peanut butter.

If your feeling adventurous, buy a dragon fruit. It's my new fave. Cut it in half and spoon out the fleshy middle. It has little seeds like kiwi in the middle. And to me it tastes like strawberry kiwi.
  • txmike64
    txmike64 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is a truly evil food. I see posters eating it while on diet. It probably represents 1/3 of my weight gain. I don't eat it any more. For 2 tablespoons to be 190 calories, and mostly fat at that, is just something I cannot do.
  • NuttyK
    NuttyK Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I like a mix of raw turnip strips with raw red and white cabbage, nice and crunchy with a light garlic and herb dip
  • MrsODriscoll
    MrsODriscoll Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Olives (not in oil)
    Butternut squash wedges baked in the oven and left to go cold - in fact any cold leftover roast veg - really good with hummous
    Blackberries are in season now and super tasty
  • eatmysox
    Options
    popcorn! with an air popper, it's 130 cals for 3 tablespoons. with no fat or sodium and all fiber, great snack! and perfect for a side of a meal or as a cereal.