So what do you eat on a no carb diet?

Options
13»

Replies

• nortiekeeks
    nortiekeeks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Why does every thread about low-carb have to turn into a debate???

My thoughts EXACTLY...ughhhhh :grumble:
  • nortiekeeks
    nortiekeeks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Because it wouldn't be human to just accept what was said. If we were to accept everything we were told then we would all believe the government is doing a great job right now. It's human nature to debate. True, acceptable answers come from people discussing things back and forth. That is why it's a debate and everything in your life should and would be debated at sometime. Lo-carb, no-carb, high-carb....whatever. We're here to find answers and if people can provide them by being questioned....than this forum has done it's job! Keep debating!
    Why does every thread about low-carb have to turn into a debate???

Fair enough......except that the OP asked HOW to pursue a no/low carb diet.....not whether or not it was a good idea.

Yeppers... :wink:
  • BBBombshell
    Options
    I highly recommend you read the latest Atkins book if you're going to do it right. Your body does need carbs. You just have to be smarter about which carbs you take in and in moderation. My wife and I have been doing Atkins, per doctor recommendation, since May of this year - we're both down 50lbs - I am down two pant sizes and no longer have the threat of pre-diabetes showing up in my bloodwork. Private message me if you have questions or need a link to somewhere to order the book.

It's imperative you read the book before starting - not only so you do it right but also so you understand why the body reacts the way it does, especially with an American style diet. It was hard the first two weeks but it's a lifestyle change and after the first few days - it got easier and easier - especially after watching the numbers on the scale drop and clothes not fitting any more.

Weight Watchers is also moving more towards a lower carb approach except they say you can eat all the fruit that you want.

As far as what we eat - we eat meats, cheese, seafood (not fried), veggies, salads, fruits, peanuts, etc.
    The good thing is, when doing the diet correctly, you are rarely ever hungry. My wife has found some awesome recipes on the Atkins site so we can still have pancakes with sugar free syrup (still good!) and sugar free desserts. I'm hoping she'll make the low carb pizza soon - that's the biggest thing I miss on this diet. When we reach our goal weights we can have those foods again but in limited moderation.

The reason a lot of people gain the weight back is because they go back to their old diet after they reach or get close to their goal - or they stall on weight loss so they get discouraged. We haven't lost any weight for the past month but our clothes are still getting looser so we know we're still making progress. Of course we haven't really gotten on a regular exercise plan with this diet - had we done that, we'd be much closer to our goal weights.

We have a hard time doing diet and exercise together - we've done one or the other but have never gotten to the point of doing both religiously yet. That's something I am working towards now.

Great advice....friending you!
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Regardless I what I ate, how much I exercised, what plan I tried, I was stuck in the same 5 pound weight range for 2 years. About a month ago, my ob-gyn suggested i try a LOW carb (not NO) plan, basically avoiding all the white stuff (Bread, Flour, Cereal, Rice, Corn, Potato), limit fruit to one apple/day, plus stick to 50g/carbs per day. He also said to continue drinking tons of water, especially WITH meals, and to focus on lean proteins and green veggies. I have done this and finally the scale is moving. I've lost 8 pounds in 3 weeks and feel so much better.
    I still eat carbs, but not all the white stuff. I still have a little frozen yogurt each night (part of my 50g) so I don't feel deprived.

Basically, I used the custom tools on MFP and flip flopped my Protein and Carb goals.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    My doctor sent me to a dietitian back in July. She put me on a low carb diet, not no carb. I eat all kinds of meats, veggies, some fruit (I limit to one a day), and I use butter, olive oil, coconut oil and walnut oil. I also eat cheese in moderation. I don't consume grains at all of any kind. I may have some sweet potato once every couple of weeks.

For breakfast I eat eggs scrambled in butter with onions, tomatoes, spinach, bell peppers and mushrooms. You could also add asparagus, broccoli or whatever veggies you like. I also have bacon with it. Sometimes sausage. But it varies - this morning I had beef stew I put in the crockpot last night.

For lunch I normally eat a big salad of veggies with some form of protein - chicken, steak, ground beef, pork loin, ham/turkey and a little shredded cheese. I use walnut oil as a salad dressing.

For dinner I have some form of protein -- steaks, chicken, pork chops, turkey, duck, liver. I add veggies with butter or olive oil. I like asparagus, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, zucchini, salad.

I eat raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, pears, grapefruit and apples. I will have a serving of fruit with either breakfast or lunch if I want fruit that day.

Sounds wonderful! I wanna come do the plan with you!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've seen a couple ppl post about no carbs for a week or two but what do you eat that has no carbs? Im pretty much eating what I want now just watching my size of portion and exercising almost every day but really pushing myself 3/4 days a week.

hi,

easy answer to your low carber question, most low carbers and athletes that are getting cut usually adopt a low carb goal of [50% fats + 30% proteins + 20% carbs = 100% energy for the day]. No carbs are your fish, meats, ESSENTIAL fats from cold pressed veggies like olives, coconuts, avacado.....

I love coconut milk, broths with beef tallow, lamb and steak, eggs, cheeses like gouda, and fresh raw dairy butter, pecans, sunflower seeds, avacados, ..... teas and coffees with heavy cream or coconut milk and stevia or black.

Veggies low in carbs are great, [squashes, greens, onions, leeks, parsley and herbs, peppers...]

as well as nuts are low in carbs. Nom Nom, there's a party in my tummy! Also, there will never be an essential carbohydrate! :) Good question, hope that I helped you. Are you looking to try to reduce carbs in your diet? marksdailyapple.com has some good receipes.
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    My brain works better with minimal carbs. Your brain needs fat.

It doesn't matter what I eat, my brain never works so I can eat whatever I want.

That's too bad :( I guess Im glad I found a way to combate stress, depresson, enxiety etc by eliminating sugar and grains, which is essentially the bulk of the carbs people eat. It works for me and nevermind the physical changes, I feel 10 years younger.
  • ysamatar
    ysamatar Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bump! to read later.
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Bump!!! :)
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My doctor sent me to a dietitian back in July. She put me on a low carb diet, not no carb. I eat all kinds of meats, veggies, some fruit (I limit to one a day), and I use butter, olive oil, coconut oil and walnut oil. I also eat cheese in moderation. I don't consume grains at all of any kind. I may have some sweet potato once every couple of weeks.

For breakfast I eat eggs scrambled in butter with onions, tomatoes, spinach, bell peppers and mushrooms. You could also add asparagus, broccoli or whatever veggies you like. I also have bacon with it. Sometimes sausage. But it varies - this morning I had beef stew I put in the crockpot last night.

For lunch I normally eat a big salad of veggies with some form of protein - chicken, steak, ground beef, pork loin, ham/turkey and a little shredded cheese. I use walnut oil as a salad dressing.

For dinner I have some form of protein -- steaks, chicken, pork chops, turkey, duck, liver. I add veggies with butter or olive oil. I like asparagus, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, yellow squash, zucchini, salad.

I eat raspberries, strawberries, blueberries, pears, grapefruit and apples. I will have a serving of fruit with either breakfast or lunch if I want fruit that day.

Sounds wonderful! I wanna come do the plan with you!

Barkin,

Check out www.marksdailyapple.com for information on the plan. I just ate a big salad for lunch topped with ground beef seasoned with taco spices along with some raspberries and strawberries. I'm full and it was very tasty.
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, you don't need carbs. Fats on the other hand, you do need. You'll die if you don't eat fat. So if you don't plan to eat carbs, you need to replace it with lots of fat. I'm guessing your diet should be at least 60% fat. Don't worry, you won't get fat eating fat as long as stay at a caloric deficit.

I used to use watered down heavy cream to use as a milk replacement.

NOT trying to be a smart a**, but wouldn't that mean you won't get fat from carbs as long as you stay at a caloric deficit?
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Which "no carb" diet are you talking about? I've never heard of a "no carb" diet.
    The title of your thread is misleading. You should have used the term "low carb".

I follow a Primal/Paleo style of eating which btw, isn't necessarily "low carb".
    I eat ...
    Meat, fish, chicken, whole eggs, veggies too numerous to list, berries if I have fruit, coconut oil, butter, avocado oil, ghee, coconut milk.
    I'm laying off the dairy for a bit but afterwards, I'll go back to Greek yogurt and the butter & ghee.

I eat NO grains. Or faux grains like quinoa. I don't eat legumes.
    My stomach thanks me. So do the people around me. :bigsmile:

I don't feel deprived in the least. I feel VERY satisfied eating this way.
    I also don't feel like I'm in danger of being deprived of nutrients by not eating grain carbs.
    The opposite as a matter of fact.

I wish you the Best! :flowerforyou:
  • Balsaboy
    Balsaboy Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just saw your post and thought I might mention a book I'm reading by Gary Taubes called Good Calroies, Bad Calories, Fats Carbs and the Controversial Science of Diet and Heath. I'm relatively new to the whole low carb thing -- I've been a vegan for nearly 20 years and eat what I would call a well balanced diet, but I've watched my weight steadily grow over the years. Some of it I can put a finger on -- lots of beer during university years and beyond that time didn't help -- but at the same time I've been an very active person (martial arts, running, regular workouts at the gym) and the weight kept going on.

At my heaviest I hit close to 250lbs, despite avoiding processed food, eating a purely vegan diet and cooking the majority of my own food. MFP and being conscious of my portion sizes has gone a long way towards my decrease in weight (now sitting somewhere around 226lbs), so I'm open to exploring new ideas around food and nutrition. Gary Taubes' book is making me think that my weight gain (and very slow progress with losing it) may have a lot to do with having too many carbs in my diet and maybe not enough fat. Taube argues that the problem with weight gain, obesity and diabetes lies in refined carbohydrates like white flour, easily digested starches and sugars, and that the key to good health has to do with the kind of calories we take in, not the number.

At any rate the book is extremely interesting, examining the studies and science of nutrition and full of documentation (not just someone giving an opinion with nothing to back it up or say were it came from). Long story short, I'm finding the low carb, high protein, high fat argument for weight loss very convincing, and the good news for me is this is an approach to eating that I can undertake and still be vegan.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I didn't have time to read all the replies so maybe this has already been answered. You eat meat, basically. But you would need to take supplements or eat parts of animals that are not commonly eaten in the US to get proper nutrition. If you don't eat organ meat or take a vitamin C supplement you'll likely get scurvy. I read an article about a group of people who ate only "meat" (animal parts) and were able to get proper nutrition (to the surprise of many) but some of the stuff sounded pretty disgusting. But I haven't tried it so I can only go by the description.

I love veggies too much to try it without a medical need, but if I had to do it I'd probably just take a multivitamin.