Im confused

Options
Hey everyone....best of luck on your endeavors!!...I started my weight loss journey on Monday and I weighed myself today (wednesday) and I gained a pound!!!.....How and why is this happening and has it happened to anyone else? before I started I ate when I was hungry and always maintained the same weight ( which I am trying to lose) but since starting to stick to my calorie amount given I put on weight....genuinely confused...HELP!!

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It's just a pound. Probably water weight. Don't stress about it. If you are the type to stress only weigh once a week and then try not to stress unless you see a gain 2 weeks in a row.
  • wendorfa
    Options
    First of all, don't weigh yourself all the time. Second, weigh yourself at the same time every time you weigh. For me, I like to weigh in the morning once I've gone to the bathroom and before I eat. I weigh in once a week, at the same time (roughly). Your weight will fluctuate even throughout the day. Try it, weigh yourself in the early morning, afternoon, and night...and you will see a change just in that day. Don't stress it :)
  • StL_Cardinal
    Options
    I agree...the scale can be deceiving and a psychological blow to your program. Conitnue to do whatever you are doing, which is working out, eating healthier, staying active and then go back to the scale on a seven day rotation.
  • kristinabb
    Options
    This happens to a LOT of people. This happened to me. When I was close to my start weight and started watching my diet I noticed I was GAINING . Let me explain possible reasons this happens. 1 ) your metabolism is slowing down (although it is probably already pretty slow if you are overweight and also if you do not work out on a regular basis) Your body by nature goes into a mode where it says to its self " I am being deprived of food, I must hold onto everything I can in order to survive". This happens especially if you have been heavy for many years and your body has become use to being a certain weight. The only thing I can tell you to do is jump start your metabolism by working out. Everyone raves about how you can lose weight with just diet and eventually yes you can but the better your metabolism is the better your body can process the food you eat. The more muscle and less fat you have on your body the more calories per pound your body can burn as well. Things to think about. Try maybe 1500 calories a day and burning some at the gym! It will pay off.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Not uncommon at all. I will say that if you just started on Monday and were expecting to see results this quickly, your expectations are a bit off. I would personally suggest that you not even bother weighing yourself until you're two to three weeks into your journey. Your body weight can vary by a number of pounds per day and ultimately what you're looking for is steady progress over the long haul. If you weigh yourself every day, you'll drive yourself insane watching your weight bob up and down. Hide your scale, only bring it out once every other week and watch the progress that way. I know you're anxious to see results, but trust me (and the others here) you'll save yourself a lot of stress by limiting your weigh-ins.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I go from 189 to 192 through out the week!