Do you count calories from gum or mints?

Options
Do you count calories from gum or mints?

I work in a huge place with meetings all the time. After lunch I will have either a piece of gum or a mint. Both are 5 calories. This is the only time I really eat these two items. And I don't eat them every day mainly before a meeting.

Do I need to count those calories? Its not like I am eating a pack of gum a day or having the whole tube of mints?

Sometimes, I will count them (especially if I have more than one) other times I don't. Its 5 calories.

Thoughts?

Replies

• HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    I don't personally. Those are taken care of by my calorie margin.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i dont - unless i pound down an entire box of tic tacs or something at once :) you go to the bathroom and you burn those calories from walking :)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Most days I wouldn't. I rarely have either, so the 5 calories would not be an issue.
  • MjDavis1981
    MjDavis1981 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have never counted them either, I use gum to keep me busy. When I feel hungry, it's my answer.
  • jenthestrawberry
    jenthestrawberry Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    There is going to be more than 5 calories inaccuracy in anything you count. 1 extra gram of carbohydrates in your meal has more than 5 calories. I'm not here to say if you "need" to count them or not. Just to remind you, all calorie counting is nothing more than an (extremely educated) estimate.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    if I have one, then not always...

but those calories from tiny things really add up. I didn't realize how much they add up until I got on this site and logged the couple of mints here, and the gum there. Man, that could have been another small meal or snack by the end of the day.
  • Mikesrobin
    Mikesrobin Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I count them if I remember. But I don't beat myself up if I forget. :grumble:
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    I do. But I chew a lot of gum. Probably about 25-50 cals per day worth.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    No, and I don't log the exercise from chewing the gum, either.
  • Degator
    Degator Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I do but only because I have a steadfast rule that if I eat it, it gets logged.
  • Redpeppa
    Options
    I chew on gum every time i go to the gym .. and i never count them calories
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    no! lol. it's only something like 5 calories a stick. we're getting into borderline eating disorder there.
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I track it all. It keeps me accountable for everything I put into my mouth.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    No, and I don't log the exercise from chewing the gum, either.
    You totally should! Might earn yourself a free glass of chocolate milk....hmm...I need to start chewing more gum.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I never do. I figure I probably burn more calories chewing the gum than I do consuming it.
  • megpapier
    megpapier Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from anorexia and used to be 68 lbs. (Went into treatment and now weigh 97 pounds!!! Yay!) I used to count calories in gum and even splenda packets....I don't think it's a healthy thing to do and like you said, it's only 5 calories. I think when you get that obsessed with calories it becomes, well, an obsession lol which is not a good thing. Before I plummetted in weight I used to be about 10 or 15 pounds over my ideal weight so anorexia/bulimia can start and affect anyone at any weight or size and get out of hand really quickly. I just don't want this to happen to anyone here which is why I'm going into detail about my disorder. I say enjoy that 5 calorie stick of gum! I hope this helps....
  • lisacandoit1965
    Options
    I dont I do chew gum every day I am at work bu I think it works out with my exercise never came down to only 5 or 10 calories on the days I work and walk :)
  • deanadimples
    deanadimples Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I don't count the little things like that.

The activity level I'm set to is low. My BMR is around 1400+ calories a day, which is based on if I did absolutely nothing all day (coma like). I figure by just moving around work and at home, I can easily burn the calories in things like that. My calorie deficit is big enough I lose. No reason to count those things.
  • ❤B☩❤
    Options
    I do not. And I just read yesterday that you burn 11 calories an hour by chewing gum, but I don't log that, either. So I think it's a wash.
  • thefishers4
    thefishers4 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I count them. To me calories are calories but if I do forget I don't get to upset about it.