Anyone going through or has gone though weight loss surgery?

Options
I'm just curious to know more about it. Let me give you a background on my family history and me, just so that you know what I am going up against. I have many people tell me to avoid the surgeries for a variety of different reasons. All of which are understandable. I just want to say that my entire family (both sides) are and have been very obese for their entire lives, and getting worse as age goes on. Each person, especially the women in my family are all 300+ or 400+ depending on age. My mom had the gastric bypass back in 2001 when it was much more archaic than it is now. She lost 170 pounds and has kept it off since. She had 2 stress related heart attacks in 2008 and 2010 which would have surely killed her if she had not lost the weight she did. My aunt also had the gastric bypass in 2007, and has had much sucess with it. She lost the majority of her weight (but gained some because as most surgery patients know, this is only a tool not a "fix it all") She ate what she wanted to instead of keeping on a modified diet as most people would do if they didn't have the surgery at all. Therefore, she gained some weight back, but was able to lose it fairly quickly.

Now for me, like I said I'm 24 years old, and I'm facing the same dillema. My highest weight was 357, and I know I will have to struggle with this my entire life. I enrolled in a bariatric program and had my mind set on having the gastric bypass for many reasons. Mostly my health. My weigh in at consultation was 307, and I need to lose 10% of my body weight before surgery. (Date has not been set yet, as I've been going through many pre-op tests, support groups, and nutrition meetings.) Losing 30 pounds, my doctors projected would take at least 6 months on a 1200 diet. (Trust me, this is NOT easy.) I started MFP before I even went in for consultation, and have been doing pretty well on it, especially now with such the restricted calorie intake. I've already lost 10 pounds of the 30 pounds needed in the course of 1 month.

A lot of people are saying, "At the rate you're going, you wont even need the surgery!" Which has wracked my mind a bit. I am doing very well, but I think to myself can I really restrict myself to a 1200 diet for the rest of my life? I am making sure I take vitamins and minerals to get the key nutrients that I need to maintain being healthy.

I guess my question is I would like to know if anyone is going through this, has any similar or different experiences, and of course I'm open to all opinions. I'd also love to have all of you as friends, because I have so much support on here, I would love to give back in any way I can. If you don't feel like posting in a public forum, feel free to message me!

I hope everyone has a wonderful and sucessful day, and make sure you count your non-scale victories as well as your scale victories. Don't let anything get you down. My second to last weigh in, I didn't lose or gain any weight. But my non scale victory was fitting into a size 20 skirt I haven't seen from high school. This weigh in, I lost 6 pounds. Scale victory. And a big one at that.

I finally got under the 300 pound mark. And for many of you, you know what a huge deal that is.

Again, feel free to add me as a friend, as I'm here for each and every one of you.

Peace, Love, & Get Healthy,
Jacklyn

Replies

• MrsWagz
    MrsWagz Posts: 41
    Options
    I think you have a great attitude and by the sounds of it, if you decide to have the surgery it will be for the right reasons! You made the statement "I don't know if I can stay on a 1200 calorie diet forever" but wouldn't you be restricted even more than that if you had the surgery??1200 calories is tough but at least you can eat more than that on days you excersise.. You sound pretty strong willed I'd love to see how well you do on your own first and see how far you can go!! I'd love to friend you tho help motivate you along!! Keep up the good work, your story is very inspirational
  • suzikay
    suzikay Posts: 50
    Options
    You wouldn't need to stay on 1200 calories for life - once you reach your goal weight, you can up it according to what you need to maintain that weight. I've not had the surgery, but have been managing t lose weight very well on 1200 a day, apart from a blip when I had a total hip replacement a couple of weeks ago, and the prosthesis plus all the swelling/fluid retention caused massive leap but in a week, 8lbs of that has gone again! What I like about MFP is that we are learning a healthier way to eat and being educated regarding what is calorific and /or high fat, and what is filling but better value in terms of calorie content, The habit will hopefully last for life, even when we can eat a higher calorie allowance.
  • jsteinberg87
    jsteinberg87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    With the surgery, what happens is you only absorb 25% of the calories you intake. Therefore I wouldnt be restricted as much, because it really lowers how much you take in.
  • cdelay2
    cdelay2 Posts: 10
    Options
    My advice to you would be to first of all - keep up the good work! Sounds like you have taken some very important steps. As for whether or not to have the surgery, you need to do what is in your heart and what you and your doctor feel is best for your health. Don't compare yourself to others necessarily. Everyone is different.

Don't get too stuck on using multi-vitamins to get the vitamins you need. Make sure you are making healthy food choices. Losing the weight is a life altering change, not a diet. Once you start making healthy choices over time, it gets easier and becomes a lifestyle.

Also, you should likely be eating more than 1200 calories right now. If you put your current information into the MFP tool, it will calculate the number of calories you should be eating each day to lose weight.

Make sure you are exercising too. Even if it is going for a casual walk, anything to get you moving.

Good luck!! :smile:
  • smbland
    smbland Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been in the high 200's for most of my adult life... and have toyed around with the idea of surgery as well -- but never went for any consultations or anything -- but in reality.. I feel that if you have done EVERYTHING you can, and eating healthy and working out really is not helping... then the consideration for surgery is worthwhile. But, if you've just come to the realization that you want to lose weight, and your first step is surgery, I think you need to rethink that. I know many successful people that have had surgery.. but I know many more unsuccessful people, like your aunt they figured out how to expand the stomach muscle and eat what they want... NOT saying you are going to do that - you seem like you have a good head on your shoulders, but I am an advocate for doing it the old fashioned way. Try eating healthier, maybe not limit yourself SO low at the 1200, but keep it pretty decent... walk for 30 minutes every couple of days, and see where your weight loss is in a year. If you have stay on that path I feel you will be extremely successful! Good luck!!
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    With the surgery, what happens is you only absorb 25% of the calories you intake. Therefore I wouldnt be restricted as much, because it really lowers how much you take in.
    Curious, did any of your family have dumping syndrome or other complications? You will make the choice that is best for you, but in your position (as someone who is still over 300 pounds and has considered surgery), I would hold off on the surgery. As you know, it is a very serious, complicated surgery with a lot of risks. If you are losing well on your own, I would try it for awhile. You can always go back to the other option if it stops working.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I think you have a great attitude and by the sounds of it, if you decide to have the surgery it will be for the right reasons! You made the statement "I don't know if I can stay on a 1200 calorie diet forever" but wouldn't you be restricted even more than that if you had the surgery??1200 calories is tough but at least you can eat more than that on days you excersise.. You sound pretty strong willed I'd love to see how well you do on your own first and see how far you can go!! I'd love to friend you tho help motivate you along!! Keep up the good work, your story is very inspirational

I agree. Sounds like you have a great attitude. You also have your head on straight about it & realize it won't be a magic fix-all. With that said, even routine surgeries are risky, my mother almost died during a routine hysterectomy and my aunt did die from a blood clot she got after a knee surgery. So I, too, would like to see you try it first without the surgery, since you've been so successful thus far.

Also, if this is something that runs in your family, have you had anyone check to see if there's a metabolic disorder in your family? We discovered that a tendency towards insulin resistance runs in my family. Doctors missed the diagnosis, in *all* of us, for decades. Once I was diagnosed & told other family members, they're specifically asking their doctors about it and are now discovering that they have it too... anyway, once I was finally diagnosed, and got on a diet that would work with my metabolism, I've been able to lose weight consistently for the first time in my life.

So I'm trying to say: make sure you've completely ruled out any other possible causes for your obesity. But if you have, then just use your own judgment.

Good luck to you!
  • jsteinberg87
    Options

I agree. Sounds like you have a great attitude. You also have your head on straight about it & realize it won't be a magic fix-all. With that said, even routine surgeries are risky, my mother almost died during a routine hysterectomy and my aunt did die from a blood clot she got after a knee surgery. So I, too, would like to see you try it first without the surgery, since you've been so successful thus far.

Also, if this is something that runs in your family, have you had anyone check to see if there's a metabolic disorder in your family? We discovered that a tendency towards insulin resistance runs in my family. Doctors missed the diagnosis, in *all* of us, for decades. Once I was diagnosed & told other family members, they're specifically asking their doctors about it and are now discovering that they have it too... anyway, once I was finally diagnosed, and got on a diet that would work with my metabolism, I've been able to lose weight consistently for the first time in my life.

So I'm trying to say: make sure you've completely ruled out any other possible causes for your obesity. But if you have, then just use your own judgment.

Good luck to you!

I guess I should have included more about me! I suffer from hypothyroidism - as do most people in my family. So there is a metabolism issue there. It really is a lot to think about!!!
  • jsteinberg87
    Options
    Curious, did any of your family have dumping syndrome or other complications? You will make the choice that is best for you, but in your position (as someone who is still over 300 pounds and has considered surgery), I would hold off on the surgery. As you know, it is a very serious, complicated surgery with a lot of risks. If you are losing well on your own, I would try it for awhile. You can always go back to the other option if it stops working.

One thing I am worried about is the complications in my family post surgery were malabsorption issues. So I am very concerned about that!
  • Kgcoyne
    Options

This statement not true. I had gastric by pass surgery 9 months ago.... to date have lost 89 pounds. please feel free to email me with questions, but I just wanted you to know that you absorb all your calories that you take in, trust me.....the surgery restricts the amount you can take in at one time....its more like you can only eat 25% of what you use to eat. I am using MFP now, and can easily go to 1200 calories a day.......and trust me I absorb all those calories. The reason you lose so much weight at the beginning, is because you are eating so little food.......

Being so young, I wonder if you really want to do the surgery....there is no going back once its done....there are many things to consider that are life long side effects of this surgery. Malabsorbtion being the most important one....you will be on many many vitamins for the rest of your life..... hair loss.......most of us lose a significant amount of hair, granted it grows back eventually......... not being allowed to take certain medications forever....like iuprofen, aleve etc..... its tylenol all the way.... and then there are the complications from the surgery itself.... lucky for me I have had none, but some people have many..... and its not fun.

Even with the surgery, you know its easy to lose weight for awhile, but then you need to do what your doing to keep it off.....or else in just comes back on....... it may seems like a quick easy fix, and it is.....but only for 1 yr....then its work work work......and certain things, foods, you may not tolerate anymore, ever........some people have no issues with food......but thats the chance you take.

Good luck with your decision.
  • jsteinberg87
    Options
    I have been in the high 200's for most of my adult life... and have toyed around with the idea of surgery as well -- but never went for any consultations or anything -- but in reality.. I feel that if you have done EVERYTHING you can, and eating healthy and working out really is not helping... then the consideration for surgery is worthwhile. But, if you've just come to the realization that you want to lose weight, and your first step is surgery, I think you need to rethink that. I know many successful people that have had surgery.. but I know many more unsuccessful people, like your aunt they figured out how to expand the stomach muscle and eat what they want... NOT saying you are going to do that - you seem like you have a good head on your shoulders, but I am an advocate for doing it the old fashioned way. Try eating healthier, maybe not limit yourself SO low at the 1200, but keep it pretty decent... walk for 30 minutes every couple of days, and see where your weight loss is in a year. If you have stay on that path I feel you will be extremely successful! Good luck!!

I totally agree when you say that some people JUST COME TO THE REALIZATION. I've had many failed attempts in the last 10 years. I won't list them all, but they include special diets, programs, nutritionists, personal trainers, etc etc etc... a total of 8 different attempts I believe. The most was when I did Atkins and reduced carbs, but gained it all back and thensome. So I'm at a point where I excercized all my options pretty much. Surprisigly this works for me (based on 1200 intake granted) - so I do have alot to think about. But for others possibly considering surgery, I'm really glad you brought this up.
  • jsteinberg87
    Options

This statement not true. I had gastric by pass surgery 9 months ago.... to date have lost 89 pounds. please feel free to email me with questions, but I just wanted you to know that you absorb all your calories that you take in, trust me.....the surgery restricts the amount you can take in at one time....its more like you can only eat 25% of what you use to eat. I am using MFP now, and can easily go to 1200 calories a day.......and trust me I absorb all those calories. The reason you lose so much weight at the beginning, is because you are eating so little food.......

Being so young, I wonder if you really want to do the surgery....there is no going back once its done....there are many things to consider that are life long side effects of this surgery. Malabsorbtion being the most important one....you will be on many many vitamins for the rest of your life..... hair loss.......most of us lose a significant amount of hair, granted it grows back eventually......... not being allowed to take certain medications forever....like iuprofen, aleve etc..... its tylenol all the way.... and then there are the complications from the surgery itself.... lucky for me I have had none, but some people have many..... and its not fun.

Even with the surgery, you know its easy to lose weight for awhile, but then you need to do what your doing to keep it off.....or else in just comes back on....... it may seems like a quick easy fix, and it is.....but only for 1 yr....then its work work work......and certain things, foods, you may not tolerate anymore, ever........some people have no issues with food......but thats the chance you take.

Good luck with your decision.

Very interesting. When my mom had the surgery, she had severe malabsorbtion issues. I really would love to talk to you more in private. Could you shoot me a message on here? Also, the surgeon told me that the gastric bypass is now reversable. Which is interesting because we have two different sets of information. I'd like to know your opinions, because if I'm essentially ALREADY doing what a gastric would do for me, I have a huge desicion to make.
  • jsteinberg87
    Options
    Bump! I just want to see anyone else's input
  • MelissaSel
    MelissaSel Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I have been over 250 for several years. I would never consider surgery. For some reason, there are several people in my small community who have had it. I have seen one "successful" person out of them all. By success I mean that she hasn't put on the weight (I think she had her surgery 3 or 4 years ago), but she drinks a lot of alcohol... not sure how she does it. I've never seen her eat. One friend had it about 5 years ago and has had numerous surgeries since because of complications. She has been told that there will be more problems and more surgeries in her future. I don't know the exact problem. In the past year I bet she has gained 30 lbs. I see her eat every time I see her. She eats a large order of french fries and 3 taquitos in a sitting. Or a couple chicken strips and order of fries. I can't understand why she thinks it's okay to eat that kind of food. No one I know has changed their eating habits. They continue to eat crappy, friend, greasy, rich food... the same foods that made them fat. Another friend lost 200 lbs, and has put at least half of that back on... all within about 5 years... and her sister paid for that surgery. A lady I worked with looked really good, but has since put on 50-75 lbs. When I worked with her she would come to work every day with cookies and candy. She would munch at her desk all day, go to the restroom and throw up, then come out and eat some more. In her case, the surgery pretty much turned her into a bulimic... yet she continues to gain. One more... an acquaintance had the surgery in May. I just found out about it. I couldn't tell. I was shocked to find out about it because I don't think she's lost any weight. Every time I see her she is drinking alcohol and eating burgers and fries and onion rings (I have a part time job at a bar... that's why I see these people eating and drinking the way they do).

You have been successful in losing 10 lbs. Just keep at it, you can do it. YOU can break the cycle in your family. YOU can be the example that surgery is not necessary... only proper diet and exercise is going to take the weight off and KEEP it off. I'm afraid if you have it now you are in for a lifetime of disappointment. You stated you couldn't imagine restricting yourself to 1200 calories a day for the rest of your life. What do you think you will be required to do if you have surgery? Same thing. You are young and strong... you can do this on your own.

On a side note... the weight coming off that fast will leave you needing surgery to remove the extra skin or you will look horrible and not feel that much better about yourself. Taking it off slow, as you are doing right now... you're young enough the skin might just bounce back and look good!
  • bestmomtr
    bestmomtr Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have started also looking into the weight sleeve.
  • Hoshneer
    Hoshneer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    You wont be on a 1200 calorie diet forever. In fact you could probably go to 1400 now you just wont lose weight as fast. Once you lose your intended weight you will switch to to maintenance calories which will probably be around 1800 or 2000 a day depending on your body.
  • Bruanne
    Options
    I have been over 250 for several years. I would never consider surgery. For some reason, there are several people in my small community who have had it. I have seen one "successful" person out of them all. By success I mean that she hasn't put on the weight (I think she had her surgery 3 or 4 years ago), but she drinks a lot of alcohol... not sure how she does it. I've never seen her eat. One friend had it about 5 years ago and has had numerous surgeries since because of complications. She has been told that there will be more problems and more surgeries in her future. I don't know the exact problem. In the past year I bet she has gained 30 lbs. I see her eat every time I see her. She eats a large order of french fries and 3 taquitos in a sitting. Or a couple chicken strips and order of fries. I can't understand why she thinks it's okay to eat that kind of food. No one I know has changed their eating habits. They continue to eat crappy, friend, greasy, rich food... the same foods that made them fat. Another friend lost 200 lbs, and has put at least half of that back on... all within about 5 years... and her sister paid for that surgery. A lady I worked with looked really good, but has since put on 50-75 lbs. When I worked with her she would come to work every day with cookies and candy. She would munch at her desk all day, go to the restroom and throw up, then come out and eat some more. In her case, the surgery pretty much turned her into a bulimic... yet she continues to gain. One more... an acquaintance had the surgery in May. I just found out about it. I couldn't tell. I was shocked to find out about it because I don't think she's lost any weight. Every time I see her she is drinking alcohol and eating burgers and fries and onion rings (I have a part time job at a bar... that's why I see these people eating and drinking the way they do).

You have been successful in losing 10 lbs. Just keep at it, you can do it. YOU can break the cycle in your family. YOU can be the example that surgery is not necessary... only proper diet and exercise is going to take the weight off and KEEP it off. I'm afraid if you have it now you are in for a lifetime of disappointment. You stated you couldn't imagine restricting yourself to 1200 calories a day for the rest of your life. What do you think you will be required to do if you have surgery? Same thing. You are young and strong... you can do this on your own.

On a side note... the weight coming off that fast will leave you needing surgery to remove the extra skin or you will look horrible and not feel that much better about yourself. Taking it off slow, as you are doing right now... you're young enough the skin might just bounce back and look good!

Melissa, I am sorry that you are only surrounded by "failures" of WLS. However, I will state that they also would be "failures" on any diet! Regardless of how one loses weight, if one does NOT continue to follow the program, one WILL gain the weight back. When deciding on surgery you have to look at this as any diet: will you follow the plan? Will you use the tools? If you don't think you have the wherewithall to be diligent, then why bother to do any diet?
    I truly believe that surgery is not for everyone and in my opinion is just WRONG for anyone under the age of 40. Most people in their twenties have not suffered the everlasting consequences of being overweight and just don't have enough "dieting" under their belts. And most younger people usually don't have the serious co-morbidities required to have the surgery. This is a lifelong job regardless of how old you are BUT it requires a whole new way of looking at food - and not just the calories. Dieting is a science, difficult yet simple. Calories in, expended calories out. If you take in more than your body needs without doing exercise to boost your metabolism, you're going to gain weight. But I know you all know that.
    My decision to have surgery was based on the fact that two doctors told me I was going to die from complications of diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure. I'm 59 years old and have been obese all of my life. I weighed 150 pounds at age nine. I've been on almost every diet out there. This surgery saved my life or at least added another 10 years to it.
    And to "Bestmomtr" please look carefully into the "sleeve". It is irreversible! And if something should happend to what's left of your stomach, you'll be in worse shape than just being overweight. Rouex-en Y Gastric Bypass leaves you with your original stomach, although just not attached, yet still there!!.
    As other's have said, surgery is just a tool. What is required the most is a change in the way we think of food and the kinds of food we eat.
    Good luck to all in whatever decision is made.
  • beach_bum_gurl
    Options
    I am 5+ years out from RnY. You can read about my story if you like on my MFP blog. It would be in the first couple of postings in the archives.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/beach_bum_gurl

Of course, I could also try to answer any question that you may have privately as well.
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Surgery is not a fix all. I had VSG in Jan and have lost 146 lbs. I feel great and I'm healthy. Have u considered that the people you see eating crappy food where u work are having a treat??? I eat right 80% of the time but if I go out which is not very often I can have what I damn well please and if someone knows about my surgery and says anything id tell them off. Just like when ur doing this without surgery trats are ok. Are u with them at every meal?? Do u go to their home and check to make sure they are eating to ur standards? Didn't think so....pls get a clue.
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve of jan 24th. I've lost 146 lbs and I'm 18 lbs from goal. Starting weight was 304. No one knows what's right for u. I am also 24 and have been told by older wls patients that they wish they had done it at our age. My joint pain is gone. I feel comfortable in my own skin. I feel full after a cup of food and I love that. Now here's the bad. When I eat too fast I throw up. Bread is more difficult to eat but I don't miss it at all. And if I have a craving guess what? I eat some!! Not like I used to but I'm not gonna feel deprived. I try to eat protein first, then veggies, then carbs. I did get dehyrated a couple of times. Besides that its been all good. I eat what I want. Today we went out for the first time in 2 weeks. Steak n Shake. I had a handful of fries and half of my mushroom and swiss burger. The rest is tomorrows lunch. I eat fried food, cookies, and all that stuff. Difference is its not everyday or even every week. And beauty is now I can control how much I have of it!! Pls research and get all the facts! Good luck!! Feel free to add me as a friend and if u have any questions id be happy to answer them!