can it really be this simple?

Options
i've only been doing this for three days and i have been more concious of what i've been eating, but i've been satisfied after all my meals, had snacks and even wine and/or chocolate and still been under my calorie limit. i haven't even had to eat my exercise calories. AM I DOING IT RIGHT? it can't be this simple can it?

help please
xxx

Replies

• mallie233
    Options
    You do need to eat your exercise calories. But yep! That simple!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    its funny, but i've just been thinking the same tonight. i always imagined i'd be constantly starving or thinking about food when calorie counting but i'm not. i think its just making us more aware of what we're eating and encouraging us to exercise to balance it out
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    It really is that easy! :D

As stated above tho i strongly suggest you eat back at least half of those exercise cals :]
  • Cathy92
    Cathy92 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    yes, it is that simple and it works!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i've only been doing this for three days and i have been more concious of what i've been eating, but i've been satisfied after all my meals, had snacks and even wine and/or chocolate and still been under my calorie limit. i haven't even had to eat my exercise calories. AM I DOING IT RIGHT? it can't be this simple can it?

help please
    xxx

If you feel well and have been taking care of basic nutritional needs then yep, you are doing it exactly right.

Cue 6 page debate on why you should / shouldnt eat back your exercise calories / half of them etc.
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    That is great!

I rarely eat back my exercise calories. I think you need to find what works for you, one way or the other.
  • radix89
    radix89 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I always say dieting is easy. It's keeping it off I'm not any good at :/
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    YES. Commiting and acting upon that commitment.
    It truly is as easy as eating that Cupcake.
  • ymvestal
    Options
    Like you I was confused as to whether or not to be eating my exercise calories back.

I went to my doctor just 2 days ago. I told him about being part of this website and depending on who you ask depends on the answer you get back, so I wanted an answer from him to clarify if necessary. I asked him if I should eat back my calories lost from exercising. He asked if I was more hungry than usual since starting to exercise. I honestly answered no...he said, "if you aren't hungry, don't eat them back. " He is perfectly aware I am only eating 1200 cals per day and seemed ok that I exercised 350 - 450 cals off of the 1200 eaten calories.

And yes, it really is this easy!!!
  • Paulette56
    Paulette56 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Be sure the portion size you are recording matches what you are actually eating. Measure and weigh food in the beginning to be sure. Other than that-- Yes, it is that simple.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I always say dieting is easy. It's keeping it off I'm not any good at :/

This is where your mental view of "Diet" has done you wrong. Here is the REAL meaning of Diet:

di·et/ˈdī-it/Noun: 1.The kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.

If you only cycle through "Diets" then you are cycling a Fad.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    no no no stop the eat back calories debate... Thats like arguing religion on these forums.... DO NOT START ~!
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options

help please
    xxx

YES! It IS that Simple. As long as you WORK your Plan, CONSTANTLY = Day in Day out! I felt like you; things were going sooo well and simple. After a while I THOUGHT I could Speed-Up the Process, so I began doing Dramatic stuff; This caused Me to fall away from My Plan (because I OVER deprived Myself and That causes Yo-Yo, which cause stagnation.) NOW, I'm BACK on point, I am satisfied, give Myself little "treats" within My Plan and Calories, weigh every month or two and just LIVE LIFE! I never knew 1350 Calories could be sooo much food and satisfying, and can lose weight.

JUST KISS = Keep It Simple Sweetie! You will get the urge to "do more" BUT actually, that is doing Less! REMEMBER: Eat your exercise calories or some part of them IF you need them! There are No real LAWS to Wt Loss Except, Burn More Calories Than You Eat...AND MOST of that Relates to BASIL Caloric Intake! Wt Loss and Maintenance is 90% What You Eat and 10% ACTIVITY (NOT necessarily an Exercise Routine. (Work what works for YOU until it DOES NOT work any more, THEN TWEAK!)
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Yes it is that simple of a concept, although it seems from the messages on this forum that not everyone finds it as easy as you have. Personally, as long as I watch my calories and macro-nutrients (carbs, proteins & fats) I have no problem dropping pounds. I'm also a firm believer that losing weight should be a lifestyle change not a diet with a start and finish. To make it a permanent change you have to find an approach to your overall diet that allows you to continue eating the foods you love. You just need to learn how to incorporate them in a healthy way which it sounds like you have. This is the key to preventing binges and cravings which I personally believe is a major key to success.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Glad someone finds this easy! I could easily eat double of what Im allowed :-/