New to oats! Help please?

Options
13»

Replies

• shannon121278
    Options
    There are many ways to make oatmeal. My favorite Is baked oatmeal and I make it many different ways. My current favorite recipe is made with puréed pumpkin and fresh cranberries. I make a huge batch for the week and eat it cold with a little bit of greek yogurt.

3 cups rolled oats
    2 cups almond milk
    2 eggs
    1.5 cups pumpkin purée
    1/4 cup organic agave
    2 cups fresh cranberries
    1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
    2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1/4 tsp sea salt

Pre heat oven to 350
    Mix all ingredients in a large glass casserole dish
    Bake uncovered for 20 min
    Remove from oven, stir and cook an additional 10 mins
    Store in covered container in refrigerator.

Makes approx 8 servings
    208 calories
    6 g protein
    6 g fiber
    14 g sugar
    37 carbs
    4 g fat

That sounds delicious!
  • shannon121278
    Options
    raisins..... always raisins! yum..

I'm not a big raisin fan. Haha. But if I was, thanks for the idea!
  • shannon121278
    Options
    I throw frozen blueberries in my oats...I cook them on the stovetop. Chop up a banana and throw in some walnuts, cinnamon and a little brown sugar and it's very yummy. Applesauce stirred in is also good. Oh and fresh peaches and cinnamon....mmmmmm Think I will have oatmeal for breakfast! And baked oatmeal is wonderful....

I was thinking some sort of apple cinnamon oatmeal sounded good, but I didn't know how well fresh apples would do in it, and I thought maybe applesauce, but wasn't sure how it would turn out! Seems like a lot of you have the ideas I had originally thought of, but didn't have the confidence to just try it! I should have just gone with it! Haha. Love the new ideas though!

Hi
    All i do for apple cinnamon is cut up a fresh apple (including the skin) into little 1cm cubes and put the apple, 1/2 cup of oats, a little shake of cinnamon (a little goes a long way), and some water - and i cook it in the microwave. Usually 1 minute, then stir, then another minute. The apple cooks in the oats and becomes kinda syrupie and sweet and yummy! Once its cooked, i add a little milk and voila! I "stole" this recipe off a famous vegan trainer! Its the best!

Yum. Thanks for the tips of microwaving with the apples in it. Sounds delicious!
  • coloradocuppiecake
    Options
    I looooove oatmeal these days. I have a couple that I use regularly. I cook my rolled oats on the stove top.
    I use half water half almond milk with vanilla.
    apples cut up with cinamon and I cook them for a bit in the water before adding the oats.
    then add oats and some walnuts and a bit of craisins.

My next one I call my tropicalli Oaties
    I use vanilla almond milk
    about a 1/4 cup lite coconut milk
    1/2 c mandarin oranges (sugar free)
    a pinch of shredded coconut.
    oats
    and when it's all done, I top it with a sliced banana.

Usually I make enough for 2 days.
    But when you reheat it in the microwave, make sure to add more almond milk to it when it cooks.
    Also Hungry Girl has alot of oatmeal recipes
  • knickelson23
    knickelson23 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Natural peanut butter and diet hot chocolate mix (sprinkle to your liking). Tastes like no-bake cookies! Mmmmm.
  • Jolenebib
    Jolenebib Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Zucchini with cinnamon and nutmeg. Dried cranberries with almonds and or walnuts. I usually mix in a bit of cinnamon instead of sugar. Milk!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    fresh diced apples and golden raisins. I also like fresh peaches diced in too. I like to add a T. of flax seed. with the fruit. A taste of brown sugar or maple syrup with the fruit is yummy too.
  • gracibelle
    Options
    Cocoa powder and stevia! It adds a little fiber and protein, and it tastes like a brownie :)
    I also add 2 tbsp light soy milk for some extra protein.
  • gracibelle
    Options
    oh! And I sometimes make chai tea and and then use tea instead of water. It's yummy :) I bet you could do that with any flavor tea... it doesn't add any calories, but it adds some great antixoxidants!
  • shannon121278
    Options
    Zucchini with cinnamon and nutmeg. Dried cranberries with almonds and or walnuts. I usually mix in a bit of cinnamon instead of sugar. Milk!

Zucchini, never heard of that one!
  • shannon121278
    Options
    oh! And I sometimes make chai tea and and then use tea instead of water. It's yummy :) I bet you could do that with any flavor tea... it doesn't add any calories, but it adds some great antixoxidants!

Hmm, sounds kind of good. I wonder how good just regular tea would be in it? That's all I usually have at home is just plain original tea bags.