what is REAL purpose of HRM?

Options
2»

Replies

• AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I like mine so I can track my HR and keep me in the correct zone. And helps me get the most out of my workout.
    Seems to be the most accurate for tracking cals burned too.

This...I don't know how anything could track accurately without detecting a heart rate. My Polar FT7 is the best piece of "equipment" I have ever invested in.

me too
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Each type of HRM has its own method of calculation. Some take more factors into consideration than others. Some just strictly overestimate, but the fact of the matter is that there is no way to know for sure exactly how many calories are burned in a single activity. HRM's do accurately track your heart rate, and therefore, can help you to know when to increase or decrease your effort depending on what you are hoping to achieve with exercise. But the calorie counting feature of an HRM is really just an educated guess.
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Good start Avalonis. So if the BodyBugg doesn't track off heart rate, how does it track calories burned? I know I can google it, but humor me if you know. :)

If something is better than what I have to get me to my goal, I'm all for at least considering it.

Bodybug/Bodymedia both go off body temp, motion, accelerometed, blood flow, moisture level, ect.

Bodymedia official site:
    Using four sophisticated sensors, the Armband captures over 5,000 data points per minute — from heat and sweat to steps and calories burned — every minute of every day. If you take a walk, most body monitors (ours included) show a level of calorie burn. Take that same walk up Mt. McKinley or any incline and we'll show you a higher calorie burn. BodyMedia FIT captures that important difference because our sensors measure more variables and give you the most accurate calorie burn.*

Basically, its the most accurate calories burned tracker short of a portable oxygen analyzer, which is like $50,000.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    How does a calorie tracker track the calories if it doesn't go off of heart rate? Isn't it just an estimate, like what you can find here? Am I just confused?

This was my thought.

HRM are way more accurate. Making the margin of error smaller

Actually, the good calorie trackers like BodyMedia FIT and Bodybug don't go off of HR, and they are clinically proven to be far more accurate. Especially since they can be used 100% of the time, not just while you are working out.

/\ This!
  • 0PhAtDaDdY
    0PhAtDaDdY Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 with chest strap, it seperates Fat Burn/Fitness example today I wanted to excercise in the Fat Burn Zone only so I keep an eye on the Heart Rate to make sure I don't excersie extremely hard. If you exercise in the Fitness Zone you are building muscle. Bottom Line it's a fun toy to play with while exercising keeps ya mind off da work.:glasses:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    How does a calorie tracker track the calories if it doesn't go off of heart rate? Isn't it just an estimate, like what you can find here? Am I just confused?

This was my thought.

HRM are way more accurate. Making the margin of error smaller

Actually, the good calorie trackers like BodyMedia FIT and Bodybug don't go off of HR, and they are clinically proven to be far more accurate. Especially since they can be used 100% of the time, not just while you are working out.

I learned something new today! I didn't actually know how BodyMedia FIT and such worked. I assumed they were HRM! Thank you for informing me :D
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Good start Avalonis. So if the BodyBugg doesn't track off heart rate, how does it track calories burned? I know I can google it, but humor me if you know. :)

If something is better than what I have to get me to my goal, I'm all for at least considering it.

Bodybug/Bodymedia both go off body temp, motion, accelerometed, blood flow, moisture level, ect.

Bodymedia official site:
    Using four sophisticated sensors, the Armband captures over 5,000 data points per minute — from heat and sweat to steps and calories burned — every minute of every day. If you take a walk, most body monitors (ours included) show a level of calorie burn. Take that same walk up Mt. McKinley or any incline and we'll show you a higher calorie burn. BodyMedia FIT captures that important difference because our sensors measure more variables and give you the most accurate calorie burn.*

Basically, its the most accurate calories burned tracker short of a portable oxygen analyzer, which is like $50,000.

Awesome, thanks.

See, you are good for something besides just eye candy. :wink:
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Crap. Now I wish I had bought a BodyBugg instead of my Polar F4.
  • Stephanie08
    Stephanie08 Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I like my HRM because I'm obsessive and want to know right down to the exact calorie....plus I like to use it to know what Zone I'm working out in so I can adjust my exercise to move my heart rate as needed.
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    bump
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I like my HRM because I'm obsessive and want to know right down to the exact calorie....plus I like to use it to know what Zone I'm working out in so I can adjust my exercise to move my heart rate as needed.

But that's kind of the point. HRM's can't be exact when it comes to calories.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM (a good Polar) because I like to have a close estimate. Food counting is an estimate, HRM count is an estimate, but the more tools you have the closer you can come to approximating the actual. I considered BodyBugg or whatever, but didn't find the expense worth it, however the Polar was. I tried several different HRM's and online trackers and found that a Polar with a chest strap was the best option for me.
  • spottedlee
    Options
    But that's kind of the point. HRM's can't be exact when it comes to calories.

That was my thinking too, wondering why do we really need HRM or how it works to determine calories burn? so far, I am not convinced yet. The more I thought about it, this is what I will do,, I will use the MFP's exercise diary and eat-back HALF of what I "supposely" burned to allow for errors.....

Thank you all for your inputs.