Hard time consuming 1200 calories

Options
I've went on a complete health nut way of life. I've take sugar out of my diet all together, I do however do splenda or other forms of no calorie sweeteners.

My issue is now that I've stopped frying foods, stopped eating out, and went healthy, I have a hard time reaching my 1200 calories a day. I usually consume 800 sometimes 1000 calories, I really try to eat at least 1000. I burn more then I eat and I know that is not a good thing. How can I work on consuming what I need to eat a healthy amount of calories?

Let me add this.. I don't have much of an appetite, I normally have to force myself to eat anything, I do have 4 small meals a day but it's hardly ever over 1000 unless we go out.

Replies

• sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Let me edit this.

I'm also having this problem. I cut out all non-healthy things (don't even keep them in my apartment), hardly have dessert or sugar.... and I'm really watching my carbs..... So it becomes a struggle to make that 1200 point. I KNOW I need to hit that point, and I WANT to hit that point and then some, so I am very curious to hear what people to say.

Do you recommend adding more full-fat items into my daily intake?

Allowing myself more carbs?

Interested to hear input
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I really don't know what you want to hear. You just have to eat more calories. Period.

Try more calorie-dense foods like avocados, nuts, chocolate, peanut butter, etc.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue...I got rid of all the non-healthy stuff in my house, and I have modified all my recipes so now they are healthy for you...so it is a battle each day to get to over 1000 calories....today for example, I just had peanut butter and crackers to get the calories up and I wasn't even that hungry.....interested in hearing what others have to say about this topic.
  • kelleymfrost
    kelleymfrost Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Try incorporating more high calorie healthy fats. When Im way under...I go for almonds, peanut butter, trail mix... That kind of thing.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Guess my issue really is, I don't know what is considered "Healthy" high calories lol. Does that make sense? I'm afraid if it is high in calorie then I'm going to blow my diet.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Yeah you really do or else weight loss will stall.

But let me ask you, why aren't you feeling hungry? wondering about an underlying issue? could be anything from tiredness, feeling low emotionally, bored....you name it, many thing that make other over eat will make others feel less hungy>

Just something to consider.

Cook with a little olive oil when you sautee foods, 1 table spoon is about 120 calories and is good for digestion - and a healthy fat.
  • prestonmay
    prestonmay Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem with reaching 3k cal. I had to add more protein to all 7 meals I do.... It was easy to reach when I was eating at McDonalds ---- But I go to STEAK and SHAKE - The lessor of the two evils. Protein shakes, Protein Bars and EGG WHITES have become my best friend. I had to increase my Breakfast to 1000 cals to reach the 3k cal goal. Losing and Gaining is easier then maintaining IMO.

P.S. The MFP Nutrition guide is RDA... WAY TOO MANY CARBS
    40 % protein , 40 %carbs and 20% fat.....is the custom guide most use to build muscle and burn fat.

I eat 90 percent of my CARBS by 2 pm....
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    eat a baked potato with sour cream & butter - 400 calories easy. cheese adds at least 100 cals to any burger or sandwich and mayonnaise doubles that. smoothies don't require much appetite & are calorie dense. Milkshakes, ice cream. if all else fails, try protein powders
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Guess my issue really is, I don't know what is considered "Healthy" high calories lol. Does that make sense? I'm afraid if it is high in calorie then I'm going to blow my diet.

Just read this! you can do tons of research right here about healthy fats......other posters already named the most popular ones!
  • bootbuilder
    Options
    You may need to add a protein shake into your daily diet. This will give you protein and healthy calories. Check out Dashing Dish website for some great variations for protein shakes. My hubby will have one in the afternoon and then one before bed if he needs more calorie intake.

Also as others have said - peanut butter, almonds, cottage cheese, greek yogurt will give you lots of protein which your body needs if you are eating less than you work off and good healthy calories.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating more high calorie fruits and vegetables and healthy fat sources. If at the end of the day you're sitting at 800 calories and aren't that hungry, an apple or banana with some peanut butter will help and it isn't that much food. The bottom line you should probably be concerned about is if you're getting enough of the right nutrients. See where you might be lacking and eat foods with those vitamins or minerals. :) Good luck!
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    There's about a million threads on this so try the search function and read up.

I honestly think this is a mental issue rather than a physical disability to eat that many calories. You are in a learning process and part of that process is learning how to eat enough calories (which for you should probably be more than 1200 if you are exercising at all).

You need to eat healthy fat and it's okay to get some sugar in the form of fruit.

Bump your calories up by adding avocado to your wraps and sandwiches, eat peanut butter (I don't know why everyone thinks peanut butter is a taboo food!), snack on nuts - snacking is not always a bad thing!!!!, drink fresh fruit juice, drink milk - are you getting your recommended 3 serves of dairy a day? You should be! Your bones want and crave it!!!, drizzle olive oil on your salads...
  • TheFitHooker
    Options
    Yeah you really do or else weight loss will stall.

But let me ask you, why aren't you feeling hungry? wondering about an underlying issue? could be anything from tiredness, feeling low emotionally, bored....you name it, many thing that make other over eat will make others feel less hungy>

Just something to consider.

Cook with a little olive oil when you sautee foods, 1 table spoon is about 120 calories and is good for digestion - and a healthy fat.

Well I don't feel tired and I'm actually happier now then I have been in a long time, I keep myself busy which could be it, because I'm always doing something, either working out, tending to a 10 month old, cleaning, crocheting, sewing, making bows, web designing, whatever I am always doing something lol. I use to be an emotional eater, but for awhile now I just don't seem to get hungry and when I do get hungry, I will eat a little and I'm full. Last night for dinner I made baked chicken, saute'ed squash in olive oil, and some red potatoes. I had 1 piece of chicken a spoon full of squash and I couldn't even eat the potatoes.

For lunch I had a lean Cuisine, I had to force myself to finish it, for breakfast I literally have a hard time eating breakfast, I drink a cup of coffee and make myself eat some kind of granola bar some days I just can't even eat that. Tonight for dinner I just had a sandwich and was going to eat a back of baked chips but I'm stuffed after the 1 sandwich and had to force myself to eat the whole sandwich.
  • shauna121211
    shauna121211 Posts: 575 Member
    Options

Honestly, you're going to blow your diet if you continue to not net enough.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If I'm under I drink a glass of skim milk with instant breakfast vanilla in it-- that'll get you a good 200 calories. Also a slice of whole wheat bread with low sodium peanut butter is a favorite snack of mine to add a few extra calories.

There are a LOT of opinions of what constitutes healthy, but generally more protein or good fats are encouraged.
  • TheFitHooker
    Options
    Thanks guys, I'll be reading back over these and searching the forum and try to get a better hold on this, I don't want to put myself into starvation mode, the only eating problem I've ever had is eating to much, never eating to little.
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Ditto on calorie rich foods. If you snack on celery every day then simply eat a handful of mixed nuts instead and you'll easily add more calories. And like what others said if you have anything that's 0% or reduced fat foods simply get rid of those and use their normal counterparts.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Get to the 1200 but don't eat carbs and some of the other stuff mentioned.

Eat protein rich foods that will help you lose weight and build lean muscle.

Even if its via a protein shake - no more than 200 calories and a min of 25grams of protein or a protein bar - again max of 200 calories and a min of 17 grams of protein.

You can do it!!!
  • SweetestHoney
    SweetestHoney Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Adding something like a serving of raw nuts can really pack on calories without ruining your diet.
  • Lori7
    Lori7 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've went on a complete health nut way of life. I've take sugar out of my diet all together, I do however do splenda or other forms of no calorie sweeteners.

My issue is now that I've stopped frying foods, stopped eating out, and went healthy, I have a hard time reaching my 1200 calories a day. I usually consume 800 sometimes 1000 calories, I really try to eat at least 1000. I burn more then I eat and I know that is not a good thing. How can I work on consuming what I need to eat a healthy amount of calories?

Let me add this.. I don't have much of an appetite, I normally have to force myself to eat anything, I do have 4 small meals a day but it's hardly ever over 1000 unless we go out.

I would first suggest you prepare all your food in advance. I cook all my meat on Sunday, I grill 9 to 10 chicken breasts, and I make a breakfast egg meat dish that is baked I will cut and paste the recipe to you also.

You need to eat (whether you want to or not) 5 to 6 times a day. Go to a Max Muscle Store and buy High 5 Protein if you can and do 3 shakes a day with Almond Silk Milk. The High 5 Protein is great do to the way it absorbs into the system over a two hour period which helps set your insulin levels a big key to fat burning.

Due to fasting all 8 hours of sleep your most important meal is Breakfast

Your eating clock starts with your first meal so here is an example:
    7:00am Protein Shake & 1/2 cup of Oatmeal
    10:00am Protein Shake
    12:00pm Two Packs of Tuna over lettuce and a lowfat dressing
    3:00pm Protein Shake - & 6 Pitted Dates
    6:00pm 4 oz of Chicken, Steak or Fish (your Choice) 8 oz your favorite veggies
    9:00pm Protein - Right before bed so your metabolism will be working while you sleep
    Plus work up to getting your water up to at least 100 oz a day.

This will not only hel you burn fat but it gives it a way out of the body and helps your liver clean up.

Hope that help.
    Proper Preperation Prevents Poor Performance!
    You go girl!!!
    Proud of you - Stick to it BE CONSISTANT - your body will take time to adjust.

You can not lose the weight if you do eat enough your body says "I will not burn anything, you are starving me!"

Lori :-) Hope that helps!