Black Wedding Dress?

Tonnina
Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
edited October 4 in Chit-Chat
http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/vera-wang-s-black-wedding-dresses-unique-or-creepy-2589217/#photoViewer=1

Would you wear one? Which is your favorite?
I was married on October 25th, 2008.... I wore a white A-line satin dress with a pink sash and it was perfect... I don't think I'd want to wear a black one, but I do like Dress #2 in this line up.

Replies

• voluptuous_veggie
    voluptuous_veggie Posts: 476 Member
    I don't see what the issue is with wearing a black dress....
  • Im a fan of traditional white

second one is pretty tho
  • I got married in July, my wedding dress was black with red accents and I LOVED it. I wouldn't have worn anything else :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    I would wear black.
  • my dress was made by my mommiebean.. periwinkle blue, with white lace overlay, over the skirt, matching sleeves, and veil. i wanted navy, but, she flat refused.
    a couple of months later, i was maitron of honour in a friends wedding, and we wore black 2 piece gowns. as a bridesmaid, if tasteful, i'm all for it.. but, for a wedding dress itself... not sure i could see it in all black...
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    I don't like any of the dresses in that line-up, but I have seen on this wedding show a few years back (don't remember what it was called) where the bridesmaids wore white dresses & the bride wore a black dress trimmed in hot pink.

It was a simple strapless black satin gown with hot pink trimming and I thought it was unique and gorgeous.

I would personally never wear a black dress, I have a very old-fashioned kinda soul, but the episode I saw was pretty pimp.
  • _beachgirl_
    _beachgirl_ Posts: 3,865 Member
    I think some of them are beautiful. I think for someone who is goth, a Halloween wedding, or a black-tie wedding it would be perfect.

I like 1, 2 and 4.
  • i dont think i would ever wear a black wedding dress. but i LOVE the second one. =)
  • Amyeeeeeee
    Amyeeeeeee Posts: 93 Member
    i had a blck and white wedding back in 2007. I wore white and my bridesmades wore black... lovely and elegent and Im divorced lol
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    I know someone who got married on Halloween and wore a black dress. They were divorced by Christmas, I'm not sure it's related though.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    I think it would be appropriate for a themed ceremony but not a traditional ceremony. I agree about #2. It is beautiful!
  • I say it's your wedding do what you want to do and wear what you want to wear. It's a day about YOU!

To each their own. Who are we to judge?
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    I'll wear black to be buried which will happen before I ever marry again. Good luck & best wishes and all that stuff. I'd rather take a bullet
  • SLambertAlaska
    SLambertAlaska Posts: 197 Member
    not a single one of these gals is smiling! is that part of "the look" for a black dress? I say, wear what makes you feel beautiful, no matter what color it is. But, personally, I don't think these black dresses are making the best of what the models have to offer.
  • smkcx♥
    smkcx♥ Posts: 317 Member
    I like some of those dresses, however some of them resemble prom dresses to me & look like theyre unfinished (shows what i know about fashion?) out of all them #4 is OK.

I know lots of people who didnt wear white on their wedding day :)) No big deal to me. To each is their own.

*edit* i agree with the person above. the models all look frompy and swollowed by these dresses.
  • CapeCodLover
    CapeCodLover Posts: 23 Member
    I agree the second one is pretty! I have no problem with a black dress ... the white dress symolizes purity and virginity ... if that's not something you are promoting, then why not have a wedding dress in any color you want?! I may get married for a third time and it would be super hypocritical of me to wear white for the traditional reason .. I have an 18 year old daughter after all. But if I wanted to wear white because I like it and it looks good on me, then I would go for it!!
  • Amyeeeeeee
    Amyeeeeeee Posts: 93 Member
    not gonna lie Id wear #5. It had the antique white in the center. BANGING HOT
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    That second one is gorgeous.

I'm getting married in this:

zn22i4pmqlxnnz.jpg
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    I love it ... wear what makes you feel your best - have a non-traditional ceremony!
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    White is a fairly recent phenomenon, historically. In the past, women would just wear the nicest, fanciest, best-looking dress she owned, no matter what color it was. And a lot of times, women would have a nice black mourning dress that they had only used a few times, so that would be what they wore to their wedding too.
    (Sorry, I'm a history buff. And it makes me laugh when young brides get so concerned with "traditions" that really aren't very old. I'm just glad my little sister didn't make me dance in a pig's feeding trough at her wedding. That's a tradition for unmarried elder siblings.) :laugh:
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    I like # 2 & # 5.
    A good friend of mine wore black & it looked awesome.
    I personally would not, but I am too traditional.
    For some people, black works.
  • afwg1979
    afwg1979 Posts: 170 Member
    I got married in July, my wedding dress was black with red accents and I LOVED it. I wouldn't have worn anything else :)

Me, too! Cute and simple mini black dress with red piping: 1973, city hall. Divorced 1979, though the dress had nothing to do with it.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    They look like glorified prom gowns. Would be fun for a goth wedding though.

I hate the fish dresses though.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    White is a fairly recent phenomenon, historically. In the past, women would just wear the nicest, fanciest, best-looking dress she owned, no matter what color it was. And a lot of times, women would have a nice black mourning dress that they had only used a few times, so that would be what they wore to their wedding too.
    (Sorry, I'm a history buff. And it makes me laugh when young brides get so concerned with "traditions" that really aren't very old. I'm just glad my little sister didn't make me dance in a pig's feeding trough at her wedding. That's a tradition for unmarried elder siblings.) :laugh:

Oh gosh, I'm glad my sister's not planning this for me, too! I love doing my own thing anyways. I'll probably get married in a huge, awesome, hot pink gown. I don't even care. But I want to get married like I want to have kids: I want to plan the party and name the kids, then be done with it. I'm not ready for any long term consequences of either of those events.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    A friend of mine wore one. She looked beautiful! She's kind of an alternative girl anyway.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    I wore black for my wedding,i was also planning on getting married by the grim reaper in vegas but i couldnt swing it in time.

My wedding dress was black lace nothing fancy,and I got married not on halloween but valentines day
  • nanodot
    nanodot Posts: 154 Member
    Oh wow, I want #3! I probably wouldn't rear black to my wedding, but I would wear it to the afterparty.
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    i would wear black i like the first one and the 2nd. i ended up getting married quick at city hall no wedding no dress but when i was looking into it before we got hitched fast i was looking at colored dress or one i loved had lace up in the back and small bow with a blue or red i loved that but def would wear black \\actually come to think about it at my wedding i wore a black shirt and black skirt
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    I didn't wear black on my wedding day, but I am planning on wearing a short, lacy black dress on our 10 year vow renewal. Only 5 1/2 more years, maybe I will be at goal weight by then.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    i don't like any of those, but when i was searching for a wedding dress, i fell in love with a red and white velvet one. it made me wish i was getting married in the winter. instead i found an ecru wedding dress with satin-stitched butterflies that was more appropriate and just as beautiful. :)
This discussion has been closed.