RUNNERS - Water Belt Question

Options
What kind of water belt do you use and why do you or why do you not recommend it.. I am running my first half in December.. I want to carry water on my long runs, but not sure which to buy... Help please..:)

Replies

• AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    For runs of 45- 90 minutes I use a single-bottle holster (by Nathan products). I've been doing this since '97. If you tighten it snug enough you don't even notice it there (no sloshing). (mine is black)

Nathan_Triangle_Lime_4885NE-1.jpg

For longer runs (90+min) in the heat I prefer my Camelbak Octane LR. No sloshing with that either.

rec-packs-octane-lr-mirage-grey-frost-grey-s11-300ashx.jpg
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Not a water belt per-se, but I wear a Camelbak Octane LR. It's a backpack but has a 70oz lumbar reservoir which is comfortable to run with. And of course the extra space to carry other stuff you might want. I use it for my longer runs and trail running.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Geez JR, we're sharing a brain tonight.
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    Geez JR, we're sharing a brain tonight.

haha... beat you too it. :tongue:
  • neuro316
    neuro316 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have a Fuel Belt, and it works pretty well and is comfortable, though if I were looking to buy a new one I might go with a Nathan belt. The Fuel Belt bottles are a good size, but I found it hard sometimes to get them in and out of the elastic holsters. Also the pocket that comes with the belt is really small (you can fit your keys and a Gu pack, but not a cell phone). You can buy extra pockets to attach to a Fuel Belt, but I didn't really want to spend more money.
  • ardeornellis
    ardeornellis Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yall are funny.. I was just looking at Nathan products as a friend had recommended them.. The Camelbak looks uncomfortable to me.. I am thinking I will use a belt for the half and when I train for a marathon I will need to go to something that holds more water.. Right now, I take a bottle of water and a gel pack to my half way point before my run so it's there when I get there.. That's getting a little old though..:) Thanks so much for yall's suggestions..
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I third the recommendation of the Camelbak Octane.
  • ardeornellis
    Options
    So.....yall would use the Camelbak for a half marathon???
  • AZTrailRunner
    Options
    So.....yall would use the Camelbak for a half marathon???

I would (and have) used it for my long training runs. While I've seen countless runners use every hydration combination available in a race, from carrying nothing up to Double-bottle hip belts or Camelbacks, I personally use my single-bottle belt with the peace of mind that the race will have aid stations should I run out.
  • ardeornellis
    Options
    OK, thanks.. I want to have what I need, but no overkill.. I don't like any more "baggage" than necessary... My HRM chest strap gets on my nerves..LOL..
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    I used to use an ultimate direction belt with a clasp in the front but switched to FB brand in September and I must say I'm not thrilled. The velcro on the belt has ruined all my performance shirts. Functional yes, but a real bummer if you ask me
  • butters1
    butters1 Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I use an amphipod belt. It can hold up to 4-10 oz bottle. & it has a front little pocket. I sits very well on me and doesn't bounce.
  • Kimblesnbits
    Kimblesnbits Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I think camel backs are WAY comfortable and more convenient because you just lift the straw and drink rather than lift a bottle out of a belt and drink...but then again I've never tried the belts...they just seem more uncomfortable.
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Depends whether I'm training or actually running an event.

When I am training I use a Fuel Belt with 4 - 6 oz bottles for intermediate runs of 5-10 miles. I wear a Camelbak for longer runs (greater than 10 miles). My Camelbak holds 2 litres of water.

For shorter runs, I don't bother with water and run unencumbered.

When I am in an event (half or full marathons), I prefer to run unencumbered and rely on the water stations every mile or two.

I usually have a waist pack on with my supplements like Nuun, Sport Beans, or Gu Chomps.
  • Jessica68
    Jessica68 Posts: 2,419 Member
    Options
    I'm perfectly fine with my Fuel Belt and I did buy the extra pocket and use the small one for my keys & inhaler and the pocket that I bought holds lots of Gu's maybe 6-8. I have no problems with the (4) bottles but I've been running with this belt for over a year now. I keep 1 bottled filled with water and the others with Gatorade G2. I'm very routine that the one filled with water always goes in the back, right side holder. I use it to pour on my sweat towel to wipe my face down & arms and the back of my neck on hot summer Texas days.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't use a water belt on a half marathon... but for the marathon I used a two bottle "fuel belt". It didn't move. (With my four bottle fuel belt, it tends to jump up and down when I run because it's so heavy, I guess.)

Here's the link to what I use: http://www.amazon.com/FuelBelt-Helium-2-Bottle-Belt/dp/B002OLX33Y
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I have a fuelbelt with 3 fuelbelt flasks. It works, but I've never been able to get used to it/comfortable having it on. If I have to carry something, I put 2 of the flasks in my back pockets. Soooo much more comfortable and just as easy/convenient.
  • DisneyMommy
    Options
    I use a Nathan like the one pictured way above only different color. I've used it since 2008 and for the most part it worked great. But then I lost 40+ lbs. Now I can't make it tight enough that it will stay tight when I run. Even if I take the water bottle out and carry it (defeating the purpose of the belt!) it will eventually loosen over time. So what I've done now is safety pin it so it will stop loosening up on me. I thought about switching to Nathans belt that has the velcro and comes in sizes but I'm currently between a small and medium since I wear them pretty low on my waist, so neither fits real well.
  • Schwiggs
    Schwiggs Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have an amphipod hydration belt with 4 bottles (came with 8 oz bottles but I bought their 10 oz ones because I tend to need a lot of water when I run longer distances). I like it because it's pretty customizable. You can add any of their "modules" to the belt. Also, the bottles clip in pretty easily. My one complaint is that the bottles can come off sometimes if you don't make sure they're secure, and I've lost a few of them this way.