Prednisone?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jess5825
    Jess5825 Posts: 228
    Options
    I've never personally taken it, but I know it increases your appetite and causes weight gain. My dog developed Immune Mediated Hemolytic Anemia (basically his body was attacking his red blood cells) he needed a blood transfusion. The treatment is steroids and immunosuppressants. Well, he's on prednisone, being tapered off now. But he is a pomeranian whose normal weight is about 7.5 lbs. His appetite is insatiable, and he's gained almost 1.5 lb since he's been on the pred. I usually keep his food out for him and he eats when he's hungry, but he ate so much, I've had to portion his food and somehow he's still gaining weight. Luckily less than a week left til he's off of it and hopefully it will get out of his system in another week or two, because his appetite is driving me crazy.

So yes it can make you gain weight, but that may be a low dose to make you gain, not sure what the human dose is
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Been on it a few times, before I turned my life around.

All times was for pneumonia or severe bronchitis.

Each time I gained about 10 pounds in a week, which I lost the week after discontinuing.

A good friend of mine has Lupus, she was on it for 6 months, she gained so much weight.... When she went off it slowly came down.

Now, these are both anecdotal accounts, but it is certainly possible. I suspect it is just water weight.
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    check out this site for reliable information: <a href="http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/steroids/HQ01431">Prednisone and other corticosteroids: Balance the risks and benefits</a>
  • jooleeyah
    Options
    My father takes this immuno-suppresant ever since his heart transplant last year. I believe it caused him to LOSE weight not gain...he's 5'6 and 108 lbs at 57 years old. Ever time they decrease his dosage, his appetite improves and gains a tiny bit of weight.
  • AgandNes
    AgandNes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I took it recently for my asthma. I was only on it for a week and it didn't slow my weight loss enough for me to notice, but I didn't gain any on it.
  • yeaforme
    Options
    I would LOVE to have some friends who take daily Prednisone or have Auto-Immune issues!
    I range anywhere from 2.5mg - 60mg depending on the flare. I'm down to 5mg right now which is why I'm here trying to lose 50 lbs.
    I also take the following
    Levothyroxine
    Cytomel
    Methotrexate (when I have to)
    Arava
    Plaquenil
    Voltaren

Feel free to add me as a friend! I will cheer you on if you will cheer me on!!!
    Cheers!