What is a good time for a female to run a mile?

Options
I was just wondering what a good goal would be to set for myself? I just started working out consistently every day, and I ran/walked my first mile two days ago and it took me 15 minutes, and then I ran again yesterday and it took me 14 minutes. I signed up for a 4k in November so I am trying to get into shape for that, so any advice anyone has that would be great thank you!

Replies

• running_mom
    running_mom Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started running last year. I started out doing a 13 min mile running the whole thing. I do a 10 min mile now. I really on work on long distances. I have done half marathons and want to do a full one. I just recently started working on speed and got below the 10 min mile.

I want to eventually do am 8 min mile. But I'm not sure exactly how to train! Should probably find out huh?!
  • johnsonc16
    Options
    10 minute mile! wow that is awesome congratulations! I think I will set my goal as 10 minutes :)
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

try this program out its free and will work you upto a 5K
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I'm not sure that there is a good/bad or right/wrong answer for this.
    I didn't start out as a fast runner (14+ min mile which in my mind I didn't consider even running pace) and over the course of the last 2+ years I have worked up to a faster speed (10 min/mile, which I still do not consider fast). I have gone from slogging through a 5k to running half marathons. While I DO speed work my biggest goal is working on the long distance. Do I hope to be fast one day and run a 9 min or less mile? Yeah, but the greater accomplishment for me is just to run and feel good when I do.

Find the pace that is comfortable for you. Run. Enjoy it!
  • johnsonc16
    Options
    Thank you for the link! and I completely agree, as long as I feel good while running that is the most important thing!
  • ddoohaluk
    ddoohaluk Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for starting a running program. And as runner and beginning running coach, it is my opinion there is no "good" time for running a mile. You have take a awesome step by getting out there to run and now you just need to work on gaining some endurance and staying injury free. I would focus on getting comfortable and slowly working on building speed and distance. Adding too much speed to soon is a recipe for injury.

Goals will change as your progress with your running. While I was once thrilled to run 10 min miles, I now have my goal set on holding a 7 min pace for a 10K. And sadly while some may consider that fast, others still finish way in front of me.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for starting a running program. And as runner and beginning running coach, it is my opinion there is no "good" time for running a mile. You have take a awesome step by getting out there to run and now you just need to work on gaining some endurance and staying injury free. I would focus on getting comfortable and slowly working on building speed and distance. Adding too much speed to soon is a recipe for injury.

Goals will change as your progress with your running. While I was once thrilled to run 10 min miles, I now have my goal set on holding a 7 min pace for a 10K. And sadly while some may consider that fast, others still finish way in front of me.

Awesome advice. I plan on working my way up to running a mile. I can walk a mile in 14 minutes now, so I am almost ready to jog it. My son is in 6th grade and he jogs between 8-10 minute mile. I am hoping to work up to his pace. Back in my day... (LOL!) My average speed was about 7 minutes. But I was very fit and ran everyday!!! Now I am 35 and have not ran since highschool, so I would be happy with a 12-14 minute mile!
  • johnsonc16
    Options
    If you can walk a mile in 14 minutes that is awesome! last night It took me 14 minutes to ran & walk a mile.
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Your minutes per mile doesn't relate very well to your endurance time. For example, I could bust a nut and easily run a six minute mile, could I do it for 2 or more? Proooobably not.

You should instead concentrate on going the distance you want to achieve, and slow build your time towards it. The idea is to work your aerobic engine, which requires you to keep your heart rate around 160
  • johnsonc16
    Options
    my biggest concern is I am doing a 2.5 mile run in about 2 1/2 weeks and I just want to be able to complete the race!
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    The only time a time is good or bad is if it's faster or slower than your last one.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The only time a time is good or bad is if it's faster or slower than your last one.

Great answer!

The thing I love about running, is I'm only out there competing against myself. I know my race this Saturday will be much slower than I completed my last race in - and much slower than my training, because it's ALL hills. My goal is "finish" not speed. It all just depends on your goals.

I suggested to my brother that I run a 5K with him - I do a 9 MPM on a 5K and can do faster if the race is flat, but he told me - we can start together, but he runs a 16 minute mile, that's walking pace for me. But it's what he can do so I would suggest - do what you can and your best. You will still feel accomplished.
  • Brannock8
    Brannock8 Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Perfect

I always told my sprinters that I never knew how to run fast, only faster. It didn't matter if someone had a faster best time than me, when we raced that day I just had to be a little faster.

In running you are racing yourself, don't kill yourself and think that every run will be faster than the last, but if you keep improving your times it won't matter how it compares to others.