Boy Parts & Girl Parts

Options

Replies

• Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    my 5 year old daughter calls her a venus. mostly because she knows that a boy has a penis. i've told her the correct name for hers, but she didn't remember it. and venus rhymes with what her brother has, so it works. plus, it's such a nice name for it! :smile:

That's funny!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    He does know the correct names penis and vagina but he uses wee wee more frequently. Also, he's three and "vagina" is a bit difficult for him to say.

How often is he going to be saying vagina?
  • BamaGurl47
    Options
    If i had kids .. i think i would kind of feel weird if my kid said to me "Mommy are you going to go wash your vagina" I think i much rather hear something cute like " Who Ha" or "who who" hahaha .. i dont know.. I never liked the word Vagina .. sounds ugly.
  • we've always used "penis" and "vagina" around here. we believe in teaching them proper wording/names for things from the start. but i guess a more "kiddie" term could be "private"
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I just tell my boys that mommy's pee pee is inside and is different from theirs. They know that the technical term for their part is a penis, but I don' t know that they have asked enough yet to be told about the vag.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    junk
  • BLaurieJ
    BLaurieJ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am all for proper names and my so has always called his penis a penis but when my daughter had trouble saying Vagina we started to calls it her Jay- Jay - she know it is short for Vagina.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    With my kids, I have always been anatomical correct and not giving "pet" names or "child" names.
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I have always called it a cash register. Sorry if I went a little off topic.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Well we always went with the penis and vagina for my kids... but now they are a little bit older and refer to it as their junk.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    Apparently, my daughter refers to it as a "tootie" though I am all for telling kids the correct name, and letting them decide on what word they actually say.
    I use to call it that until I met my hubby and that's his sister's nickname. LOL

We use the proper names for them with our kids.
    I have a friend that calls the girl part a Sally....sally the camel has 2 humps. Nice for a little kid, huh!?
  • Iheartsushi
    Options
    My 7, 4 & 1 year old know that they're called Vagina and Penis. It's not innappropriate to teach your children the proper terms. Giving nicknames to those parts can cause a complex for them later in life as adults. They won't feel comfortable calling them what they are, even to their doctors...

Ha ha...I do not believe this at all. My child knows the appropriate names but prefers to use other terms. I doubt that someone raised learning about pee pees and whoo haws will have a complex as a grown person saying Vagina and Penis. Maybe it is possible to have this complex..but I'm sure it occurs less often than not.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    We use the anatomical term for the external female genitalia: "vulva". My husband works for child protective services, so we understand the importance of kids being able to identify their body parts, just in case (heaven forbid) something should ever happen to them. Some people think it's weird or vulgar, but it's just biology really. :smile:
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Girl my sister nannied for used Susie and Sammy...
    What is she gonna do when she hears someone's named Susie/Sammy. LOL
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    He does know the correct names penis and vagina but he uses wee wee more frequently. Also, he's three and "vagina" is a bit difficult for him to say.

How often is he going to be saying vagina?

a three year old? A good bit. They love the words.
    I've gone with the rule they are "bathroom words" but ths only works so well.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Call them what they are: Penis. Vagina.

That's pretty much what we do with out toddlers. It was a little awkward at first when my daughter first learned that her little brother had a penis and she started excitedly screaming "Nenis! Nenis!" during every diaper change. But that stopped fairly quickly once we stopped trying to get her to stop saying it.

These aren't inappropriate words, they are the anatomically correct words and they are what should be used. There's no need to get squeamish about using the correct words. We don't get weirded out using "arm" or "leg", right?
  • BamaGurl47
    Options
    i think that's cute too.. venus hahha... good one .. privates would do just as well..
  • Wingmistress
    Options
    Whatsits
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    it is a bit odd

being in public and my son loudly complaining "mommy my penis hurts" and then daughter repeating it.

kids...
  • Iheartsushi
    Options
    it is a bit odd

being in public and my son loudly complaining "mommy my penis hurts" and then daughter repeating it.

kids...

Right. I guess this was my sentiment. He is aware of the terms and he is also aware that we talk about privates at home and not out in public (ie shouting at a store, etc) but that if he needs to tell me something he can use the terms like wee wee or whoo haw, noo noo, lol whatever so that it is a bit more discreet.,..

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!