Ladie Help? TOM=Fatigue

Options
Ladies, I need your help...
Whenever TOM comes along I have one week of very low energy and very high fatigue. It is so bad that I don't exercise.
Usually I get hom from work, take the dog out, cook dinner, wake my boyfriend up so he could have dinner with me (he works a midnight shift), then one hour after dinner I workout.
This week I did the same but find my self feeling so fatigued that I even dozed off before I had a chance to exercise. Last night I fell asleep at 9PM!!

Is it low iron? Should I take an iron supplement in addition to my multivitamin?

Years ago my doctor tested me for chronic fatigue and said I tested positive for Epstein Barr and he said there is nothing I could do. I thought that was BS. (I don't go to that doctor anymore)

I will be asking my gyno what he thinks.....have any of you gone through that? What did you do?

Replies

• Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I bet the search button woulda helped with this question regarding TOM..he seems to be a popular dude on here for some reason.
  • Lstrhi
    Lstrhi Posts: 132
    Options
    i'm going through the same thing right now, but i make sure to do at least a little walking or some yoga. it actually makes the cramps and fatigue better if you get movin" :)
  • NaturalinCO
    NaturalinCO Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    This is a BIG problem for me :( I am convinced I could lose an extra 2 lbs a month without TOM business. Part of my problem, though, is low iron. I have to take a supplement every day or the TOM biz is exponentially worse. Instead of expect my body to do what it simply cannot, I do lighter, easier workouts. If I know I won't be able to exercise because I'm just WIPED, I am sure to manage my eating that day. It really does suck - big time. But I would definitely have your dr check it out. Low iron is my problem, but maybe they can help you with whatever is going on with you. Good luck!!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    If you are tired exercise anyway. You feel more energized afterward. Exercise helps with cramps, too. I always feel better after exercising when tom is here.
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You are about the same age as me, and I feel exactly as you describe. I always thought there was something wrong with me, but I honestly think it's just part of my cycle now. Now I carefully track my cycle so there are no surprises. There that's week where no food satisfies me and I could eat my own arm! Then there's the week where I could curl up into a ball and fall asleep for the entire week! The tired week I still go to the gym even though I don't feel like working out and usually have a great workout anyway. It's literally 5 workouts of me dragging my sorry *kitten* to the gym, and I usually do all 5 workouts, but every once in a while I end up at the library or cafe instead!

I say track your cycle carefully; knowledge of your cycle really helps you to know that it's just normal hormones and their fluctuations. If you are really tired though, see your doc. I find that I have high anxiety 4 days before TOM and cannot sleep, so that doesn't help the fatigue either. At least when I look at the calendar, I then know that I will get through it in 4 or 5 days.

Hope this sheds a little light.
  • CallieDerenthal
    CallieDerenthal Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    the fatigue is generally due to the lower estrogen levels at the TOM. avoid things like sugar and caffeine, get plenty of rest, eat leafy greens, and exercise (even if it's just a little). also, i try to reduce my sodium intake and increase my water. i find that the discomfort from bloat in addition to the fatigue make the thought of getting off my butt almost unbearable! hope this helps :smile:
  • Jacole18
    Jacole18 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My sister has Epstein Barr and she gets sooooo fatigued and tired during her spells. Her doctor also told her that there is no "cure" per say....but your body does adjust to it. If you feel weak and tired, take a break...your body is asking for it. Just exercise and eat right MOST of the time, not ALL the time.
    Good luck :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Eat a banana (your body craves potassium during this time), pop some ibuprofin and GO WORK OUT! If you let it win every month, then it controls your life. I refused to cater to it the last couple of months, and forced myself to work out every day that week, and it really, really helped. My cravings were weaker, cramps were lighter, and I had more energy than I usually. You can't stop it from coming (well...unless you want to be pregnant or have invasive unnecessary surgery), so its something you have to gain the upper hand over - don't let it control you! :drinker:
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone on here should give advice about whether to take an Iron supplement. That's definitely a discussion for your doctor, you should be tested for anemia to know if you should take such a serious supplement (overdose could cause problems).

I think all women have this same issue, just some more severe than others. It sounds like yours is pretty severe. If you don't feel like you can do anything with any intensity, trying getting up and cleaning the house, take the dog for a long walk, vacuum while doing lunges, stretch, anything that gets you moving a little bit might help you wake up. One thing that really helps me is putting on my tennis shoes. I know that sounds really simple but if I feel completely drained with no motivation to do anything but sit on my butt and watch tv.... if I put on my tennis shoes I feel a burst of energy all of a sudden, like my body is getting excited that it's about to get to be active. Sounds silly but it helps me...
  • MJHdG
    MJHdG Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Ask your Doc about iron, for me food works better (liver), also ask about prime rose oil, it helps with your body talking to itself properly (in med words, supplement hormon friendly micro nutrients) and also try this 5 min all body routine in the morning before jumping in the shower: 10 jumping kacks, 10 air qsuats, 10 push ups, 10 sit ups and 10 tricep dips (sit on a surface, plant your arms and moove your tush of the edge dip down and drive up by using your triceps). It heklps me start my day with more energy and feel less guilty about draging my feet in the evening.
    Good Luck
  • JennC831
    JennC831 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I take B12 supplements (energy metabolism) before workouts or after lunch when I'm feeling sleepy....
  • sweetpunani
    Options
    http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/girls/menstrual_problems.html

Everything you need to know about your period is listed above. I'm surprised you've been alive this long and haven't figured it out yet ;P
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    i have to take an iron supplement during TOM b/c im anemic but i still have low energy during TOM as well... i usually do the five hour energys or eat sugary things... not much help sorry :/ Hope you find something!
  • GCPgirl
    GCPgirl Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips.
    I walk a half mile to work from the train and back at the end of the day instead of taking the company provided shuttle just to give me a little extra energy.

I never really had anyTOM side effects before other than menstrual migraines that started a couple years ago...but I could get through those.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    10780654.jpg
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    http://kidshealth.org/teen/sexual_health/girls/menstrual_problems.html

Everything you need to know about your period is listed above. I'm surprised you've been alive this long and haven't figured it out yet ;P

OH MY GOSH - YOU ACTUALLY SAID THE WORD...........PERIOD...................I am so impressed with you :)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    <---- I don't know who this Tom guy is but if I ever meet him I'll break his jaw.
  • reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    10780654.jpg

THAT is hilarious...Mike REALLY needs to create a TOM thread section...
  • Victoriav99
    Victoriav99 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I drink some coffee or sugar free redbull and make myself go. Even if its for 30 minutes .. I burn much less calories, but at least I went. That's how I feel.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem, but iron supplementation has stopped this entirely for me. I am just as strong in my period now as at any other time of the month and just as energetic. As a bonus, my period cravings are now also non existant.