How much does your weight matter when getting a job?

Options
I wanted other people to discuss this question: How much does weight matter when it comes to getting a job? The reason I ask this is because I am currently trying to find a full-time teaching position. As some of you may realize, it is a field where there are not many jobs and it is highly competitive. I have been working with a school district as a substitute and I believe that a few permanent positions have not gone my way for reasons other than my lack of experience and credentials. Considering the pressure on beating childhood obesity, perhaps no one wants a teacher that is overweight because we are supposed to be role models for our students.

I put this question in this forum because it is really bothering me and is one of my reasons to beat my eating addiction.

This question does not just apply to teaching-other professional fields are included in this discussion.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I think it is well known but hard to prove:wink: that discrimination comes in many forms.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    In uni psych course I had to take we looked at a study of attractiveness and chance of getting a job. If both participants were equally qualified the "pretty" gal was chosen every single time. Sometimes the potential employers would just oogle and not even ask as many questions as the would for the "average" gal.

Sad but always unspoken discrimination
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    Options
    of course it does....should it???? NO but for some people they believe weight = LAZY or slovenly....best wishes in your job hunt...
  • aj_rock
    aj_rock Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I would absolutely believe that your personal appearance, not just weight and muscularity will make a huge difference in getting any job.

If you think back to any job-hunt sessions about how to handle yourself in an interview, they tell you to project confidence, be up-beat, energetic, and enthusiastic. All of these are impacted by self-esteem and self-image, which tends towards a lower level for individuals with higher weight.

I know that it might sound shallow, but it happens in the HR industry. If you had to hire one of two people, both have the same skill sets, experience, and knowledge, the only remaining factors in the decision making process are personality and appearance, both of which are impacted by weight.
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Good Question...... I believe it does matter, sad to say but I think it is true.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    No question that the thin idiot will have an advantage over an overweight experienced individual. It is all how we have been brainwashed that thin is better. I went to a medical dinner recently, and saw a HR person who I interviewed with 3 years ago. She looked me straight in the eye and told me that if I looked this good when I came for the interview the first time, I would have gotten the job. 10 years of experience did not put me ahead of the list. Not to mention that they have already hired 3 people for the position, and none of them are still there.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    So, it IS illegal in United States to refuse a job to someone based on their weight. UNLESS your weight is so much or so little that you are unable to preform the tasks needed of you. If you are too thin and cannot run the mile like the students can, you should not be hired as the P.E. teacher. If you are so overweight that you cannot bear to stand up away from your desk to write an assignment on the blackboard, you should not be hired as a teacher. These are two extremes that are not the norm at all.

Though, while this is a law that must be followed, proving that you were passed over -because- of your weight is not an easy feat. It very likely happens.

I just want to mention that I have had a large range of teachers, my elementary was set up to have a new one every other month for new subjects. The majority of instructors were within a healthy range of weight, or a bit over (likely 'overweight' but not quite 'obese'). I had a good percentage, though, who were obese or morbidly obese even (the one woman was a prime example of the 'too large' to be hired I mentioned earlier).

It is totally possible to snag a job regardless of your weight. Keep trying! :) Besides, if they pass you up due to weight, they aren't good people to work with anyhow.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I know of someone who was out of breath going up a flight of stairs for an interview. The job required long hours of standing, so even though that person was qualified in every other way they didn't get the job.
  • rmsrws
    rmsrws Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    As hard as may be to swallow I feel weight has a big impact on a persons ability to be hired. Society over all has a habit of pre judgement. I have read many articles and though one can not prove discrimination due to weight. It is a reality. It is sad!

For example a heavy man comes in to apply for a ware house position, also a beefy well built young man also applies. We naturally assume the younger well built man who be a better fit, before even considering credentials.

If it's any consolation to you. In my sons school, he has a very obese teacher. She is awesome! Wonderful personality bright smile. Just being around her makes you want to smile. But then again I have never met an over weight person that didn't have an awesome out going personality.

Keep in mind the job market is flooded with teachers right now. Just stay positive, and confident!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    sometimes school districts don't look kindly upon existing substitute teachers - I have friends who say the school district dismisses subs out of hand. It could be something else.
  • anamikaraks
    anamikaraks Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It really does matter. I'm sure it's not always conscious (though I know someone who overheard her boss say "I don't trust fat people. If they can't control what they eat then what else are they not able to control." my friend had gained weight at the time and had noticed that her assignments were getting less interesting and challenging) but in this economy I think that people see someone who is overweight and little things like insurance pool premiums, cost of the office canteen, and all kind of other - absolutely biased - things come into play. I have to be honest. I am looking for work too and I KNOW that in my field being overweight automatically disqualifies me for almost any position that includes field work. A HUGE part of why I am on MFP is because of this. I really want to find a job I love that I am qualified for, and my weight is holding me back. I wish you the best of luck both in your job search and your health journey!
  • gnovi826
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who responded.

I have always known that attractiveness was usually considered better when picking someone for a job. What I am frustrated is that I have been extremely helpful and dedicated to the school, coming in for a teacher for 10 weeks while she was MIA, while I was working my other retail job at the same time. I did not even get paid as a long term sub because it was co-taught. So I thought with that expierence and dedication, plus the fact that although I am heavy, I always made myself look nice getting a job would be a wee bit better than in another random school district.

Apparently not. Whatever. I want to be healthy. I'm pretty no matter what weight I am. But that doesn't mean I want to die young! =)
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I think any job that has you as a "public representative" of the company/corporation definitely takes this into account, even if it's not PC. Being healthy shows that you work hard take care of yourself and therefore it makes sense that you will work hard at your job. Look at professionals in any big city. Not only do they dress better than your average big-chain-store employee, but they are usually much more fit. And some professions that are more image related (ie beauticians, photographers, etc), it will make a big difference in your client base.
    As a teacher, you can probably get away with a little more weight because of the "motherly" persona.
    It's one of those things that people won't want to admit is the reason they didn't choose that candidate, so they will usually find another reason to explain their choice.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    So, it IS illegal in United States to refuse a job to someone based on their weight.

No, it (obesity) is not a protected class under federal discrimination laws. There may be laws in some states, but its definitely not federally protected.
  • lotuslion
    Options
    There have been some studies done that suggest overweight people are less likely to get a job than a thinner person with the same credentials. Studies also suggest better looking people will get a job easier than those deemed less attractive, men will get jobs easier than women, white people will get jobs easier than people of color, etc.

The bias likely exists in some people, but there's really nothing you can do about it, except make your resume and interview skills the best that they can be. Employment bias is extremely hard to prove, and while it sucks, try not to let it get you down. Not EVERYONE has this kind of bias.

(I sympathize with you though - I have a chronic illness and am always afraid that if an employer knows about it, it could cost me a job.)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I tend to think it matters a lot. Not the mere fact of being overweight, but more so not having your weight under control. If you look at any of the big execs profiled in mags like Forbes or whatever, you won't see morbid obesity represented. I've never seen it. I have a different take on it than some of the other here though...I think in order to be successful - not just in work, but in life - you have to have a good balance of all the elements in your life & that includes health.

I've been developing my career for many years & am proud to say my efforts have been paying off. I went back to school as a nontraditional student & got a BA, my relationship with my husband is healthy, my home life is good, I perform well at work. The one thing that didn't match was my weight. It was grossly out of control & I knew that my outward appearance did not project the image of someone who has their life under control, even if my work performance did. This was a big motivator in getting myself committed to this weight loss project & I have to say that since I've been successful so far, my confidence has increased exponentially & all areas of my life have improved.

I think being obese gives the impression that self-care is not high enough on your priority list & implies poor work-life balance. If I were a hiring manager I can't say it would influence my decision to hire one person vs. another, but it's definitely something I'd notice.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    So, it IS illegal in United States to refuse a job to someone based on their weight.

No, it (obesity) is not a protected class under federal discrimination laws. There may be laws in some states, but its definitely not federally protected.

Dang. That is a sad fact. Thanks for the correction.