Why is everyone so rude on here?

Replies

• ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Well maybe not everyone and no offense to you if your readin this and haven't been rude to anyone. But it just seems like alot of people are negative and not interested in motivating one another but instead interested in tearing them down.

I posted a question about the show I Used to Be Fat, & I didn't once say I wanted to do what they did, but was just curious as to how they achieve such crazy results, as it took me about 6 months to lose 60 lbs, not 6 weeks like on the show, & I got some answers from people being very sarcastic, rude & talking to me in a condescending tone like I'm dumb for thinking I can do what they do when if they would've read my question they would've seen that I'm not interested in doing what they do, just curious how they do it.

& I just went on the motivation&support section and a girl asked a question about how to lose 10lbs quickly and people were ripping her head off! A lot of the answers were so mean.

I'm just curious does anyone else notice this? Why are people so mean and unsupportive on here? I thought this was a place to share success stories & get support from one another? Whats going on?

wow I actually was the one who started the forum on that show! I didn't know anyone even responded! I'm sorry anyone was rude to you! Another coincidence was I think I know the 10lb forum you mentioned as well.
  • Jeneba
    Jeneba Posts: 699 Member
    I choose my words AND my friends.... very very carefully.... The rest of the people here on MFP are just behaving the way our CULTURE thinks is now acceptable.... It's pretty disgusting what passes for public civic discussion these days..... I am not a Republican, but I was saddened by the tone of the last debate. It seemed symptomatic to me of a larger overall trend toward trying to be the one who shouts loudest, insults deepest.... My advice? Post on your home page so that the people you trust will respond & create your own little world of NICE people.
  • MyCoachNYLA
    MyCoachNYLA Posts: 158 Member
    I agree, don't let it discourage you. There are so many awesome people on this site.

Ones that want to support and help!!!
  • prettyinpink116
    prettyinpink116 Posts: 35 Member
    huh?
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    I suppose you don't think it's rude to call someone fat?

Define rude.

I bet it doesn't match my definition.

I second both of these.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Maybe they are all hungry?

*WINNER*
  • Daniegirl2011
    Daniegirl2011 Posts: 13 Member
    I hear you my friend, I posted a general question & people responded as if I asked them to give me $1000. Jeez relax. On the other hand it's very infrequent. : )
  • kstw
    kstw Posts: 52 Member
    I can't answer for others on here but I always attempt to be supportive. There will be all kinds of answers on this site, some brutally honest, some nice, some incredibly helpful and yes, some rude.

I have learned to just read over the answers and pay attention to those who are truly trying to be helpful. Maybe the 'rude' ones have had a bad day, cannot tolerate those of us who aren't as knowledgeable about weight loss as they, or maybe they are just rude people.

My parents raised me long ago to treat others as I'd want to be treated so I continue to live by that rule. I do my exercises, eat my correct meals and occasionally look in to see how others are progressing. Trust me, the majority of people on here are just like you and me...trying to lose weight with a little support from friends.

I wish you the best with your journey...
  • KLLever
    KLLever Posts: 39
    I know what you mean. And like you said, not everyone, but there is quite a bit of negativity in the forums. Thankfully, there are also amazingly supportive and tactful members. I think some people fail to understand (or to choose) the difference between assertive and aggressive. Oh, well. All I can do is continue to offer my positive support and ignore the less friendly interactions that sometimes go on...and on and on. Haha.
  • some people may see it as rude. i think of it as bluntly honest (usually). yes im sure some on here get rude. but for the most part i really do think they're just being blunt.
    if they misunderstood your question- why let it get to you? brush it off and move on!
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    huh?

DOUBLE WINNER
  • virginiejaubin
    virginiejaubin Posts: 497 Member
    Yes some pple are rude. I posted a topic last week (my 1st topic ever) and there were some pple judging me. It was the 1st time I saw negativity on MFP and was really disapointed that there were such pple on here.
  • Welcome to the internet.
    You+Must+Be+New+Here.jpg

:heart: Be my friend?
  • Well maybe not everyone and no offense to you if your readin this and haven't been rude to anyone. But it just seems like alot of people are negative and not interested in motivating one another but instead interested in tearing them down.

I posted a question about the show I Used to Be Fat, & I didn't once say I wanted to do what they did, but was just curious as to how they achieve such crazy results, as it took me about 6 months to lose 60 lbs, not 6 weeks like on the show, & I got some answers from people being very sarcastic, rude & talking to me in a condescending tone like I'm dumb for thinking I can do what they do when if they would've read my question they would've seen that I'm not interested in doing what they do, just curious how they do it.

& I just went on the motivation&support section and a girl asked a question about how to lose 10lbs quickly and people were ripping her head off! A lot of the answers were so mean.

I'm just curious does anyone else notice this? Why are people so mean and unsupportive on here? I thought this was a place to share success stories & get support from one another? Whats going on?

She wanted to lose 10 lbs in 11 days. I personally do not think that's very healthy. This is the internet and people are going to be rude. You will get trolled if you ask for ridiculous advice.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Define rude...

I bet it doesn't match my definition of rude.

^^^^^ This

There are some on here though that think honest advice is rude! If you don't want peoples honest answers then don't ask it.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    If you're gonna post on here be prepared for some comments you don't like or agree with. You need tough skin to be on an internet forum.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Welcome to the internet.
    You+Must+Be+New+Here.jpg

LOL xD
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    I suppose you don't think it's rude to call someone fat?

Define rude.

I bet it doesn't match my definition.

I second both of these.

I'll third this.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    i'm a very encouraging person to my friends. that said, i don't believe in blowing smoke and i'm a snarky, sarcastic person. i will joke. and i WILL call BS when it needs to be called. maybe that makes me rude.
  • dklw
    dklw Posts: 14 Member
    Most responders are super supportive from my experience. Most posters who talk about their successes give positve reponses. I think people remember the negative people more than the folks who are supportive. Try to ignore those who don't make you feel supported and focus on those who are supportive of your successes and provide helpful advice for your questions.