Gross! Education strikes again - DO NOT READ IF SQUEAMISH

Options
2»

Replies

• Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a Food Safety and Sanitation course for college and we had to learn some of the food borne illnesses. Today I was eating some smoked salmon and found one of the parasites we studied in class. :grumble: It's fairly common in fish from this part of the Pacific. It completely grossed me out. :sick: The thing is, it was really good salmon from a local company and it was cooked (smoked) so it should be perfectly safe to eat. I wouldn't even have noticed it if it hadn't been for that class. I can't stop thinking about the symptoms we talked about in class and can't stand the thought of eating another bite.
    Now I'm trying to figure out if I should tell my family. We have some pasta alfredo we made with it last night in the fridge as well as about 1/2 lb more of just the salmon. If I tell my sister, she'll never eat salmon again, but I feel kind of guilty letting my family remain blissfully unaware...

I just watched a show the other day about parasites that can be on fish. The only way to kill it and for it to be safe is if the fish has been frozen or you cook it all the way through.
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    You peolpe are killing me:sick: ...How did I make it 36 years without knowing this stuff....and now I am finding out too much!!!! :noway:
  • Mrrwmoo
    Mrrwmoo Posts: 44
    Options
    2-9 pounds of our body weight is bacteria anyway, right in our gut ;D, (although our mouths, intestinal tract, etc are OUTSIDE our bodies, if you think about it.) Of course, most are benign. So long as parasites are benign, then we shouldn't worry too much about them, eh? Microorganisms swarm everywhere, hard to avoid them ;3. For a lot of them, we coexist with them daily, we just don't know it.
  • anthony008
    Options
    make sure not to look into how they get the dyes for your yummy yogurts! lol.

Is that the beetle stuff?

oh yeah. nomnomnom
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    make sure not to look into how they get the dyes for your yummy yogurts! lol.

Is that the beetle stuff?

oh yeah. nomnomnom

Idd. I thought it was a nut, turns out it was a thorax...
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    I think I would of rather gone on eatting the cheese...........

There you go OP. Don't tell anyone.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    For the love!!!!! I was grossed out about the fish...But now cheese mites??????

I sure wish I could survive on sunshine and water, cuz I am learning about crap on and in foods way too much lately and I am sorta kinda thoroughly grossed out and having the heebie jeebies..... LoL

I worked in a flour mill years ago. Will I start telling you about the flour mites and wheat weevils? :laugh: :devil:
  • HMonsterX
    Options
    And is your bed comfortable and clean?

....you sure? :devil:
  • magneticcat
    magneticcat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what type of parasite it is. If this is the kind of parasite that will cause your family to be very sick or to ultimately be malnourished (e.g. a tapeworm), then I think you should tell them and all go on a course of anti-parasitic drugs straight away. If it's the kind that doesn't cause a parasitic infection, then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • angievaughn
    Options
    HMonsterX....is going to give me nightmares tonight.......:sad:
  • angievaughn
    Options

I sure wish I could survive on sunshine and water, cuz I am learning about crap on and in foods way too much lately and I am sorta kinda thoroughly grossed out and having the heebie jeebies..... LoL

I worked in a flour mill years ago. Will I start telling you about the flour mites and wheat weevils? :laugh: :devil:

That would be a big NO!!!!!:grumble:
  • PrettyLittleLiar79
    Options

Guess not much I can really do about it......LoL...I am sure I have had worse in my mouth than a mite... :laugh:

Just reading the words wheat weevil gave me cold chills tho........:sick:
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    WHY OH WHY THE EFFFF DID I CLICK ON THIS??!!!! *runs screaming to...nowhere as it's not safe anywhere*
  • magneticcat
    magneticcat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Also, I *would* tell the company that "made" it. They should try to prevent this from happening, I think.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If it's something that can affect their health then you have to tell them!! If it's just gross then let it be.
  • Kotasmommy
    Kotasmommy Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The show I watched was call Monsters inside me. This girl ate sushi at a restaurant and got a parasite that usually lives inside a seals stomach. Well the parasite isn't used to human stomachs and can't survive inside us. So it tried to burrow out of her stomach and ended up dying. Her body then tried to attack the parasite to get rid of it and formed a huge mass. When the doctors removed it they though it was cancer at first till they found the parasite.

EDIT: The parasite will lay eggs inside the seal and they get back into the water where they are eaten by crabs and such which are then eaten by fish and then the fish get eaten by the seal and the cycle continues.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    wait, so you found a parasite in your salmon? whats it look like?
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    wait, so you found a parasite in your salmon? whats it look like?
    It's called Anisakis simplex. It's a parasite (worm) found in Herring, Cod, Halibut, Mackerel, and Pacific Salmon. Unfortunately, it can infect humans. The way to kill it is cooking fish to at least 145degrees F (internal temp). If you're going to do sushi, you have to purchase the sushi-grade fish (it's been treated my freezing at the appropriate time and temp to kill the buggers).
    This was smoked, so it should have been cooked to the appropriate temp, but it only kills them, it doesn't get rid of them. If you really want to see them, you can follow this link http://www.parasitesinhumans.org/anisakis.html - I'll warn you, it's gross
  • tricia19444
    Options
    I must be sick because all the information was interesting to me.... gross, but sick. I love sushi, love cheese, and love salmon...