I blew it today :(

Options
I've been doing so well the last several weeks. I have lost about 8 lbs since I started working with my trainer 3 weeks ago. My nutrition has been great. However, I've been wanting to quit smoking. It's holding me back with my cardio and for other obvious reasons such as my health. My HR is entirely too high for someone my age (27). So today I have not had a cigarette, not one single drag. At work today, all I could think about was stuffing my face. I set up an appointment at my employee health center and was able to get a free box of nicotine gum. It has helped some with the cig cravings but I still feel STARVING!!!!!!! I'm already up to 2100 cals today and I haven't even eaten dinner yet!!!!!!!! My daily goal is only around 1500. I know I should be focusing on NO SMOKING, but I can't help but feel bummed about my poor food choices today. Any advice on curbing the appetite while trying to quit smoking?

Replies

• laursey
    laursey Posts: 307
    Options
    Be patient and not so hard on yourself. Carry lots of health snacks, raisins, carrot sticks, peas, peanuts, grapes, blueberries, fish crackers, cheese strings, popcorn with you everywhere you go. You're body will adjust to new habits.
  • malaika1981
    malaika1981 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    It definately is something that goes hand and hand. A Reason menay people dont want to quit smoking!
    of course the last thing you want to snack on is carrot sticks when all you want it a cigarette

have you heard of champix?
    its a medication that blocks the nictotine receptor in your brain so you dont get the physical withdrawal
    when i went on it i actually was able to control my eating while quitting and lost a few lbs while i was at it. worked for me!
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Water and gum help me a lot. Even though I am not really eating anything, the act of chewing something helps me keep my mind off of food. You could try healthy snacks like fruit and veggies too, that might work.
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When I quit, I alternated between hard candy and sugar-free gum. I also made it a point to drink a full glass of water during my trigger points like right after meals or during break at work. After drinking the full glass i would eat an apple to take up the rest of my normal break. My husband used jolly ranchers and gained a few pounds. However, after being a couple of months smoke free, he stopped drinking soda and lost the weight he gained.
  • gobamagrl
    gobamagrl Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Tomorrow is another day! Pick yourself up and start over tomorrow!! I've never smoked, so I can't give any advice on kicking the habit without going insane...but try not to beat yourself up over today's situation. Getting on the healthy track takes one day at a time....This past week, I've discovered that upping my water intake has helped with my urge to binge...try different things and see what works best for you! Good Luck!!!!!! You can do it! :happy:
  • jtbaddison
    jtbaddison Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Of the two bad habits, smoking is much worse. Most people gain weight after quitting anyway, because your hormones mess up your metabolism. However, the weight will come off fairly quickly if you stick with the working out and counting calories.

Remember, even if you binge a little, quitting smoking has to be your first priority. Good luck. I'm one of those who kicked the habit, then began to lose weight. YOU CAN DO IT!!
  • melbaby925
    Options
    Drink lots of water and go walk outside in the sun.

And go easy on yourself. If you ate too much today, you will do better tomorrow and the next day.

Also, you might try doing some deep calming breathing: in through your nose, slowly and do belly breath (so your belly puffs out when you breathe in) breathe in for a 6 count, hold for 2-3 and breathe out through your mouth for 6 count. Check out Andrew Weil's web page for breathing techniques. I swear the man calms me down like no other.

And this last piece of advice: try and distract yourself from thinking about smoking. Think about palm trees. Think about how good it is going to be to go hiking. Or whatever your favorite thing is.

I used all of these distractions when I quit almost 12 years ago. After the first week, it gets so much easier. And I'll admit, every once in a while I still get a craving for one - and I go find something else to do until it passes.

Good luck! You can do this - just breathe and you'll be fine :D
  • frycase
    frycase Posts: 43
    Options
    I quit smoking just over a month ago, and especially at the beginning, I felt like I just could not stop putting food in my mouth, so I completely understand where you're coming from.

First of all, don't worry, it's temporary. It's just your mind trying to distract you from your ciggarette cravings, and once those die down (and trust me, they will), you'll find that you can control your apetite a little better. Like I said, I'm over a month away from the last time I had so much as a puff from a ciggarette, and I find that 1) I don't think about it at all, and 2) my snacking is back to a reasonable place.

For me, it all came down to boredom. I used to smoke when I was bored, and once that was gone, the next best thing was to eat. If you can find a way to keep yourself distracted/entertained/busy, you might find that you don't think about it as much. And if you find you just can't handle not snacking, try to keep some healthy stuff around so that at least you're not snacking on really bad stuff.

As for the quitting itself, just keep reminding yourself that you've ALREADY achieved your goal! By not smoking, you have become a non-smoker. It's crazy, but I know I kept forgetting that there wasn't anything more to it than that; I kept feeling like there was some finish line I was waiting to cross. So, congratulations!!

If you want any tips/moral support/anything at all, I'd be happy to do what I can to help you out. Quitting smoking is a pain, but it's SO worth it! Hang in there!
  • mspix
    mspix Posts: 153
    Options
    Congratulations on making the choice to quit! I know how hard it is, I am three years smoke free. Best thing I ever did for myself.

You have been given lots of very good tips, I can only add one more that was given to me; buy cinnamon sticks and chew on them. Not the candy, the actual cinnamon sticks from the spice aisle. I found these actually had more than one benefit; it helped overcome that urge for the ritual (tap out a cig, light, inhale) and it helped curb the urge for sweets.

Good luck to you!
  • cpeterson70
    cpeterson70 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I can't help with the stopping smoking problem, but agree with laursey...carry lots of healthy snacks that you can munch on a lot without all the calories. And know that one day is not necessarily a "failure." I am taking a "healthy lifestyle" class at work led by a Certified Dietitian she said even 2 days out of 10 are not detrimental to your goals. Take the failing days and learn what to change and then maybe walk a little more to compensate for some of the extra calories.
  • bhawkins0711
    bhawkins0711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the encouraging words!!!