When watching sugar, how bad is an extra priece of fruit?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chris_bee05
    Chris_bee05 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Right, but I guess I would question why the OP cares. It was actually stated they have a concern over overabundance leads to specific medical problems. That kind of statement troubles me. First because I sense an inappropriate generalization rooted in questionable research (but who knows at this point). Second, unless a doctor's been consulted and given specific instructions, there's no need to be concerned about your sugar....unless of course you know you have a family history of sugar-related illness. But none of that has been made clear.

So, again, there's no real point to watching the sugar, to the extent that we're talking about, if you're under your deficit and don't have a direct reason to be concerned about sugar for yourself.

I see your point and you're right, we don't really know why OP is watching sugars. I know for me, personally, I can tell a huge difference in my weight loss (or lack thereof) when I consume too much sugar, so I'm very careful, and for me that includes fruit. I still eat fruit for sure, but I eat in moderation.
  • LoveMyFour
    Options
    If you're only having sugar from fruit I'd say you're fine to go over. I go over sugar every day but it's not from fruit...lol.
  • Chris_bee05
    Options

What is your problem? No need to get all sarcastic and rude....

You considered that rude? Wow...

*refined, btw :)

I thought it was sarcastic when there was really no need to be sarcastic, which made it rude....in my opinion.

And yes, I know how to spell refined. That part wasn't written by me.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    What was mother nature thinking when she put sugar in fruit and vegetables.............doesn't she know that it metabolises the same as refinded sugar, what was.....she .....thinking.

I'm not even sure what this is supposed to be trying to say...

Yes, from a metabolic standpoint, the glucose, fructose, and sucrose is metabolized by the body in the EXACT same way as glucose, fructose, and sucrose that's been refined and added to foods.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options

What is your problem? No need to get all sarcastic and rude....

You considered that rude? Wow...

*refined, btw :)

I thought it was sarcastic when there was really no need to be sarcastic, which made it rude....in my opinion.

And yes, I know how to spell refined. That part wasn't written by me.

That refined part wasn't aimed at you btw :)

But really, if you found a post as mild as that rude...well, brace yourself for the rest of the forums :)
  • Kdonovan512
    Kdonovan512 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Boy I can relate to your question since I love fruit! As I’ve gotten older I’ve really had to cut down my consumption of fruit due to the high content of fructose in some fruits (unfortunately most of my favorite ones!). My parents would have never in their wildest dreams imagined that as an adult I would gain an appreciation for vegetables. I have learned to limit my fruit intake to no more than 1 serving a day and go hog-crazy on a variety of vegetables. If I recall correctly men can only metabolize about the equivalent of 1 serving of fruit, less for women…after that, the rest is it’s pretty much stored as fat.

I was reading the rest of the posts and I will attempt to not repeat the advice others have shared with you but will make some suggestions that I hope will be of help to you:

Insulin management - Try consuming a portion of protein with every portion of carbohydrates and avoid consuming carbohydrates by themselves. Protein appears to blunt the insulin spike from consuming carbohydrates which then has a nasty tendencies to shuttle nutrients into your fat cells. I have found this little trick to also help me avoid the 11am and 3pm work crashes many folks experience from having a breakfast and/or lunch that is....yes, too high in carbs.

Insulin sensitivity is highest in the morning and decreases throughout the day. I would consume my fruit in the morning or early afternoon and really avoid it at night.

Hope this helps!

“I don't think anyone ever died from a piece of fruit. Unless they choked on it.” That was too funny DLS06!
  • tigersword
    Options
    Protein does not blunt insulin spikes, it actually causes them, just like carbs. Eating in general causes an insulin spike, regardless of what you eat. Mixing carbs and proteins has an effect on digestion timing and the thermogenic effect of the food, which can help you stay full longer.

Also, insulin is responsible for moving nutrients and energy to wear it is needed. It doesn't just shuttle things off to fat depots, it also transfers energy to muscles.

I really don't understand where this irrational fear about insulin came from.
  • Chris_bee05
    Options

That refined part wasn't aimed at you btw :)

But really, if you found a post as mild as that rude...well, brace yourself for the rest of the forums :)

I didn't say I was offended by it. I just said it was rude and uncalled for.

I appreciate the warning, but I'm no novice when it comes to message boards and I'm fully aware of the "drama" that may exist :)
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Aye yaye yaye!!! I was asking for various experiences and opinions. So...

1) I am already insulin-resistant, which means that the sugar matters
    2) The concern about OVER-abundance in sugar and fat being part of what leads to heart disease is BASED on research -- I do NOT know how MUCH or what KINDs of these things are the problem, so, since I don't go to my doctor every time I have a question, I was asking people what their doctors/dietitians/personal-trainers/etc. might have had to say -- in order to gain a general idea of what other factors affect the answer to this question and what specific things I can go research further.
    3) I am concerned about it slowing down my weight-loss, and I wanted to know whether other people had encountered this effect. In general, a high carbohydrate count makes my weight-loss slower, and I'm ALREADY fairly slow and prone to plateaus. Right now, I am primarily doing a zone-style diet, and this needs to be a lifestyle change in order to both lose and KEEP it off, so, for general purposes, I'd like to know, over time, whether it plateaus for the weight-loss, or has other effects for the weight-maintenance. Cutting my fruit down so far is the ONE thing I would find difficult to maintain, long-term.

Does that focus the question a bit better?
  • michedarnd
    michedarnd Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    And... more specifically...

In my diet, I seek to stay under the carbohydrate count most of the time. This is the nature of the kind of diet that I am on. The original point of the question was whether going over on sugar while remaining under the carbohydrates is a problem. MFP specifically calculates your sugar as a percentage of your carbohydrates, I believe. Does anybody know *WHY* that is?
  • tigersword
    Options
    Because the FDA recommends sugar limitations based on a percentage of your total carbohydrates for the day.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Sugar from fruit affects your body differently than added sugar in other foods. Unless you're diabetic or consuming enormous amounts of fruit, it's not an issue.
  • tigersword
    Options
    That is 100% false. Chemically, it's the same sugar. It is metabolized by the body in the exact same way.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    That is 100% false. Chemically, it's the same sugar. It is metabolized by the body in the exact same way.

Yes, they're metabolized the same way, but their effects on blood sugar differ based on their glycemic index. An orange and a donut aren't going to have the same impact on blood sugar.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    fruit is awesome. i've replaced all my old candies and sodas with fruit. i heard somewhere that an apple has more energy in it then a 20 oz soda, and i've replaced my 3pm soda with one. a piece of melon as "dessert" for breakfast is delicious.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

Yes, they're metabolized the same way, but their effects on blood sugar differ based on their glycemic index. An orange and a donut aren't going to have the same impact on blood sugar.
    Plus in order to metabolise sugar nutrients are required for that process and considering refined sugars are void of nutrients the body will draw upon it's own reserves.....draw your own conclusion when that is compared to sugars with the matrix attached like fruit.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    And... more specifically...

In my diet, I seek to stay under the carbohydrate count most of the time. This is the nature of the kind of diet that I am on. The original point of the question was whether going over on sugar while remaining under the carbohydrates is a problem. MFP specifically calculates your sugar as a percentage of your carbohydrates, I believe. Does anybody know *WHY* that is?

The percentage is because when you exercise, you get more calories, and macros added to your plan. Generally, I have seen from doctors that there is a calculation you can do for fruits and veggies to reduce your sugar count based on fiber in them. I don't know what that calculation is, and I do believe it is for people with a medical need to reduces sugars.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

There are literally hundreds of different kinds of sugar, some of which are significantly different. The fact that the krebs cycle doesn't morph to process all of them in unique ways doesn't mean that they're metabolically identical.
  • tigersword
    Options
    In fruit? By far, the most common sugar in most fruits is SUCROSE, followed by fructose and glucose in varying amounts.

Also, the glycemic index is outdated, and generally useless.