You don't look like you need to lose weight!

Options

Replies

• LaComadreja14
    LaComadreja14 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I get that but it always makes me mad because its in a situation like this:

me: Could you teach me some of your work outs or give me some healthy recipe's?
    friend of mine who is really fit and knows more about weight loss than me: *snotty tone* uh no.. you don't need to loose weight... *eye roll*

it always makes me feel like people think I am looking for attention when in reality I am just looking for guidance
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I think it is because many people want to look better than everyone else...or... some people I know truly dont need to loose weight. Can go either way.
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    My Doctor told me Im fine don't need to lose any weight, 5 ft 5 and 142 medium build. I don't agree a least another 7lbs
  • talia25
    talia25 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I get that a lot! I'm six feet tall so I'm always told that because of my height I "carry my weight well" and I've never really known how to take it.
    I wanna tell those people that they have no idea what they are talking about but I usually just end up with an awkward smile and a thank you lol

Im 5'9 and get exactly the same comments. Everyone at work is starting to notice I have lost weight, and when I say I am only half way there, they tell me I cant possibly lose any more there will be nothing left of me! Im still classed as overweight though, only 2.5kgs off healthy bmi, but want to lose about 10 more kgs. And, clothes do wonders for covering up things hey!!
  • jooleeyah
    Options
    Sometimes you may want "need" to lose weight, but you want to. Whatever your reasons are: to tone up, to feel healthier, look sexier naked - as long as your ultimate goal is not severely underweight according to a doctor - you should go for it!

I would accept the compliment and keep doing what I'm doing. I don't often tell people that I'm on a diet - just trying to get healthier :)
  • jooleeyah
    Options
    Sometimes you may want "need" to lose weight, but you want to. Whatever your reasons are: to tone up, to feel healthier, look sexier naked - as long as your ultimate goal is not severely underweight according to a doctor - you should go for it!

I would accept the compliment and keep doing what I'm doing. I don't often tell people that I'm on a diet - just trying to get healthier :)
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Maybe just say thanks, but you havent seen me naked! Ok so that might only work with friends.

LOL, my friend and I have both said this to each other and to others. LOL :)
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    Maybe just say thanks, but you havent seen me naked! Ok so that might only work with friends.

Well, if they're not friends they shouldn't be commenting anyway! :laugh:
  • Mrrwmoo
    Mrrwmoo Posts: 44
    Options
    My mom always snickered and laughed about my weight behind my back to my sisters, aunties and grandma, and then when I tell her I would go on a diet, she insisted I didn't need to and make sure to feed me more. HRM...
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Yup! No one thought I was overweight when by standards I was. My blubber is evenly distributed on my 5'10" frame. I'm even more nuttier now since I still want to lose more. I suppose the only way to set them straight is to let them see me nude. But that isn't going to happen..:laugh:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I got the opposite. People telling me that I should stop exercising cause I'm big enough.

naaaarrrr :tongue:
  • HollyDittfurth
    HollyDittfurth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's always annoying when people say that! I never know what to say to them either.
  • HollyDittfurth
    HollyDittfurth Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @ Mrrwmoo - That sounds like my mom but she would always say it to my face! Her and my brother :'( I got so depressed I became anorexic back in high school. I got down to 142 lbs, but I wasn't really happy. I was still always the brunt of my brother's joke, and he didn't hold back anything...EVER! His girlfriends always stood up for me, I thought it was sad that he never cared how he made me feel. But I don't really care now, because I'm married and happy and he's still a waiter at 27 years old, divorced with a kid, and his last girlfriend just up and left him! haha,...I shouldn't laugh but I don't care anymore lol!
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who loves to hear this? I've started hearing it pretty frequently, and every time I hear it it makes me smile inside. I know I still have a bit of weight to lose, but it's AWESOME that I'm no longer visibly fat. I can now pass for a healthy weight.

I really think you folks should try to take it in that same way. It's pretty great. :)
  • mandimommy
    Options
    When people say that to me, I tell them I may not look like I need to lose weight to them, but to me I FEEL like I need to.
  • kmcrey87
    kmcrey87 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Every time my mother/father calls me they have something negative to say about my weight loss( You're skin and bones, You can see your ribs, no one needs to workout that much, you're going to look like a man!...blah, blah, blah) but lately its her telling me things that other family members say. Most recent was my cousin asking if I was ill or something... it gets annoying! Why can't people just be happy for you for working on yourself to be as healthy and fit as possible!

Good luck to you girl! Ignore those people and become the woman you want to be!
  • shankleefranklee
    Options
    I just get the "You don't look like you weigh that much!" or "If you lose that much weight you'll waste away!"

I'm over 200 pounds, and want to lose 50.Trust me, there is plenty of places I can lose it from and I don't think I will waste away.

I just say "Well thank you. I appreciate that!"
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I get told this a lot, and my response is always "sure but everyone NEEDS to be healthy" it's pretty hard to dispute that by choosing to eat well, exercise and set yourself goals you are going to be healthy, and its also pretty hard to dispute that you shouldn't be doing that! x
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I think some people just say that to be polite because agreeing that you need to be on a diet would imply that they think you're fat. When someone says they're on a diet to me, I would be "o really? what's your diet?" I don't really care how fit or obese a person is. If they feel the need to be on a diet, then so be on one.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I get told this a lot, and my response is always "sure but everyone NEEDS to be healthy" it's pretty hard to dispute that by choosing to eat well, exercise and set yourself goals you are going to be healthy, and its also pretty hard to dispute that you shouldn't be doing that! x

great response!