"healthiest" sports bar food?

Options
We're going for supper tonight at a sports bar for my brother's birthday. Their menu isn't online or anything so I can't really prepare in advance. Anyone have an idea about what foods would be the better options? Everyone else will be eating greasy chicken wings and beer. I don't even like wings so that's not an issue. Do better options even exist at a place like this?

Replies

• bill_i_am
    bill_i_am Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    "naked" wings or grilled tenders along with a salad have usually been the best options for me..I hope this helps :)
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    the best option is the side salad with no dressing...and then consider removing the bacon bits, cheese and croutons.

I know it sucks, but there really aren't good options at a sports bar. everytime my friend asks me if I want to meet him out, I know he wants to go to a wings place. I cringe.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    pretty much every place will have a salad. maybe try that! and have fun!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    At most bars you can usually get a grilled chicken breast sandwich of some sort. Hold the mayo and/or cheese and you'll be in good shape. They might also have a turkey burger or garden burger.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    A lot of them will offer salads, grilled chicken wraps or sandwiches, or even grilled chicken wings. You will probably be able to find at least a decent compromise there. If not, get what sounds good, add an ice cold beer, and live a little. It's just one meal!
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Nope, your pretty much at there mercy. I am going out tonight for pizza and beer so I worked double at the gym to buy my calories. All I can tell you if you don't have any calories saved up is drink a ton of water before you go and keep drinking water when you get there. Hang in there!
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    naked (not breaded) wings with the sauce on the side, grilled chicken sandwhich (thats what I always get), salads with no cheese or croutons and lightest dressing available on the side so you control how much goes in
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I just had a crazy fry craving and ate about 7 oz. of restaurant steak fries which were about 300 calories total. :)

The half veggie burger with swiss was another 350ish. :)

EDITED TO ADD:

Dude, fu<k salad!
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Celery...hahaha! Good luck!
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options

heh. yeah, I forgot about the celery.

one time I went to a pizza place/sports bar with some friends and I ordered a "plate of lettuce and tomatoes". fun times.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options

one time I went to a pizza place/sports bar with some friends and I ordered a "plate of lettuce and tomatoes". fun times.

That's hardcore effing willpower right there, folks. ;)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You may be able to view their food menu online so you know in advance what you are eating and not making any decisions under pressure and in a group situation. Anything grilled- chicken, salmon, veggie burger and add salsa if you like for added texture and flavor. Maybe even a little guacamole to replace mayo. Good luck

Opps, just re read where you said menu isn't online. Can you arrive a few minutes early to look over the menu? I seriously do best if I can plan. I hope you enjoy!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! =)<3
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    We're going for supper tonight at a sports bar for my brother's birthday. Their menu isn't online or anything so I can't really prepare in advance. Anyone have an idea about what foods would be the better options? Everyone else will be eating greasy chicken wings and beer. I don't even like wings so that's not an issue. Do better options even exist at a place like this?

what a silly questions!
    get grilled chicken or fish or 200g steak. with steamed veggies or salad. grilled mushrooms with cracked pepper mmm! and get it cooke without oil, and no salt if youre watching your sodium. no sauces too, cept maybe vinegar.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    BEER, Rich, thick, DARK BEER
  • bdurls
    bdurls Posts: 128 Member
    Options

That's hardcore effing willpower right there, folks. ;)

No kidding! I'd be having wings and beer for sure! Probably with some nachos in there somewhere too!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I find that a few vodka tonics actually burn some calories for me. Then again, I'm a light weight and I get flirty when I'm tipsy.