What do you think of a "cheat" day?

Options

Replies

• maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I definitely have a day once in awhile where I spike my calories, I typically net 1100, so on a spike day I'd net maybe 1600-1800, nothing too outta control. I've honestly found that the more I eat healthy, the less I want any crap I used to eat. The biggest "cheat" I'd do is going out for some french toast, which I loooove. But I'm totally over pizza, fried anything...

i think it can be really good. I also log anything and everything I eat on those days and I still workout.
  • KokomoJoe
    KokomoJoe Posts: 435
    Options
    I don't believe in "cheat days", however going out for dinner, having a few drinks whatever keeps you in line so you don't have to "cheat". I am going to lunch tomorrow with friends, I know there will be wine and beer which I will probably have and I will watch what I eat. I may have to modify dinner to make up for my lunch but then that's my choice.
  • anitam1987
    anitam1987 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    so what does everyone mean when we say cheat day?

For example, I tend to have chocolate (especially recently) every day.

To me, that's not a cheat - it's aprt of my daily calorie intake.
    Yesterday I had a snickers bar and two slices of pizza for dinner. It (sort of :) ) added up into my daily calories.

Thoughts?
    Cheat to me would be not logging (weekends for me).
  • anitam1987
    anitam1987 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I haven't read this whole thread but here's my take:

I don't say "every Saturday is my cheat day. Gonna do whateverrrrr I want tooooo wooo hooooo"

I just eat normally, healthy, all the time, and if a meal comes that I'm going to eat out, I enjoy it as a random cheat meal. Or this weekend, I know is Oktoberfest in town. I'll eat a sausage (or two!!) and have a beer. And I'll enjoy it. But I don't generally plan it. That's just setting yourself up for disaster. You'll binge more that day if you're always expecting it.

exactly! :)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Yesterday I had a snickers bar and two slices of pizza for dinner. It (sort of :) ) added up into my daily calories.

Thoughts?

A cheat/spike is a day to increase calories well above maintenance for the benefits that russell posted.

Including some "unclean" foods into your daily cal/macro goals is not cheating.

I log everyday, good or bad. It's the only way to be able to accurately analyse past history for future progress.
  • kristennwinter
    kristennwinter Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Maybe just a meal might be better. I have one meal per week scheduled into my diet where I go out to Mc Donald's with my roommate. :) I'm obsessed with their fajitas, so I get just the fajitas, no fries, and a water. It's totally worth it, and my roommate lets me steal a couple fries to curb my craving :)
  • Ebbykins
    Ebbykins Posts: 420 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

A cheat/spike is a day to increase calories well above maintenance for the benefits that russell posted.

I log everyday, good or bad. It's the only way to be able to accurately analyse past history for future progress.

This ^^. But refeeds/cheats like this described are not for people who have a significant amount of weight to lose yet, the last 10-15 lbs is where refeeds/cheats start to come into play big time and boy do they ever work wonders. I too log everyday, good or bad, check out last week, I ate half a jumbo box of Vector with milk in a 24 hour span, it wasn't "unclean" so to speak, but it was a bump up in calories, carbohydrates. When I was doing a lean bulk last winter I was going for a weekly refeed of 5000-7000 calories. Why?? Because I wanted to get stronger, get faster, gain muscle and not have to eat in a large calorie surplus everyday of the week leaving me bloated and full all the time. I would rather have one day where I get to just veg in my fat sweats and eat within reason, now my refeeds are 2000-3000 on top of my normal caloric intake now that I'm cutting. Leaning out below 20% bf isn't just about calories in calories out, there is a science behind it, and I truly believe it's an art when done properly without losing a lot of LBM.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,679 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on taking an entire day off from logging and exercise, and eating what you want for one day each week? In your opinion, is it hindering the overall goal? This is only if you are committed and meet your diet and exercise goals every other day of the week.
    I "cheat" everyday. The so called "unhealthy" foods are part of weekly routine. McDonald's, Taco Bell, ice cream, etc. all have a place in the week somewhere.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    What are your thoughts on taking an entire day off from logging and exercise, and eating what you want for one day each week? In your opinion, is it hindering the overall goal? This is only if you are committed and meet your diet and exercise goals every other day of the week.

I do it 1x or 1x every other week. I don't count the calories etc. I just make sure I don't consume an excess of 3,500cals(1lb) on top of maintenance. And I'm pretty confident I don't end up eating that much in excess anyway. Also for someone with my stats, and current active lifestyle. My maintenance cals is around 2,500 cals, so eating an additional 3,500 cals, would total to 6,000 cal in one day . Which is A LOT to consume, maybe if I had a different goal in mind. Then that would be acceptable.
  • mandimommy
    Options
    I do it once a week, totally guilt free! I do make sure I get a good workout in, like a 5K run outdoors or a body pump class. I try not to go too crazy, but I have whatever I want at each meal and usually wine with dinner. It keeps me sane. I eat healthy almost all of the time but I am reducing calories to lose weight I packed on with three pregnancies so I enjoy having one day I don't have to plan it out and worry so much. It's nice for my family too -- we can eat out!
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    No guilt. That' just counter-productive. Move on.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this and since I really am in a hurry to get the weight off, my cheat days are going to be dinner out once a month and still log everything so I can estimate how much damage is happening from it. Since my resting burn rate is 1500 calories a day , if I stay under 1500 on a cheat day, at least i won't gain. Going out to dinner, a couple of drinks can be as much as 1500 easily. So a light snack, a little exercise and dinner at night is my plan for tomorrow, my anniversary. I know its a celebration, but I am too sick of being fat to even allow that to screw me up.
  • mandimommy
    Options
    Just read all the previous posts and have to agree with the better workout the next day concept. Totally true for me!
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I guess I can't think of it as cheat day. I think of it as a day I choose to eat differently. I know its the same thing but a cheat day can lead to another cheat day and suddenly its been 2 weeks.

I also find I need to log. Ok maybe a day was over 3000 calories (yuck!). But its just one day. And if I am tracking I am aware that I need to be on target the next day. If I don't track its as if it didn't happen. And that can be dangerous!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself on a diet. I consider it my way of life now. so on a day I plan to eat @ or over my maintance calories it's just that. not a cheat day. I also hit the gym hard the day before and after.
  • blueyeb
    blueyeb Posts: 85
    Options
    Here here, I actually bought Russell's book and have a cheat day every week. I feel great, and continue to lose 1.5 to 2.5 pounds weekly, in fact I just did the math the other day and I've been on my weight loss journey for 90 days with 2.6LBS average per week since I've started and 6 weeks have incorporated "Cheat" or "Spike" days.

What is the name of the book? I'm interested in leaning up, I've got 14 pounds or so left after the birth of my son and I'm trying to get back down to a low body fat percentage and tighten up.
  • blueyeb
    Options
    Cheat day for me is more of a carb refeed day. And I will have that on legs day normally. (for all the same reasons Russell said)

Having said that, I follow the IIFYM style of dieting so I can eat pretty much whatever foods as I want as long as it fits into the macro goals each day. So I'm never really feeling like I need to "cheat" anyway.

Thanks for the links in your signature, they have been super helpful as to where I'm at right now :)
  • blueyeb
    Options
    I highly recommend a "bad day" It's how I've lost over 100lbs.

1. It's guilt free
    2. You can really enjoy the food you're eating
    3. It's spikes up your metabolism
    4. Gives you a day to look forward to
    5. Balances out your hormones that go out whack from dieting
    6. Makes your following day workout better.
    7. It's fun and will NOT mess up your long-term weight loss.

That's what I was thinking by a "cheat day" or a "bad day" being beneficial.... oh the irony! Maybe we should call it "indulgence day", lol :-)

Exactly, cheat is negative. That's why I call it a "Spike Day"
    It's spikes up our metabolism, leptin, glycogen, mood, and results.
    It's a good thing to do, and far from "cheating"

Just found Russell's book, thanks for putting the link in your signature :happy:
  • blueyeb
    Options
    [/quote]
    Just found Russell's book, thanks for putting the link in your signature :happy:
    [/quote]

@Rusellb97 - You must be laughing at me, It's your book! :laugh:
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options

Thoughts?

This ^^. But refeeds/cheats like this described are not for people who have a significant amount of weight to lose yet, the last 10-15 lbs is where refeeds/cheats start to come into play big time and boy do they ever work wonders. I too log everyday, good or bad, check out last week, I ate half a jumbo box of Vector with milk in a 24 hour span, it wasn't "unclean" so to speak, but it was a bump up in calories, carbohydrates. When I was doing a lean bulk last winter I was going for a weekly refeed of 5000-7000 calories. Why?? Because I wanted to get stronger, get faster, gain muscle and not have to eat in a large calorie surplus everyday of the week leaving me bloated and full all the time. I would rather have one day where I get to just veg in my fat sweats and eat within reason, now my refeeds are 2000-3000 on top of my normal caloric intake now that I'm cutting. Leaning out below 20% bf isn't just about calories in calories out, there is a science behind it, and I truly believe it's an art when done properly without losing a lot of LBM.

I found out about "Spike" days pretty early on in my weight loss journey and I personally don't think it really matters how much weight you have to lose as to how effective it is. Since I've started spiking I've had many great benefits.

1. I haven't stalled my weight loss
    2. I have a ton of energy especially on my workout the day after my spike.
    3. I don't have the urge to "cheat" on my diet because I know the spike is coming.
    4. I've lost 1.5 to 2.5 pounds EVERY week since I've started spiking
    5. I've gotten stronger and it shows in my lifts
    6. I feel great about myself in general

What's not to like about those results?

BTW if you do the math which the diet is based on you are at an overall caloric deficit for the week. I personally had a very hard time accepting that it could work until I could work the numbers on spreadsheet myself. Right now I eat 1700-2200 calories for 6 days a week and then 4400ish on my spike day. Based on my exercise pattern that still has me at a 7000ish caloric deficit for the week and no cravings.