Awesome Spice Cake!

Options
crobertson87
crobertson87 Posts: 34 Member
I got this tip from a nice lady in the grocery store. We bonded by the sugar free cake mix LOL. I made this today and not only was it super easy, it was DELICIOUS and I didn't have to feel guilty about it at all!

1 Duncan Hinze Spice Cake Mix (Mix Only)
1 15 oz can 100% pure pumpkin
1 c. water

Mix cake mix and pumpkin together, add water and mix for 1 minute. No other ingredients. I baked it for 45 mins at 375 in two small loaf pans, six servings per loaf. As it cools, it will set up more. My husband got antsy and cut it right out of the oven and it was still a little gooey from the pumpkin. I calculated the recipe and it is only 180 cal. for a thick slice. It was amazing!! Only problem, will there be any left for me tomorrow?....my husband is going to eat the whole thing!

Replies

• TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Yum that sounds good. Going to add this to my recipe list. Thanks :)
  • Opera_Bound
    Opera_Bound Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious! Thanks for the idea. I've been wanting to bake something that will make my house smell like fall, but that I can actually enjoy without feeling guilty. :)
  • melbhall
    melbhall Posts: 519
    Options
    I've never had spice cake but this sounds great! Thanks for sharing!
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    this works very well with no water too... try it in chocolate cake mix! delish!! (1 cake mix, 1 can of pumpkin... I do 18 cupcakes)
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    oooh i didnt think of that! my pumpkin chocolate chip cookies are similar. instead of water use chocolate chips and drop tablespoonfuls onto a baking sheet.
  • kailey_watson
    kailey_watson Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    My mom does this to make muffins and they're amazing (she makes them for me during finals week when I'm up late studying and writing papers :) )
  • lucylou9701
    Options
    Bump!
  • Gypsymorph51
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing :flowerforyou:

Bumpity-Bump :wink:
  • Boogie1116
    Options
    Bump
  • sweetheart37
    Options
    yummmm cant wait to try this ,, thank u
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have made this twice (without the water). I did it once as a 9x13 cake and drizzled it with a vanilla & cinnamon icing mix. There was not any left with 8 people trying it out. The next time I fixed it was in 3 small loaf pans to take camping. They lasted all of 1 morning with 7 of us in the camper.
    I used 1 box spice cake mix + 1 can pumpkin: Baked at 350 for 40 minutes.
    The icing was 1 cup confectioners sugar + 1 tbs milk + 1/8 tsp of cinnamon.
  • crobertson87
    crobertson87 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have made this twice (without the water). I did it once as a 9x13 cake and drizzled it with a vanilla & cinnamon icing mix. There was not any left with 8 people trying it out. The next time I fixed it was in 3 small loaf pans to take camping. They lasted all of 1 morning with 7 of us in the camper.
    I used 1 box spice cake mix + 1 can pumpkin: Baked at 350 for 40 minutes.
    The icing was 1 cup confectioners sugar + 1 tbs milk + 1/8 tsp of cinnamon.

Wow! I'm seeing now I could have left the water out totally. Next time im going to do that, and I am soooo going to make your icing and maybe just drizzle it on there. Thanks for letting me know that!
  • smuckers722
    smuckers722 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I made these today (as cupcakes/muffins) to take to a Christmas party. They gave out excellent. I used:

1 Duncan Hines Spice Cake Mix
    1 15 oz can 100% pure pumpkin
    1/2 c. water
    3 tablespoons liquid egg white
    1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Came out great! Made exactly 24 "cupcakes" and came to about 107 calories per cupcake. Would have been less without the walnuts, but I really love the addition of some walnuts. I will also be serving with fat free cool whip on the side in case people would like a "frosting" of sorts.
  • DonaA123
    DonaA123 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • StephCoff1969
    Options
    Bump
  • rgohm
    rgohm Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    This recipe sounds amazing. I can't wait to try it! :happy:
  • cagletb
    cagletb Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blissfulbutt
    Options
    I've been doing this for years and could very well have been the lady at the stre cause i tell people about it all the time! try not adding water and putting them in muffin tins; so delish but my sweetheart eats them as fast as I can make them too.any leftover disappers between the time we go to bed and the time we wake up often with crumbs on his side of the bed lol
  • MagnaSky
    MagnaSky Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This is our family favorite as well. I do not use water. For topping I use sugarfree caramel dip. I spread very thin layer of the dip while the cake is still warm and sprinkle with chopped walnuts.