Good exercise program?

Options
I am currently thrashing myself at the gym with a leg day, a shoulders/chest/back day, bi's and tri's (with a lil more chest) day and my least favorite, ab day. I do my cardio after said workouts. I am also getting bored. I try and switch up machines, and I am usually a "good" sore afterwards. I am not sure how far I can run because my dogs always crap out before I do, but I can go for at least an hour (not quickly, but I am running). I would list myself as 'middle of the road' as far as knowledge of dieting and exercises. Any good programs out there for breaking through the plateau of boredom?

Replies

• ericalaneharris
    ericalaneharris Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was in the same rut, and then a friend of mine lost 50 pounds training for and running a half marathon. I decided to try it out, and I have to say, I love it. The race is Sunday, and honestly, I can't wait to start training for the next one. Also, I do not like running, but I love it when I have finished a run, it is very rewarding.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Body for Life for a long time and have had good results with it. It quite literally changed my life.

I am now making a transition to Rippetoe's Starting Strength and very excited about it. It's a more heavy-lifting oriented program.

Stronglifts 5x5 is another similar program, but I've heard it called a "rippoff of Starting Strength".

In between lifting days I intend to continue BFL style HIIT.
  • ohpiper
    ohpiper Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Maybe not so much a program as a goal. A friend of mine told me about an event that I thought sounded pretty interesting, warriordash. Basically it's a 5k with a number of fun, crazy obstacles (climbing rope walls, jumping over fire, diving through mud, etc.) By knowing that my workouts were helping to prepare me for an actual event, it gave me a sense of direction to push myself in my workouts. So it wasn't so much a matter of changing my workouts, but knowing that they were helping me to prepare for an event that, in an of itself, would be fun to do. While I realize that this is not a direct answer to your question, I hope the idea is at least helpful. For information about the event I was describing, you can check out www.warriordash.com. There are other similar events as well. Another possibility for you is to train for a sprint triathlon. That way, your time is working to develop swimming, biking and running, all of which will help you to get into shape and provide you with enough variety to prevent tedium.
  • karenbobaren
    karenbobaren Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Once I hit a plateau I want to swtich out my workout routine and include exercise programs.
  • ldennett
    ldennett Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think the thing that far and away makes the most difference to my enthusiasm about a workout is doing it with someone else. I do almost all workouts socially except swimming (which is probably my favorite so I need less motivation there).