subway

Options
I watch biggest loser all the time and I see that they go and eat at subway. What are some healthy subway food there? low carb, low cal?

Replies

• CityOnAHill
    CityOnAHill Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • wisem2540
    Options
    Well obviously the lowest cal sandwhich would be the veggie....

here is a nutrition guide straight from subway....

http://www.subway.com/nutrition/nutritionlist.aspx
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    If I remember right, their sodium is off the charts.

I personally avoid Subway since I've gotten food poisoning from them twice, different locations each time. Their sanitation practices aren't exactly great, either.
  • wendibartel
    Options
    Subway really isnt healthy at all. The sandwhichs are loaded with sodium. The bread is no where near whole grain.

I would agree it is better then some other fast food options. If I were to go there now knowing what I have learned durning this venture I would choose to do a salad loaded with veggies or a wrap.
  • teemarania
    Options
    I like to get the 6in turkey, no mayo, mustard, and I always ask them to load up on the veggies!!!
  • andyloosbrock
    andyloosbrock Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Subway - 6" Roast Beef on Wheat With Veggies and Mustard - No Cheese (815 MG Sodium)
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    If you want the lower cal alternatives then look at the website which contains all nutritional information for each sub.

But here is the general rule of thumb if you want to 'eat low cal' at subway.

Only eat the 6" subs and not foot longs. Have all the salads. Do not add cheese or sauces and eat the healthy choice (6g of fat or less) range.

No subway cookies or soft drinks either.
  • JConstine
    Options
    I wouldn't say subway is unhealthy but it does have a lot of sodium. If you can do without the hi cal sauces and dressings, extra meat and extra cheese, cookies, soda, and chips, then you're good.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    10 bucks says subway sponsors biggest loser!
  • andyloosbrock
    andyloosbrock Posts: 175 Member
    Options

That's 2 Foot Longs!
  • babybellyfat
    babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    heheh thanks guys for the fast reply. I have a subway, a tim hortins, a harveys a wendys I GOT TONS OF RESTO! lol I have not went to them for a while and im happy I did. But I just wanted to know about subway if i do ever want to go and eat out. And i can never take the big foot long i only take the 6 foot. lol Thank you guys for all the info. now i know what to take and what not lol :)
  • gardenimp
    gardenimp Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    If I go out to lunch, which is very seldom, I opt for Subway. 6" Veggie sub on wheat, no cheese or condiments...290 calories & 410mg sodium.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    I stopped eating there after a conversation with a former employee . . .

Their bread is not "freshly baked"; it is parbaked, shipped to them frozen in these weird little sticks, and finished in the store.

They add fragrancing chemicals to the bread to make it smell fresh. (This is why the stores smell so odd.)

Also, they use very old Teflon pans, many of which have begun to flake. If that isn't scary I don't know what is.
  • Tyler4846
    Options
    If I remember right, their sodium is off the charts.

I personally avoid Subway since I've gotten food poisoning from them twice, different locations each time. Their sanitation practices aren't exactly great, either.

I'll go into any fast food type place just to see how the kitchen looks, and to see how the staff handle things
    if it doesn't look clean or I don't like how the staff work around the food I'll leave. If I've never been inside
    I won't use their drive thru. But you still don't know how long they keep food around before they serve it to
    you.

But when I go to subway I like to get a 6 inch italian bmt, bread (not all locations have the same ones I'm all over the country)
    spinach, tomato, pickles, onions, and vinegar. Not sure what the cals are will find out when I need to log it though.
  • LynneGG
    LynneGG Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The database here on MFP has various Subway sandwich combinations listed...you could look there and use the Subway website as well. I wouldn't eat there everyday like Jared did but once in a while might work for you
  • babybellyfat
    babybellyfat Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    wowowo thanks for the info! yuck
    I stopped eating there after a conversation with a former employee . . .

Their bread is not "freshly baked"; it is parbaked, shipped to them frozen in these weird little sticks, and finished in the store.

They add fragrancing chemicals to the bread to make it smell fresh. (This is why the stores smell so odd.)

Also, they use very old Teflon pans, many of which have begun to flake. If that isn't scary I don't know what is.
  • maura5880
    maura5880 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Gross! Reading these replies makes me psyched that I don't eat at Subway!
  • Gary1977
    Gary1977 Posts: 804 Member
    Options

That's 2 Foot Longs!

LMAO!
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I don't eat at subway cause I don't think it tastes good, and I can get a better tasting sandwich or felafel roll from a suburban takeaway for the same amount of calories. If it fails the taste test, it doesn't matter how healthy it is, I won't eat it!
  • lindsay6694
    Options
    if i have subway i try to keep my sodium way down for everything else that day. i usually get the 6" turkey & black forrest ham on whole wheat, sometimes i get cheese and loaded with veggies. and then usually mustard. or i dont get any condiments and just put 1tablespoon of light mayo on when i get home