Any Low-Carbers out there?

Options
Just wondering if there are any other low carbers out there that wanted to be friends! :) I need some support and some people who understand my diet plan :)

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Oh man, are you going to be sorry you posted this....
  • promgirl2013
    Options
    Why? :/
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Why? :/

People like to REALLY argue about low-carbs lately.
  • promgirl2013
    Options
    Oh i see.....Well, I don't know what to say other than it works for me... so yup lol.
  • rknrbnrn
    Options
    I'm a low carber and no gluten...have lost 40 lbs total. My A1c blood suger is down as well as BP and Cholesterol. It works for this metabolic- syndrome- middle- ager!
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you will lose weight eventually, but then you will hit a plateau, and eventually gain a lot more weight back, not a good approach!!
    Just wondering if there are any other low carbers out there that wanted to be friends! :) I need some support and some people who understand my diet plan :)

Thanks! :)
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    yeah it works in the beginning... but then you will get frustrated becasue you start gaining the weight back..... you need to eat fiber and whole grains from fruits and vegetables, 100% whole wheat bread... your body needs those vitamins and nutrients... just cut simple carbs out of your diet and you will be fine!!
    Oh i see.....Well, I don't know what to say other than it works for me... so yup lol.
  • LATeagno
    LATeagno Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Watching your carbs is as important as watching your calories. That said, eating no carbs... or even very, very, very few carbs for any long period of time, can definitely backfire.

That said, I'm a low carber. You wouldn't know that by looking at Thursday's diary, though-- I had a major run in with some pecan tarts. LOL. Friend me if you like-- I'm back on track tomorrow!
  • promgirl2013
    Options
    I do low carb as well. It is the only thing that has ever worked for me. Yes people do like to argue over it here, but really, everyone's body is different and I am a true believer in doing what works for you.

Totally agreed! :)
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm not exactly a low carber. But i am a high proteiner...which is very similar. is 60g or less (hopefully!) a low carber?

I find when I up the protein the carbs take care of themselves, theres only so many calories to go around!

Benefits- I'm never hungry, my muscles don't hurt as much and my nutrient scores take care of themselves without me taking a supplement!

All for the low carbs.

Go ahead and add me! Id love to be friend!
  • lizhipwell
    Options
    I do the low carb thing as well. I have to cuz I was diagnosed with diabetes in February...since then I have lost 66 lbs and my diagnosis has changed to pre-diabetic...works for me, so I will stick with it...
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    yeah it works in the beginning... but then you will get frustrated becasue you start gaining the weight back..... you need to eat fiber and whole grains from fruits and vegetables, 100% whole wheat bread... your body needs those vitamins and nutrients... just cut simple carbs out of your diet and you will be fine!!

Easy enough for you to say! Try having PCOS! Or any of the other syndroms that affect the way your body wants to store fat. I'm all for losing my belly. And i do eat a lot of veggies !
  • promgirl2013
    Options
    Ditto!
  • Melmade
    Melmade Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I'm usually a low-carb-ish type person these days, though I do graze a bit on bits of fruit I feed my son (10mos.), which ends up being 1/5th of a banana or 3 blueberries. I'll also usually have 1 slice of whole grain bread and/or a couple whole grain crackers in a day, but almost never more than that. I am totally with doing whatever works. I have been the most successful with lower carbs as long as I include lots of veggies with my proteins. Works for me and I'm typically over on fiber, which I think is a good thing. Friend me if you like--I'm here daily!
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I've been low-carb for a couple of years and quite content. Different things work for different people. :flowerforyou:
  • Liquid741
    Liquid741 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i was in a weigh loss plateau, and went low carb...helped break it. now im used to it...and like the eating approach im taking...i dont go super low on carbs, i try to only take in 100g per day.
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with low carbs. We eat way too many carbs anyway, in my opinion. The problem is how low is considered low. I was on a diabetic forum that was virtually NO carb. Yeah, it was great for blood sugar but it was insanely hard to do and hard on my body. I think lower carb, like under 100 a day is healthy and great for anybody with metabolic syndrome issues or diabetes.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I experimented with cutting out gluten and going low carb in general (reducing potatoes, rice etc on meals too) I lost half a stone instantly and my water retention was much better.

I seemed to get stuck on one weight though after a few weeks (didn't link it to exercise and building muscle though.. as was losing inches) I went back to carbs for 2 days to 'shake things up' and went up 2 lbs and fluctuated by 5 lbs in day, where on the diet I had only been fluctuating by 1 lb a day.. so I've decided to make it a permanent thing.. with a few changes. (I allow a mini yorkshire pudding on a sunday which does contain flour but thats it, I don't eat other cakes and switched to gluten free bread/pitta's)

My weakness is chocolate brownies but I found a Gluten Free one I can get from Waitrose (via Ocado delivery service).. so that's me sorted! :laugh:

Edit: I forgot to mention.. lot of people seem to include fruit and veg in carbs and cut them too but I don't as I only like a limited selection anyway.. by gluten free/low carb I mean cutting bread, pasta, white potatoes (allow sweet potato once a week), rice, anything wheat based.. ie wheat based noodles wouldn't be allowed but rice noodles would occasionally (not more than once a week).

I find if I allow something once in middle of strict diet around it, it doesn't have any affect on weight eg. a small jacket potato in middle of week with no other 'carbs' the day before or after has no effect, but a few days of carbs continously (normal bread for toast, sandwiches, AND potatoes/rice with dinner and my weight starts going up again.)

I allow Rice Krispies and Oats for cereals (rice cakes for occasional snack) but I substitute Rice for dinner with cauliflower whizzed up in processor to rice/cous cous size and steamed in microwave with garlic butter and bit of chilli so it's not so bland... lovely with a home made low cal curry on top! :tongue:
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 100 grams by Following the Primal blueprint approach! Friend me if you like!
  • cinico
    cinico Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under 100 grams by Following the Primal blueprint approach! Friend me if you like!