Not enough Calories! Help!!!!!

Options
I'm struggling to eat my 1200 calorie goal. I keep coming in short at 900-1000. I'm a busy person and usually dont realize until adter my morning run. Is it ok to eat so late to meet my calorie goal. Im afraid if I don't eat enought calories, I won't lose weight!!!!:indifferent:

Replies

• Cathleenr
    Cathleenr Posts: 332
    Options
    I'm struggling to eat my 1200 calorie goal. I keep coming in short at 900-1000. I'm a busy person and usually dont realize until adter my morning run. Is it ok to eat so late to meet my calorie goal. Im afraid if I don't eat enought calories, I won't lose weight!!!!:indifferent:

Generally true. You will not lose weight by eating less than 1200 calories.
    Plan your meals every day. Know what you are going to eat and when and get it ready, especially if you are 'busy'. It is a little bit of an imposition, but well worth it when, at the end of the day, you know you have all your meals and calories in.
    It does not matter when you eat, but what and how. You need some protein, some fat and some carbs at every meal.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Try some higher fat healthy snacks-- multigrain wheat bread with low sodium low sugar peanut butter, unsalted almonds, even just a glass of milk can help. Good luck!
  • miadvh
    miadvh Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    From what I've gathered, it doesn't really matter what time you eat. I tend to have late night snacks pretty often. Just try to find something healthy to get your calories up! :)
  • yeaforme
    Options
    I noticed I was low tonight. I wasn't hungry at all but I needed to go to the store so while I was there, I picked up some fresh Almond Butter, Delightful bread and a Sugar Free Jelly. I enjoyed a PB&J healthy style and I didn't feel a bit bad about that!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Nuts and nut butters
    avocado, whole-fat milk, miracle whip, mayo, salad dressing etc. Add some healthy oils to your cooking...
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    How is that you are overweight, have most likely been overeating for a number of years and now you can't manage to get in 1200 calories? What has changed? I'm sure you were eating more than that before or you'd never be overweight. Are you sure you've not become afraid to eat? I'm not trying to be accusatory, but maybe this is just a little something to toss around. I'm doing 1200 and damn, it's hardly any food at all, if you ask me. You can easily get there by having three meals a day of practically anything even the leanest, healthiest food, so I don't get why you are having trouble getting there. Buy some nuts and have a smack of a handful of nuts between meals. Protein, healthy fats and lots of calories if that's what you are needing.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options

You should actually be eating around 1410 according to your heigh/weight/goals etc. My guess is you chose to lose 2lbs a week -- which is too aggressive unless you have 75+ lbs to lose. This also means 1410 NET so if you're exercising you should be eating at least half of those back too - if not all of them.

Setting your goals based on weight you need to lose:

75lbs or more: Choose to lose 2lbs/week
    40-75 pounds: Choose to lose 1.5lbs/week
    25-40 pounds: Choose to lose 1lb/week
    15-20 pounds: Choose either 1/2lb or 1lb
    Less than 15/20 pounds: choose 1/2 lb/week

Some things that help you get more calorie in during the day:
    Protein shakes
    Greek yogurt (the good stuff -- the ones that have at least double protein over sugar/carbs - fage 0%, chobani 0% etc)
    Avocado
    Nuts
    Quinoa - good high protein, low glycemic grain
  • allieshaw
    allieshaw Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Before I was a fast food eater. At least 4 times a week. I ate tons of chocolate!! I really was not conscious of what I was putting in my mouth. I quit smoking and gained 20 Lbs.

Now I quit all my bad eating habits and work a full time job and juggle 2 babies. My day slips past me So fast that before I know it 9pm rolls around and I'm only at 900 healthy calories.

So.....my question is.........

Should I eat at 9pm so late just to meet my calorie goal or will eating late just cause more damage
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options
    Before I was a fast food eater. At least 4 times a week. I ate tons of chocolate!! I really was not conscious of what I was putting in my mouth. I quit smoking and gained 20 Lbs.

Now I quit all my bad eating habits and work a full time job and juggle 2 babies. My day slips past me So fast that before I know it 9pm rolls around and I'm only at 900 healthy calories.

Should I eat at 9pm so late just to meet my calorie goal or will eating late just cause more damage

YES you should eat ... it doesn't matter what time you eat if you have calories left over and you're hungyr -- eat something.
    You should be eating more than 1200 according to your stats too. 1410 is if you're sedentary.
  • allieshaw
    Options

YES you should eat ... it doesn't matter what time you eat if you have calories left over and you're hungyr -- eat something.
    You should be eating more than 1200 according to your stats too. 1410 is if you're sedentary.
  • allieshaw
    Options
    I wonder why Mfp put me at 1200. Would it be something I entered
  • mandimommy
    Options
    Definitely eat more. Pack a little snack bag to have midday -- a handful of nuts, a cheese slice, guacamole with veggies to dip in, etc. There are lots of easy and healthy ways to fuel your body. I definitely rely on a few good snacks to get my calories in.
  • allieshaw
    Options
    Ok there is no reason to fight over it. Obviously if I ate 1200 calories a day before...I would not be at 175 lbs right now!!!

Just a simple question. Thanks for all your input
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

No, you're probably fine at 1200. I've been at 1200 all year and am losing just fine. Depending on what site you visit online, the goals vary wildly.

If you're fine netting 1200, then stick with it. It has worked for me so far. :)
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options

Yes...it is definitely something you did when you set your goals. My guess is you chose to lose 2lbs a week thinking it would be quicker. Your ultimate goal is only 40lbs -- so the most you should choose to lose per week is 1.5. Choose 1 is safer and more liekly to be something you can stick to in the long run. You should reset your goals every time you lose 10 lbs.
  • allieshaw
    Options

No, you're probably fine at 1200. I've been at 1200 all year and am losing just fine. Depending on what site you visit online, the goals vary wildly.

If you're fine netting 1200, then stick with it. It has worked for me so far. :)
  • allieshaw
    Options

What kind of workouts do u do
  • MissMaryMac33
    Options

No, you're probably fine at 1200. I've been at 1200 all year and am losing just fine. I dunno where these calorie-Nazis get their numbers but, depending on what site you visit online, the goals vary wildly.

I got my numbers from MFP entering HER age, height, weight and goals.

You're only 5'2 --- and you had a lot more to lose when you set yours -- thats why 1200 might have made sense for you.
    If you put in your current stats with 130 as your goal and to lose 1lb a week -- yours is actually 1300 not 1200.
    If its working for you now thats great -- but when you plateau and wonder why now you know.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eat any time you like, and try taking a few minutes at the end of the day to plan your meals for the next day, then you won't end up in the same situation each day.
    It sounds like you are a busy person but I think that you need to look after yourself so you are healthy and fit to be able to look after everyone else!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options

I got my numbers from MFP entering HER age, height, weight and goals.

You're only 5'2 --- and you had a lot more to lose when you set yours -- thats why 1200 might have made sense for you.
    If you put in your current stats with 130 as your goal and to lose 1lb a week -- yours is actually 1300 not 1200.
    If its working for you now thats great -- but when you plateau and wonder why now you know.

I refresh my goals every time I log a loss and it still has me at 1200. I'm still losing actually a little faster than MFP says I ought to. It has me at 1.3 lbs. per week and I am losing 1.7. If I ever start to plateau then I will reconsider my goals but I have no reason to think that will happen. Plus, 1200 is not a magic number. It's a general minimum in order to make sure the AVERAGE adult is getting a minimum of required nutrients and energy. For shorter people, it's safe to net even fewer than that.

I don't want it to come across like I am disagreeing with you just to disagree. I'm just really careful not to engage in food and fitness dogma. Bodies respond to weight loss so differently with even the slightest difference in height or age. Just my thoughts. :)