sore muscles

Options
so ive had sore muscle more on the left side of my body that ive been noticing while working out.. although i can still ignore and push through easily i was wondering what i should do to help them, i would hate to not exercise :/

my left lower back is sore, and a muscle in my left calf is sore. so it strains sometimes during exercise.

Replies

• PBJunkie
    PBJunkie Posts: 652
    Options
    The whole left side of your body? Numbness? Sounds like a pinched nerve or a blood clot, did you have any injuries lately or even a bump?
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    The whole left side of your body? Numbness? Sounds like a pinched nerve or a blood clot, did you have any injuries lately or even a bump?

no just the lower back and calf muscle on my left side. soorry if i didnt explain properly.
  • PBJunkie
    Options

no just the lower back and calf muscle on my left side. soorry if i didnt explain properly.

Possible to describe the pain?
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    It could be your hamstrings!
  • babyblake11
    Options

just a slight muscle pull... i dunno but it hurts a tad
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    It could be your hamstrings!

How would your hamstring effect your calve and lower back?
  • PBJunkie
    Options

What exercises have you done in the past 2 day? If the pain doesn't subside in the next 48 hours it is best to go to a doctor, rather be safe than sorry.
  • byronlang
    Options
    I would look at adding Glutamine. It will take about 2 weeks to really notice but is well worth it.
  • babyblake11
    Options

What exercises have you done in the past 2 day? If the pain doesn't subside in the next 48 hours it is best to go to a doctor, rather be safe than sorry.

i do treadmill, running, weights/strength training, interval training, sometimes the bike, i havnt changed it up much lately and to be honest its been going on for a while now
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Try massaging a tennis ball into the tight spots. It hurts like crazy at the time, but the next day youll feel 100 times better :)
  • babyblake11
    Options
    Try massaging a tennis ball into the tight spots. It hurts like crazy at the time, but the next day youll feel 100 times better :)

i cant feel them when i try to touch them and find them, just when im moving a certain way :S
  • PBJunkie
    Options
    i do treadmill, running, weights/strength training, interval training, sometimes the bike, i havnt changed it up much lately and to be honest its been going on for a while now

Take a rest day or two and see how it goes, if the pain is still there then consult a doctor.

Glutamine is great for recovery, but if you pinched a nerve or pulled a muscle glutamine will hardly be beneficial.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    What kind of strength training? My first guess without knowing more and without jumping to worst case scenarios would be that it might be an issue with your form when weight lifting. If it's been persisting for a while though, I would say go to a doctor and get it checked out. Do you stretch before working out? Do you lift before or after cardio?
  • babyblake11
    Options
    What kind of strength training? My first guess without knowing more and without jumping to worst case scenarios would be that it might be an issue with your form when weight lifting. If it's been persisting for a while though, I would say go to a doctor and get it checked out. Do you stretch before working out? Do you lift before or after cardio?

i used to do weights after cardio but now before, sometimes i do skipping in between sets though.
    i think i have quite decent form except i recently lowered my reps and increased my weight (10 reps to 5 reps, gone from 6kg to 8kg) so my form is a bit more lacking in certain exercises (i have better form with bicep curls rather than chest press') i dont stretch before working out.
  • babyblake11
    Options

Take a rest day or two and see how it goes, if the pain is still there then consult a doctor.

Glutamine is great for recovery, but if you pinched a nerve or pulled a muscle glutamine will hardly be beneficial.

i just went for a run (i know, i know...) and the calf pain is barely there during, but it aches slightly afterwards and when i do any kind of twisting while running or exercising it hurts my left lower back a bit.
  • babyblake11
    Options
    okay i feel silly but its not my left calf muscle its an unknown muscle in the FRONT of my lower left leg...
  • karyngrace
    karyngrace Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    if its in the front of your leg maybe its a shin splint?? if its been going on for a while i'd do some stretching, chuck a compression bandage on it and haul *kitten* to the physio!! sometimes its better to figure out these things early before it gets really bad!
  • babyblake11
    Options
    if its in the front of your leg maybe its a shin splint?? if its been going on for a while i'd do some stretching, chuck a compression bandage on it and haul *kitten* to the physio!! sometimes its better to figure out these things early before it gets really bad!

shin split just sounds so gruesome when it doesnt even hurt that much!
    stretching does feel good but...
  • babyblake11
    Options
    "You may have a foot that tilts in (pronates) or out (supinates) when you run, causing your front leg muscles to work harder to achieve foot stability." - i think this could be a contributing factor. even with my lower back pain (from twisting while running) i think my left leg/foot does odd things when i run. do you think i should just try to pay more attention and fix it while running?
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'd say rest for a couple days and see if the pain goes away. If it does, go back to working out (slowly, don't jump right back in) and focus on your form. If it doesn't, go to the dr.

I blew out my ankle in college, continued walking on it after the surgery and trying to exercise cause I'm a stubborn ***. I'm going to have HORRIBLE arthritis when I get older now. Better safe than sorry.