Strange question...

Options
Ok, so I've never been one to drink enough. And I've never been a water drinker. Up until recent months, I could even go a whole day without realising that I hadn't had a single drink!

But now I'm changing that.

I'm certainly drinking more often and I'm beginning to notice when I've not had a drink, I actually feel THIRSTY. So there are no more days of no drinks!

But the thing is that now I am making a conscious effort to drink the right amount of water each day, I literally CAN NOT STOP going to the bathroom.

Like literally, I am going for a wee at least 1-2 times for every cup of water I drink. I am like a yo-yo at work!

Is this the case for EVERYBODY who drinks the right amount of fluid?! Or is it just me?

Or is it a case that once my body gets used to this "new" amount of fluid it's getting, it'll calm down a bit?!

Seriously, I'm like a race horse...

Replies

• MrsSpinks
    MrsSpinks Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I can't drink anywhere near the amount of water people think you should for this same reason! I need the loo every 15 minutes or so! So now, I only drink when I'm thirsty!x
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    yup, normal. if it continues, drink less, if it continues with drinking less go get checked out.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I also just recently started making sure I am drinking 8-8oz glasses of water a day. I find that after every 16 oz or so I have to use the bathroom. Its a good thing! Means your body is flushing our your system. While its annoying, its better than retaining all that water!
  • bandlfox
    Options
    You'll have to use the restroom more often than before because you are drinking now! But yes, the crazy every 5 minutes will go away with time as you adjust.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i gave up on the whole 8 glasses a day thing a while ago, its far too much for me. I drink if im thirsty or if my urine isnt running clear, if neither of those apply i consider myself hydrated.
  • shawn_chas102304
    Options
    I limit myself to 48 ounces of water a day. Once I drink the first 16-24 ounces, I start pee'ing.. then I don't stop it seems like. On a normal day (with 48 ounces throughout the day) I will pee 10 or more times. I just don't have the bladder size or control others have. I have seen people drink 100 ounces in a day on here.. I would LIVE in the bathroom if I did that. I guess my theory is that some is better than none... so I drink what I can handle.
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I am in the same situation! I drink minimum 3 liters of water a day, usually 4-5. And yes, I go to the bathroom every half hour if not earlier! I think that it is always going to be like that because even though you are able to drink more and more water as you go, your body is always going to have that much water in its system and it has to flush itself. So unfortunately, I think we are stuck with running to the ladies room one time to many during the day :/ lol
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    i go heaps as well... but its natural and its what your body is designed to do... i definetly wouldnt stop drinking water because of it. but maybe drink no more than 8 glasses so its not as bad.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I find that this is more of a problem if i'm knocking back glasses of water in one go every few hours. less of a problem if i'm drinking the same amount steadily from a water bottle,
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    it should calm down after the first few days!

might be a bit too much info, but if when you go to the loo it is practically clear then you can ease up on the water consumption!
  • Dtrmnd86
    Dtrmnd86 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Eventually your body will get used to it. I drink water all day long and it's gotten a lot better.
  • bandlfox
    Options
    I just have to disagree with everyone that said to drink less water. I'd talk to a doctor before deciding on drinking less water simply to save yourself a trip to the restroom a couple times a day, that's just silly.
  • MissObstinatiox
    MissObstinatiox Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I,ve been trying to drink 8 glasses of water but when i am i,m in and out the bathroom like crazy!
    I read somewhere that your bladder can adjust to the change and that it will get better (apparently)
    I,m trying to stay with it but feel like a recluse in the toilet all the time :0)
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    i gave up on the whole 8 glasses a day thing a while ago, its far too much for me. I drink if im thirsty or if my urine isnt running clear, if neither of those apply i consider myself hydrated.

Ditto above for me... I find that if I drink too much water I either get bloated and/or retain water or it increases my sensitivity to thirst. Of course make sure you drink more if you are doing lots of sweating/exercise though!
  • betzeross
    betzeross Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I can identify with you! I wonder what the guy that sits closest to the bathroom thinks of my frequent visits?! It has settled down some now, took a couple weeks to get used to water intake. Still better to drink and pee than not. :)
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options

^^ this! I think the whole water thing is overhpyed. You know if you're dehydrating cos you naturally get thirsty. And there is new evidence that all liquids count. So if you're drinking 4 cups of tea, an orange and soda PLUS 8 glasses of water, that would be the reason you live in the toilet!

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    it should calm down after the first few days!

might be a bit too much info, but if when you go to the loo it is practically clear then you can ease up on the water consumption!

As I understand it, if it's clear, then you're doing it right - it gets darker when there's more nasties to flush out. Clear wee is a sign that they're not building up in your system.
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yep, when you're not used to drinking so much, your body adjusts to that by getting rid of the excess as well as toxins in your system..it takes about a month or so for your body to adjust to it enough to slow down on hitting that bathroom every 15mins or so... I drink 8 or more a day typically but don't hit the bathroom over extreme. Every one is different though. Don't wait until you're thirsty to drink something..when you wait until then your body really is already dehydrated, that's why anyone feels thirsty. If you drink through the day you won't feel thirsty because you're already staying hydrated...
    If someone's urine is dark/discolored, they're body is dehydrated and/or they're not drinking enough water...everyone needs a certain amount of water ever day along with other liquids. Water is always the best thing to drink because our bodies are made up of a LOT of water and it needs to be replaced through the day. It keeps our skin clear as well because you're hydrated....
  • az82
    az82 Posts: 152
    Options
    Ok, so I've never been one to drink enough. And I've never been a water drinker. Up until recent months, I could even go a whole day without realising that I hadn't had a single drink!

But now I'm changing that.

I'm certainly drinking more often and I'm beginning to notice when I've not had a drink, I actually feel THIRSTY. So there are no more days of no drinks!

But the thing is that now I am making a conscious effort to drink the right amount of water each day, I literally CAN NOT STOP going to the bathroom.

Like literally, I am going for a wee at least 1-2 times for every cup of water I drink. I am like a yo-yo at work!

I know exactly how you feel. In the past, I had whole days that the only beverage I drank was my morning coffee. Now, I carry around a liter water bottle and try to drink at least two liters a day, if not more. At first, I had to go to the bathroom ALL the time. My body has since adjusted though and I go far less often - although still way more than before I started watching my fluid intake. However, my skin is so much healthier looking and I really do think it helps control appetite so going to bathroom more frequently is a trade-off I'm willing to take.