Is it really true that you can't gain muscle on a deficit ?

Options

Replies

• Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    0.6 pounds is nothing. Probably water weight.
  • bbabs99
    bbabs99 Posts: 51
    Options

From what I read, increasing muscle mass is more benefitial to weight loss than pure cardio due to muscle needing calories to exist basically.

Part of that isn't necessarily putting on lean muscle. There are arguments (I don't have the studies they're based on at hand, so I'm not going to state anything as a fact) that after strenuous weight training, the metabolism can be heightened for up to, I believe, 39 hours or more. While cardio does spike your metabolism, it's for a much shorter time.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    There are 4 ways to build muscle:

1. You are brand new to weight training or you are returning to weight training after a long break, and you can eat at a deficit and still make VERY small gains but that will "stabilize" so to speak until you start eating a calorie surplus.

2. You are morbidly obese and you are using your fat stores as fuel/energy (calories) to put on some muscle, although Lyle explains this much better. It's still very minimal gains.

3. You eat a calorie surplus.

4. You take steroids.

/thread
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read says that no, you can't gain muscle mass while on a deficit. Your body is not getting enough energy to live, therefor it has to pull energy from it's stores (usually fat, but sometimes it'll take muscle as well). These stores are precious and important. It doesn't like to use them. It certainly isn't going to use them to build muscle tissue.

Uh, no, it can't use fat to build muscle tissue, because muscle tissue isn't made of fat, it's made of proteins... this is not about thermodynamics (energy in / energy out). That would be nice, but your body isn't a closed system, and not all calories are treated the same way by your body. This is really about biochemistry, so it's much more complicated & messy. But if you give your body the tools it needs, the proper nutrients, that's how you can build your muscles.

My doctor has a fancy machine that calculates body composition. He tested me back in March (when I began) and every month since. I've consistently lost fat & water weight, and gained about a pound of muscle a month.

Here are some interesting articles:
    http://danceswithfat.wordpress.com/2011/06/02 /calories-incalories-out-science-says-no/
    http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-library/why-we-get-fat/
  • Cranapple
    Options
    From what I read, increasing muscle mass is more benefitial to weight loss than pure cardio due to muscle needing calories to exist basically.

I think other people have done a good job answering your main question about whether you can add muscle mass while cutting calories, but an important point that hasn't really been touched on is the basic question of whether adding muscle mass will result in significant weight loss through an increased RMR.

In short, it will not. A pound of fat requires roughly 2kCal per day, while a pound of muscle requires roughly 6 kCal per day. Even if you added 10 pounds of pure muscle (ignoring any fat losses), you'd only be burning 60 calories extra a day.

Sources: http://articles.latimes.com/2011/may/16/health/la-he-fitness-muscle-myth-20110516
    http://sweatscience.com/is-strength-training-really-better-than-cardio-for-weight-loss/
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The point of resistance training in a fat loss routine really isn't about creating a calorie deficit. That's the job of your diet (and cardio if you choose to do it.)

The point is to retain existing muscle mass (or in some specific cases add to it) help with functional day to day strength, increase bone density, preventing osteoarthritis, inhibiting sarcopenia, helping to reduce day to day injury, helping with balance, elevating mood, improving CV capacity and generally looking good naked when your diet has stripped away excessive levels of body fat.

If your mindset when incorporating resistance training into your fat loss routine is centred around creating a calorie deficit you probably misunderstand its primary purpose.
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options

If your mindset when incorporating resistance training into your fat loss routine is centred around creating a calorie deficit you probably misunderstand its primary purpose.

That would be why I ask. No one wants to feel like they worked their *kitten* off only to find they didn't achieve the results they were looking for. THAT is what leads to failure and quitting.

I believe that people want desperately to lose weight FAST so as to beat their loss of willpower to the finish line. Yes, I know there's no finish line if you actually intend to get / stay healthy but IMHO your willpower DOES have a finish line. And one must achieve results worth while discussing BEFORE the will to do the work dies.

Maintaining on less will should be easier.
  • brucedelaney
    brucedelaney Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read says that no, you can't gain muscle mass while on a deficit. Your body is not getting enough energy to live, therefor it has to pull energy from it's stores (usually fat, but sometimes it'll take muscle as well). These stores are precious and important. It doesn't like to use them. It certainly isn't going to use them to build muscle tissue.

Uh, no, it can't use fat to build muscle tissue, because muscle tissue isn't made of fat, it's made of proteins... this is not about thermodynamics (energy in / energy out). That would be nice, but your body isn't a closed system, and not all calories are treated the same way by your body. This is really about biochemistry, so it's much more complicated & messy. But if you give your body the tools it needs, the proper nutrients, that's how you can build your muscles.

My doctor has a fancy machine that calculates body composition. He tested me back in March (when I began) and every month since. I've consistently lost fat & water weight, and gained about a pound of muscle a month.

http://danceswithfat.wordpress.com/2011/06/02 /calories-incalories-out-science-says-no/

He didn't say use fat to build muscle directly. He said use the fat as the energy to build the muscle. Which we all know occurs when we're in a caloric deficit.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

That would be why I ask. No one wants to feel like they worked their *kitten* off only to find they didn't achieve the results they were looking for. THAT is what leads to failure and quitting.

I believe that people want desperately to lose weight FAST so as to beat their loss of willpower to the finish line. Yes, I know there's no finish line if you actually intend to get / stay healthy but IMHO your willpower DOES have a finish line. And one must achieve results worth while discussing BEFORE the will to do the work dies.

Maintaining on less will should be easier.

Yes, I agree. You raise an important and good point about the importance of goals and how your training and diet must match that in order to achieve them.

Most people say their goal is WEIGHT loss when in reality it is FAT loss. To reach a goal efficiently your training and diet must match it and be tailored to it accordingly. If a person switches their focus to fat loss and functional strength a lot of information professionals provide (suitable calorie deficits, adequate rest and recovery, long term thinking, resistance training) makes far more sense. I
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Very well said.

I think this ties in to people being well educated/informed and having appropriate expectations. Losing weight is not the same as getting healthy, and the scale is not the determining factor in success.

As to your original question... as others have said, you can make very minor gains while on a deficit (this makes some assumptions and is dependent on the size of that deficit, body type, etc).
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options

First off, I'm calling BS on gaining a pound of muscle a month for a 35 year old FEMALE non the less. That would be difficult for a male todo following a well prepared plan for bodybuilding naturally. Your Dr. needs better equipment and learn how to use it. Go get yourself checked using a BodPod and I can guarantee you your results will be significantly different.

Second, to answer the OP, it's extremely difficult to gain muscle mass on a deficit. A few have already answered correctly about small early gains for a newbie. Best you can hope for is maintain the lean mass you have while burning away the fat.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Protein biosynthesis and mucscle growth happens at its own rate regardless of caloric surplus or deficit, but there are tons of factors involved. Too many to get too in depth.
    The maximum size of skeletal muscle you can have (without steroids) is directly related to the overall mass of your skeletal frame. The further you are from that maximum size, the easier it is to build muscle. The closer you are, the harder it is. The only reason you would need a calorie surplus is if you're already pretty big and trying to build more. Take, for instance, someone who breaks their leg. When they get the cast off the leg muscles are small and atrophied and have to be rehabilitated. I've never heard of people being prescribed a calorie surplus and crates of muscle milk to rebuild the muscles in your leg, nor is it likely that you will never be able to walk again if you're on a calorie deficit. That's just silly.
    So what happens to all the protein you eat if you eat 1 calorie less than your maintenance calories? Does it magically vanish? Wouldn't you die from a cold since you could no longer produce antibodies? How much extra protein could you possibly get from a 100 calorie surplus? Enough to turn 450 grams of protein into muscle tissue? The math doesn't add up.
    If you can't gain muscle on a 'modest' calorie deficit then you're doing something wrong. Yes, it will be a bit slower, but not as much as you might think.
  • joejccva71
    Options
    Protein biosynthesis and mucscle growth happens at its own rate regardless of caloric surplus or deficit, but there are tons of factors involved. Too many to get too in depth.
    The maximum size of skeletal muscle you can have (without steroids) is directly related to the overall mass of your skeletal frame. The further you are from that maximum size, the easier it is to build muscle. The closer you are, the harder it is. The only reason you would need a calorie surplus is if you're already pretty big and trying to build more. Take, for instance, someone who breaks their leg. When they get the cast off the leg muscles are small and atrophied and have to be rehabilitated. I've never heard of people being prescribed a calorie surplus and crates of muscle milk to rebuild the muscles in your leg, nor is it likely that you will never be able to walk again if you're on a calorie deficit. That's just silly.
    So what happens to all the protein you eat if you eat 1 calorie less than your maintenance calories? Does it magically vanish? Wouldn't you die from a cold since you could no longer produce antibodies? How much extra protein could you possibly get from a 100 calorie surplus? Enough to turn 450 grams of protein into muscle tissue? The math doesn't add up.
    If you can't gain muscle on a 'modest' calorie deficit then you're doing something wrong. Yes, it will be a bit slower, but not as much as you might think.

New muscle tissue beyond someone's current body composition requires more energy to be taken in then burned. I'm not saying very minimal gains can't be made by someone that is morbidly obese or someone that is brand new to resistance training.

You ever see men at the gym that go there for months upon months, year after year and never get any bigger? Do you ever wonder why? If people could gain pounds of lean muscle mass on a calorie deficit then almost everyone in the gym would have very little bodyfat, be ripped and have loads of muscle mass. This is not the case.

Please do some real research about the subject before you start spreading false information.
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    ~~ You CAN gain muscle mass on a deficit. How do I know this? I was part of a university study that literally measured *specifically* my muscle growth over a 6 week period. ~~
  • joejccva71
    Options
    I give up lol
  • jg627
    Options

New muscle tissue beyond someone's current body composition requires more energy to be taken in then burned. I'm not saying very minimal gains can't be made by someone that is morbidly obese or someone that is brand new to resistance training.

You ever see men at the gym that go there for months upon months, year after year and never get any bigger? Do you ever wonder why? If people could gain pounds of lean muscle mass on a calorie deficit then almost everyone in the gym would have very little bodyfat, be ripped and have loads of muscle mass. This is not the case.

Please do some real research about the subject before you start spreading false information.
    Do you even know what protein biosynthesis means?
  • joejccva71
    Options

Yes I know what it means.

Do you know what "you cannot build new tissue beyond your current composition without energy" means? =)

(we can do this all day long..)
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I give up lol
    I sent you a message considering I didn't want to type out my story on here. I'm genuinely confused and would like your take on my results from the study I was in. Thanks!!
  • jg627
    Options

Yes I know what it means.

Do you know what "you cannot build new tissue beyond your current composition without energy" means? =)

(we can do this all day long..)
    Then please describe.