Need your help with slow cooker...

Options
jude666
jude666 Posts: 231 Member
My mum (god bless her!), recently gave me a slow cooker that she won in a raffle and has never used, I was desperate to try one out as I currently work in London but live in the countryside and, as you can image, by the time I get home at night after a 9-5 shift, it's approximately 7.15 and i'm pooped!!! :yawn:

Most of the recipes I have seen for slow cookers have been for approximately 4 hours but this just isn't enough for me as I'm out of the house from about 6.45 in the morning till about 7.15 at night so I need about 12 hours of cooking time!!!! I can't see from the slow cooker that it has an automatic switch off option (mind you i haven't yet read the instructions :embarassed: (coz i'm crap!)).

SOOOOOOO does anyone have any recipes for a really long cooking time I can pinch? Or any suggestions as to how I get around this? I think the slow cooker isn't going to really help me plan ahead as at the moment, cooking when i've had such a long day is a total chore, especially when I wanna go for a run!!!!

Thanks very much x :flowerforyou:

Replies

• tricia3368
    Options
    if there is a low and high button definately chose low. I usually will get a pot roast and cook it over night in a bit of water and season with onion then the next day i will add veggies and potatoes to it... I never really time it when its done you will know its done
  • msmayor
    msmayor Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I used to prepare my meal at night for the next day - so when you get home by 7 ish I would start then and set the clock to wake up and turn off - then you have lunch for the next day and dinner:bigsmile:
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I recommend the Fit it and Forget it cookbooks. They are great for slow cookers. Most of the recipes are 8-10 hours on low, but if you put the meat in frozen 12 hours would be reasonable. I use my slow cooker all the time. In fact beef stew is on the menu this weekend and soup for next week.
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Another option is to hook your slow cooker up to a light timer (like the kind you use for Christmas lights). You can set the timer to turn out when you need it and then it won't cook all day. This is a great option if your cooker doesn't have a timer.
  • Iheartsushi
    Iheartsushi Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I used to prepare my meal at night for the next day - so when you get home by 7 ish I would start then and set the clock to wake up and turn off - then you have lunch for the next day and dinner:bigsmile:

Yep! This! Nothing like waking up in the morning smelling your food already cooked for the day :-)
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    my mother got me this book when i moved out, filled with a lot of great recipies http://www.amazon.com/Best-Slow-Easy-Recipes-Flavor-Packed/dp/1933615249, and this is my favorite slow cooker recipie.

Ropa vieja

MEAT

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 medium onions, minced
    ¼ cup tomato paste
    2 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
    Salt
    2 ½ cups of water
    ¼ cup of soy sauce
    2 bay leaves
    2 ½ pounds skirt or flank steak, cut into 3-inch pieces
    Ground black pepper

PEPPERS AND SAUCE

1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 large red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and sliced into thin strips
    2 large green bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and sliced into thin strips
    1 medium onion, halved and sliced thin
    Salt
    3 medium garlic cloves, minced or pressed through a garlic press
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    ¾ teaspoon ground cumin
    ½ cup dry white wine
    ½ cup pimiento-stuffed green olives, rinsed and halved
    2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley leaves
    1-3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    Ground black pepper

1. For the Meat: Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onions, tomato paste, garlic, and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until softened and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the Water, scraping up any browned bits. (you can do this step the night before and leave it in the fridge and put it all in the slow cooker in the morning)
    2. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker and stir in the soy sauce and bay leaves until evenly combined. Season the meat with salt and pepper and nestle it in the slow cooker. Cover and cook, either on low or high, until the meat is tender, 9 to 11 hours on low or 5 to 7 hours on high.
    3. Transfer the meat to a platter and cool slightly. Using 2 forks, shred the meat into small pieces, discarding any fat. Let the cooking liquid settle for 5 minutes, then gently tilt the slow cooker and remove as much fat as possible from the surface using a large spoon. Measure out and reserve 2 cups of the cooking liquid, discarding any extra liquid.
    4. For the Peppers and Sauce: Pulse the tomatoes with their juice in a food processor until coarsely pureed, about 7 pulses, and set aside. Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the bell peppers, onion, and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are softened and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, oregano, and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the wine, scraping up any browned bits. Stir in the processed tomatoes, olives, and 2 cups of the reserved cooking liquid from the meat, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring often, until the peppers are soft and the sauce has thickened slightly, 12 to 15 minutes.
    5. Stir in the shredded meat and continue to cook until the meat is heated through and the flavors have combined, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and 1 tablespoon of the vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste before serving.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    You can usually put anything in the crock pot for a long period of time, but just set it on a really low setting to properly cook throughout the day.

Often, I'll whip up something the night before, throw it all in the crock pot, throw it in the fridge, then plug it in in the morning. I typically work an 8 hour day, so by the time I come home, everything is ready to eat and not burnt.

Just make sure you're not slow cooking raw meat or any recipes with milk/cream in them (it will curdle).
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I just searched to see if I could find it and couldn't - I'll look again when I have more time. Years ago, I bought an adapter for my crockpot - you plug the crockpot into this thing and then into the wall -- anyway, I got it because it would auto switch to just "Warm" after 4-6-or 8 hours depending on how you program it. Might be worth a quick search to see if you could find it.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Use the low button, put the meat in frozen, it will be ready for you when you want it. I use my slow cooker all the time this way. There are so many great recipes, but as you get used to it, just be creative. One of my favorites is pulled pork bbq or beef stew....Yum!
  • tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    skinnycrockpot.com... we live off of this site!
  • AngelaLVGJN
    AngelaLVGJN Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of recipes out there that you can cook for 8-9 hours on low. Most recipes that call for 4-5 hours are on high.

You can easily cook things like pork or beef roasts for 10-12 hours. I have often put things in the crock pot before going to work and eaten them when I've gotten home approx 12 hours later.

Try this:
    Pot Roast:
    One 3-5 lb beef roast (I use a frozen one)
    1 can beef broth
    1 can or pkg onion soup mix

Place this in the bottom of the slow cooker. You can add potatoes (CUT BIG - maybe in half only) and Carrots (Either baby carrots (not cut) or large chunks of peeled whole carrots). I add them carefully on TOP of the roast. Cook on low for 9-12 hours :) It is super tender and yummy when you get home.

I also LOVE pulled pork:
    1 Pork Loin
    1 can pineapple in natural juices
    1/2 to 1 tsp liquid smoke
    Coarse Salt
    Black pepper

Put pork loin in crock pot. Drain the pineapple saving the juice. Mix the Juice and liquid smoke together. Salt and pepper the pork. Pour the juice/liquid smoke over the pork. You can add the pineapple in on top or I just put it in the fridge for future use. You could also just buy some pineapple juice, but I never have that. Cook on low for 9-10 hours. (Can be extended if needed). When you get home, shred it, serve it on rolls or just plain with sides like a baked potato...it is delicious! The leftovers are awesome! I freeze them in meal size containers for my family (4 people) and we can have this meal multiple times. You could also add BBQ sauce for pulled pork sandwiches :)

Good luck!
  • purpletrillium
    Options
    You can cook a brothy meal like chicken soup or beef stew. If you cook on a low setting, most meals take 6-8 hours anyway. It would be good if you have a timer feature which changes to 'warm' setting after 8 hours. I use a plastic liner in the crock pot to keep food from burning inside the crock pot. (The brand is Reynolds).
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have a slow cooker and love it.To me it does save time. I have put in a roast at night and cooked it all night which is a 10 hr.time frame.I have also cooked during the day,I would say cook what you would like and maybe just turn the settings on a lower tempature..
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    www.skinnytaste.com has some good recipes. I just made the Turkey Pumpkin Chili yesterday. I put it in the crockpot on Low at around 6am and we ate around 5:30pm. You should be able to cook just about anything on low for long periods of time.
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I just made this last week! It was sooo good! Skinnytaste is a great site for low cal great tasting recipes
    www.skinnytaste.com has some good recipes. I just made the Turkey Pumpkin Chili yesterday. I put it in the crockpot on Low at around 6am and we ate around 5:30pm. You should be able to cook just about anything on low for long periods of time.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    My mum (god bless her!), recently gave me a slow cooker that she won in a raffle and has never used, I was desperate to try one out as I currently work in London but live in the countryside and, as you can image, by the time I get home at night after a 9-5 shift, it's approximately 7.15 and i'm pooped!!! :yawn:

Most of the recipes I have seen for slow cookers have been for approximately 4 hours but this just isn't enough for me as I'm out of the house from about 6.45 in the morning till about 7.15 at night so I need about 12 hours of cooking time!!!! I can't see from the slow cooker that it has an automatic switch off option (mind you i haven't yet read the instructions :embarassed: (coz i'm crap!)).

SOOOOOOO does anyone have any recipes for a really long cooking time I can pinch? Or any suggestions as to how I get around this? I think the slow cooker isn't going to really help me plan ahead as at the moment, cooking when i've had such a long day is a total chore, especially when I wanna go for a run!!!!

Thanks very much x :flowerforyou:

Get an appliance timer. Prepare the meal in the crockpot ceramic the night before and put it in the fridge. The next morning as you're walking out the door put the ceramic in the cooker, set the appliance timer to the time you want the cooker to start, and cook away.
  • jude666
    jude666 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :noway: :love: I am overwhelmed by all your responses... you guys are ace!!! Thanks ever so much. I am soooooooooo gonna try some of these (you've just made me really really hungry)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! x
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options

We had this last week too. It's so good!