Stuck not loosing anymore and only been a month

Options
I started mfp on Sept 3rd, lost the 1st two weeks but seems to be on a plateau already. I eat less then 1200 cal a day and walk 3-4 miles a day. AT my weight I seems very early to not be losing anymore.

Replies

• Kaimana94
    Kaimana94 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    you may need to eat more cals
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I'd bet the farm it is because you are consuming too few calories. You have to feed the body for it to behave!
  • prettytothinkso
    Options
    Everything I've read says we should be eating AT LEAST 1200 calories a day.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It could be your calories. It could also have to do with your food choices, since I had the same thing happen when I first tried to lose weight... I only cut my portions but didn't change what I ate. I don't really know since I can't see your food diary.

Other things to consider are water and if you're getting enough sleep. Sleep is really important in weight loss.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Read this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics

As already suggested, you are probably not eating enough. Why are you eating under 1200 calories a day? Almost no one should be eating so few calories. Have you used MFP's tools to set a realistic goal for weight loss?

Again, read that thread. Ladyhawke's post has excellent information on what a realistic goal is based on your BMI.
  • amkelley
    Options
    I would eat a couple hundred calories more a day honestly. Are you eating your exercise calories? I would eat at least half of them back too.
  • JipsyJudy
    JipsyJudy Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't agree that you need to eat more calories, but you need to look at what you are eating and the effect it's having on your body. Especially are you getting enough fiber and water, and are you getting too much salt. The human body has something like 33 feet of intestines. If your body starts holding more sewage, you can add another 5 to 6 pounds on the scale. It is not possible to fail to lose weight on 1200 calories a day unless your metabolism is badly out of whack.
  • eviltwinkie
    Options
    Maybe try and vary your calories. NOT eating the same thing, food and calorie wise, seems to help with me. Also reducing the carbs. Doesn't have to be hugely low carb, but tweaking it down always makes a difference. But it could be something else that's tripping you up.

Go back in your diary and look for patterns. Are you getting well balanced nutrition? Same calories every day? High on carbs, sugars, etc? Try switching things up.

There's folks who can post great links on 'calorie cycling. (or whatever the correct term is)' moving your target up and down during the week. I know the weeks I do that, along with keeping my carbs lower, I do better.

Also make sure you're logging your exercise honestly and eating those exercise calories. You earned them and your body needs it!

Oh yeah - someone above mentioned that too. Maybe log in the notes your sleep patterns! Man, I should start doing that! I know my overall health is just better when I get decent sleep... less colds, allergy problems aren't as drastic, not as grumpy at work... heh heh.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I eat less then 1200 cal a day and walk 3-4 miles a day
    there ya go.......your body is holding on to every bit of energy it can in order to keep walking.
  • snowyangel61
    snowyangel61 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I have opened my diary public now.
  • snowyangel61
    Options
    Thanks for your comment, I get average 7 hours sleep a night, I eat very little carbs. I never eat my exercise cal, I use a nano for walking and it is accurate according to their exercise in this program.
  • snowyangel61
    Options
    lol, I saw the loose/lose thing little late.. people keep telling me to eat more but feels like I am eating too much then. Feels like why am I walking if I eat all those cal I am burning off.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'm going to ask again...why eat only/under 1200 calories a day? Where did you get that number from? The vast majority of women should be eating more than 1200 calories a day, especially if they're exercising.

I recommend reading the thread I posted earlier. I also recommend going through the MFP goal setup again, make your goal to lose only 1 lb per week and see what daily calorie goal you get.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    It is not possible to fail to lose weight on 1200 calories a day unless your metabolism is badly out of whack.

Which it will be if you consistently eat less than 1200 calories a day.
  • Raf702
    Raf702 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I started mfp on Sept 3rd, lost the 1st two weeks but seems to be on a plateau already. I eat less then 1200 cal a day and walk 3-4 miles a day. AT my weight I seems very early to not be losing anymore.

What's your maintenance calories for the day? And how much are you consuming in grams from your Macro-nutrients(fat/carbs/protein). How often are you checking your weight?
  • snowyangel61
    Options
    HELP, what am I doing wrong, I am still on my plateau I have not lost in 4 weeks and have been faithful with my calories and walking.
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    HELP, what am I doing wrong, I am still on my plateau I have not lost in 4 weeks and have been faithful with my calories and walking.

Either you are cheating on the days you aren't logging

OR

you need to eat every one of your exercise calories and/or change the type of exercise you are doing.

I am going to assume you are not cheating :flowerforyou: and suggest you switch from walking to some kind of exercise video like Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred or similar. Start eating more. Try this for just one week and see what happens.

PS: eating more doesn't necessarily mean eating more stuff, just eat higher calorie stuff like peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches and hummus and crackers and higher fat meats.