On day 6 and boy am I hungry!

I know it's normal to feel a bit hungry when you start a new way of eating, and I dropped from an average of 2000 cals a day down to 1400 when I started MFP on Sunday, but oh boy am I hungry today! I ate a big breakfast to try to keep myself from overdoing it later, so hopefully that helps some. Anybody have any pointers otherwise?

Replies

• carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Make sure you're eating foods that are high in fiber and protein. You can eat a lot more food for 1400 calories than you think!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Healthy snacks that are low in calorie, like carrots and celery, also almonds are great a lot of people here reccomend that! Pick foods that are filling, eat a salad before dinner just watch the calories on your dressing and you will feel fuller...
  • I try to drink some water before i eat anything. Water takes up some space, so I'm prone not to eat as much.
  • ameyc2002
    ameyc2002 Posts: 247 Member
    try to get in as much water as you can it will help keep you feeling full
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Try to get some exercise in and then you can eat more! Drink more water! Sorry, that's all I have right now..LOL It does get better!
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    You know that feeling after eating too much food that you love? Well thats the feeling of gaining weight. You are now feeling the opposite of that. Hang in there, chew gum so you are less likely to snack, if you break down make sure you have a really big glass of water first and wait 15 minutes.
  • AdventureFreak
    AdventureFreak Posts: 236 Member
    I cannot see your diet but lean protein and good complex carbohydrates will help to sustain satisfaction. Most people recommend at least 20% of your calories be protein. Many people eat 35-40% or more in protein.

Some complex carbs that come to mind are beans, real oats, and whole wheat pastas/breads.

Ryan
  • mikegohl
    mikegohl Posts: 68 Member
    Eat a normal breakfast and plan some healthy snacks.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    For me it's easier to have a mid-morning snack (high in protein) than to eat a big breakfast and hope it lasts until lunch.

Also, a cup of tea seems to help. And maybe it's just me but mint tea is even better. If you can go for a walk that might curb your appetite a little as well.

Personally I don' t let myself get too hungry - I am always hungry for lunch but I'm not going to sit there and starve for 3 or 4 hours.
  • I know they say to have big breakfasts, medium lunches and small dinners but I find that it doesn't work for me, hunger control wise. When I have a smaller breakfast, I tend to eat a little less during the day. (Again, that's just me...might not work for you/your metabolism).

Some tips, though:
    DRINK LOTS OF WATER! I have water with me and I sip sip sip all day long. That really keeps hunger in check.
    ADD PROTEIN to every meal. The protein keeps you full longer.
    HIGH FIBRE foods also keep you full (i.e. apples, pears, whole grain breads, etc)
    SNACK on nuts...but be careful of portion sizes

Good luck!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    We often confuse thirst for hunger, so always start with a glass of water before you reach for food :) Good luck! iT GETS MUCH EASIER!!
  • look at what you eat as well as how many calories. Eat things high in fiber and drink lots of water with it. The fiber fills you up for longer and the water fills up your tummy too. If you are eating lots of carbs make sure they are good complex carbs that take longer to digest as that will make you feel full longer.
    Good luck. You can do it. :-)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    I was hungry for the first month until I changed my diet to mainly lean proteins and a crap ton of veggies. For me, it takes 1 month of constant vigilence for something to become habit. Good luck. I also made sure to earn a lot more calories in the gym so that when I was hungry I could eat.
  • xasov
    xasov Posts: 1
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Make sure you're eating foods that are high in fiber and protein. You can eat a lot more food for 1400 calories than you think!

^^This.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Computer went all weird and posted 3 times sorry!
  • kheady
    kheady Posts: 1 Member
    Instead of eating so many calories at breakfast save some for a mid morning snack. Try to spread the calories out over the whole day. Do you like, cucumbers, pickles celery?? These are low calorie or NO calorie snacks that can tide you over. Balancing your meals also helps dont eat just carbs try to get in a balance of the food groups.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    see above post. My work computer hates me :(
  • Try spacing your meals out for every 3 hours. if you eat about 200-300 calories every 3 hours, you stay feeling satisfied. high fiber and high protein are the way to go. no "empty" calories like soda and candy. they just play games with your blood sugar and make you feel hungrier later. you are also more than likely on a "carb withdrawl" of some sort as well since most of us become addicted to carbs (good and bad). It will pass.
  • Robinkinchen
    Robinkinchen Posts: 39 Member
    Stay well hydrated. Eat quality food, don't waste calories on junk food. Remember that this will pass once your body becomes accustomed to this change you won't feel hungry all of the time.