Insanity or P90X?

Options
For those of you have done one of these, or both, which one would you suggest I do first? What are the major differences? I am ordering this weekend to start on November 1st, so would really appreciate any recommendations.

Replies

• Chaosdrone
    Options
    insanity in my opion i started insanity and after 3 or 4 dvds of it ive noticed great changes to my cardio and weight loss. I warn you insanity is extremely challenging and it will hurt. I was sore for 3 days after the first dvd but it is worth it .
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like P90X over insanity. I am currently doing a P90X with an Insanity Ab workout. P90X is more gradual and user friendly. If you are new to working out I would definately go with the P90X. If you would like add me as a friend and I can lend support to the P90X program.

Greg Reil
    P90X Fan
  • jeremyj_44
    Options
    If you're goals are too get lean, weight loss, or ripped then I would go with Insanity. I've done both. The Insanity workouts are bout 40 min and go by really fast! the p90x workouts last about an hour but are interesting. I just like the fast pace of insanity but I think results are better with p90x. However, it solely depends on you and the dedication to pushing play and your diet. Good luck!
  • kellybstampin
    Options
    I've heard great things about both. Some people say they like Shaun T (Insanity) better than Tony, though. They'll both get you in the most amazing shape of your life!

I highly recommend you order through a Beachbody coach -- and log your workouts so that you get entered to win $500/day.
  • dpetre
    dpetre Posts: 22
    Options
    Here is my take on the two -

P90x -

•Upside - Best all around fitness program. Full body workout for sure! It’s 3 resistance workouts 2 cardio workouts and 1 yoga per week. Rest on the 7th day. Awesome for trimming down and building strength all over. Perfect if you work from home.
    •Downside – Lots of pushups and pull-ups that may not work so well for some women. Some call it a “boy workout”. Also, the workouts are at least an hour and can go over 1.5 hrs if you do the ab work after the resistance workouts. You need weights for it so it doesn’t travel all that well because of that and the time commitment.

Insanity -

•Upside – If you consider P90X extreme strength conditioning, Insanity is extreme cardio with a focus on core. It’s not easy by any stretch but I l-o-v-e it. You don’t need any equipment and the workouts are about 40 mins max. Those two things make it perfect for traveling. I sweat like you would not believe during these workouts.
    •Downside – there really isn’t many other than it not having a whole lot of resistance training so if you are looking for weight training as well, you will need to add it to your routine.

In my opinion, either one is great. It depends on what outcome you are looking for.

Hope this helps.
    Debbie
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I sent you a PM :) I will do a detailed review if you like. I've done both twice now :) Both are amazing programs.
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    What draws me to Insanity is that it doesn't require equipment. P90X looks awesome, but am a little intimidated by the chin up bar, and would need to purchase a full set up weights, right?
  • carloP90X
    carloP90X Posts: 109
    Options
    Depends on your goals. If you want pure fat burning extreme cardio only: Insanity!

If you want a build lean muscle (get strong) and lose body fat: P90X!

Why not have the best of both worlds and do both? take out Plyometrics, Kenpo X and Cardio X from P90X and replace them with Insanity workouts...and whatever you do, do not skip Yoga X or X stretch from P90X
  • prettyfitchick
    prettyfitchick Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have yet to finish P90X since Im going to basic In jan I wanted to start a workout program that i can complete by then Insanity is intense Cardio with resistance training (no equipment needed) P90X includes weights or resistance bands but they are both great work out plans and they will both get you in great shape but if you not ready for the high impact cardio go with P90X first but the weights will have you sore
  • Spitfirex007
    Options
    What draws me to Insanity is that it doesn't require equipment. P90X looks awesome, but am a little intimidated by the chin up bar, and would need to purchase a full set up weights, right?

There is no reason to be intimidated by the chin up bar. You do the best you can with each workout. If you can only do half a pull up, then do half a pull up! They also show you how to modify and use a chair.

And yeah you would need at least one set of dumb bells. Probably looking at an extra $30 for those. The chin up bar is around $50 or $60. I can't remember off the top of my head.

And Insanity is great! And it's awesome that you don't need the extra equipment. But don't base your purchase on that unless money is an issue. These two programs are completely different from each other. Base it on what your goals are.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have done both programs....I agree with the post that suggests doing both....there are Worksheets for P90X / Insanity Hybrids. I really think with this you would get the best of both worlds...If you are only going to purchase one of the programs, then you will have to explore the reasoning for the exercises...toning? cardio? Length of time you have to exercise daily? I really think with either program you won't be disappointed. And also agree with the post that suggests to order through a Beach Body coach...they are a wonderful resource if you have questions.
    Good Luck!
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    I use resistance bands instead of the pull up bar. Plus I can only do pushups on my knees. Even so I feel that I get a great workout with P90x. It'll be great to see what kind of progress I can make regarding pushups. You can use resistance bands instead of weights also.
    Soo anyways, I'm sure whichever program you choose, you will like.
  • Spitfirex007
    Options
    I use resistance bands instead of the pull up bar. Plus I can only do pushups on my knees. Even so I feel that I get a great workout with P90x. It'll be great to see what kind of progress I can make regarding pushups. You can use resistance bands instead of weights also.
    Soo anyways, I'm sure whichever program you choose, you will like.

Did you download the P90X PDF workoutsheets via Teambeachbody? I know a ton of people don't even know they are there. So I always try to ask people. Super useful for those doing the program.
  • Gee45
    Gee45 Posts: 171
    Options
    Did you download the P90X PDF workoutsheets via Teambeachbody? I know a ton of people don't even know they are there. So I always try to ask people. Super useful for those doing the program.

No I haven't. Every time he mentions marking stuff down, I think, maybe I should. I feel lazy in that regard. :P Besides, I just keep in my mind how many pushups I do while they do theirs. Eventually I'll get faster and be able to fit more in..in the same amount of time they do theirs. My first real goal is to do one normal pushup. That's very easy to keep track of, lol. I'm doubtful and hopeful at the same time...
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about doing P90X lean. Is there much difference between the nutrition/eating plan for that and Insanity? I assume P90X focuses more on protein?
  • Spitfirex007
    Options

No I haven't. Every time he mentions marking stuff down, I think, maybe I should. I feel lazy in that regard. :P Besides, I just keep in my mind how many pushups I do while they do theirs. Eventually I'll get faster and be able to fit more in..in the same amount of time they do theirs. My first real goal is to do one normal pushup. That's very easy to keep track of, lol. I'm doubtful and hopeful at the same time...

Here is a video I created. It will show you where to get the workout sheets, and how to use them. Hopefully it helps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp7h7YvxISo
  • Spitfirex007
    Options
    I was thinking about doing P90X lean. Is there much difference between the nutrition/eating plan for that and Insanity? I assume P90X focuses more on protein?

There are three different phases in the P90X nutrition guide that you can follow depending on what you want to accomplish and how far along you are in your fitness. And yes, does focus a little more on more protein and less carbs (depending on which phase you follow). I like the meal ideas in Insanity guides, but i use the layout of the P90X "Fat Shredder" and "Energy Booster" phases
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you want out of your workout. I'd suggest P90X first, because IMO Insanity was just hard and P90X was hard, but got me more prepared. BUT.... I wanted to build strength and muscle and tone. Once I got there, which I didn't lose weight, but lost 3 sizes - I did Insanity. Insanity really pushed my endurance for running up. If you get Insanity - Get the Deluxe! My two favorite Insanity (well 3) are the Deluxe version that has Sports Interval, Insane Abs, and the Upper Body. If you get the Deluxe, with that Upper Body workout, it's more similar to P90X with at least "Some" weight training in it. And, insanity you don't need equipment w/o the deluxe, you need at least set of 3 each weights (IMO).
    You're comparing apples and oranges in my mind, Strength - P90X - Endurance Insanity.
  • deseablev
    Options
    Where can I find the insanity p90x hybrid worksheets? thanks!