Plantar fascitis/heel spurs..ouch!

Options
kel7298
kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
I had shots years ago and it alleviated the pain, but unfortunately, due to increased exercise, I must have aggregated it again. I have placed orthopedic devices in my shoes (which helps somewhat) and done everything (stretching, icing, pain relievers) the doctor said but it's not getting much better. I assume I am overworking it during my exercise.

That said, what kind of exercise can I do to get a good aerobic workout that doesn't involve my foot?

Replies

• timothyjkiser
    timothyjkiser Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Maybe a rowing maching that doesn't slide?
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    spinning? you use your feet, but not pounding. ellipitical is another option, depending on your pain level.
  • wolt98
    wolt98 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    swimming
  • kellicruz1978
    kellicruz1978 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Swimming?
  • smileback
    Options
    I had a doctor tell me to go home and get a golf ball and roll it back in forth. Put it in the center of bottom of your foot! Use my foot and roll it back and forth! It gently streches that muscle! It was the best cure in my life! I honestly could not walk ! A golf ball exercise!!!!!
    Hope this helps!
  • MOOOSEEE3
    MOOOSEEE3 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am currently experiencing the same thing, and have been since June. I stretch every day, and also first thing every morning, but I don;t let it inhibit what I can and cannot do. Yes I wake up in pain every day, but I still run, I still workout. I actually have a 10 mile race on Sunday. It doesn't bother me when I run or workout, it's always after the fact when I just try to walk on it. Have you gone to a podiatrist at all? Have you been fitted for shoes based upon how you run and your arch or lack of arch? Best of luck to you. I pray for the day I am "normal" again. Until then....
  • alicollins74
    alicollins74 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing and have for years. I have had the shots, have the orthotics, done everything you have done. I always thought that I couldn't exercise b/c of it...now maybe I am crazy but ever since I started exercising and lost 60 pounds, my foot doesn't bother me! I know for sure the calf muscle stretching is an absolute... Every once in awhile depending on what shoes I am wearing it will hurt a little but for the most part I am pain free. Plus I am no longer walking like an old wobbly person!! I can even wear high heels!!

I hear swimming is good...

Good luck. I hope you find your 'cure' b/c I know it is very painful...
  • Bankman1989
    Bankman1989 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues however I just workout thru the pain. It's hard to walk and run but mind over matter.

I use my mountain bike for burning cardio., I started riding 3 months ago. I will burn 2,000 a ride (20 miles). i ride 5-6 times a week now. It's not bad for your knees or feet.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I started having foot pain something different, but I switched doing elliptical, bike and arc machine (cross training kind of like elliptical) and I don't feel pain while exercising.
  • sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I like punching, swimming and the elliptical when I need to rest mine.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Read the book "Born to Run"... then go fix the problem :)
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the suggestions. Apparently I was narrow minded in my thinking!

***Definitely going to try the golf ball.