Why hello there

I just joined with the intention of living a healthier lifestyle. I'm a college student, so it's hard to eat well when you are stuck on a meal plan, and have to eat the food the college serves. But I've been doing well so far with eating better and hitting the gym 6 times a week for the last three. Hopefully things will continue to go well.

Replies

• Calmand1
    Calmand1 Posts: 6
    I just joined with the intention of living a healthier lifestyle. I'm a college student, so it's hard to eat well when you are stuck on a meal plan, and have to eat the food the college serves. But I've been doing well so far with eating better and hitting the gym 6 times a week for the last three. Hopefully things will continue to go well.
  • frogprincess007
    frogprincess007 Posts: 9 Member
    I completely understand living the college lifestyle. I actually liked having a meal plan because now that I'm not in the "traditional" setting of school, I don't have time to cook for myself and I actually ate better with that gross cafeteria food, lol!!! Good luck to you on your quest!
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    I'm a senior in high school and i'm kind of worried for next year about gaining the "freshman fifteen". I think it might be a little easier though, because right now my mom always buys snacks and stuff, and I tell her we don't need them but I end up eating them because they are delicious! But when I have my own dorm, if I don't have snacks around me, I won't eat them (out of sight, out of mind), because I don't usually buy snacks. I guess I just wonder what my best friend will do about snacking when we dorm together in college...
  • Calmand1
    I avoided the Freshman 15 due to the fact I was required to take a PE credit my freshman year which kept me from gaining weight. I actually lost some weight, which is also most likely due to their being less unhealthy food around for me to snack on and the PE class. I think a big reason freshman gain weight is that they tend to drink alcohol a lot more in college without thinking about how many calories they are consuming when they do so. Alcoholic drinks can be pretty high in calories, especially beer and those mixed with sodas and such.
  • iambrandice
    iambrandice Posts: 157 Member
    Well, I don't intend on drinking, so that's a lot of calories avoided right there! If I end up straying from this website over the summer or something, I will definitely be coming back when I get to college to make sure I'm not starting to be a lazy fatty!
  • frogprincess007
    frogprincess007 Posts: 9 Member
    I think a good way to lose instead of gain is to walk everywhere! I unfortunately didn't have a car when I first came to college, so I had to bum off of my friends. I did gain some weight my first year, but once I started walking everywhere and taking the stairs instead of the elevator, the weight came off so quickly! Don't ever deny yourself food either...that's the worst thing you can do, at least it was for me. I told myself I wasn't going to have any chocolate or cookies and that is all I wanted, lol!!!!
  • Calmand1
    Aha! I completely agree with that. I currently don't have my car here at school with me (home is 2.5 hours away) so I am forced to walk everywhere. I also live in the 4th floor of a building which is a lovely amount of stairs.
  • ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Congratulations on your choice to better your life!

Eat well, and track your calories, weigh yourself weekly (although I admit--I weigh daily! :embarassed: ) and measure, measure, MEASURE your body parts!

If you like to read inspiring blogs, take a look at mine :wink: located here at MFP (the address is in my signature).

Friend me, if you like. (click on "ladyofivy" just above my picture to the left, and then click on the green button that says "add as friend")

:smile: I am always here to listen and support! :flowerforyou:

~Amy~
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Hello and welcome MFP, the greatest website ever. You will love it here. I do. I find this site so helpful, supportive, motivational, and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this. :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: