starving at 1200 calories

Options
Hello. I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for 6 weeks now (but started here a few weeks ago to help track) and I have lost the same 3 pounds. My doctor seems to think that due to genetics (my entire family is obeses except my dad) are playing a role and that my bodyis comfortable at my current weight (about 15 pounds higher than it has ever been and I am not happy). All blood work and tests are normal, no thyroid problems etc. I work out 5-6 days a week, do not eat my excercise calories and I am confused because I have always been told calories in calories out and you lose. My Dr is now saying that 1200 calories does not mean a thing if you are nto eating the rigth calories and she thinks my body is in starvation mode...anythoughts? And any resources on where to find the "right" 1200 calorie diet? I am 35 and had my last baby 18 months ago...hormones are now normal (no longer nursing)...

Replies

• xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough...try the 1400-1600 fluxuation of calories. Be sure to get plenty of protien, and by all means, eat! You need to feed the muscle.
  • Silvercivic
    Silvercivic Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    eat your exercise calories.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    eat your exercise calories.

^This
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    cant see your diary..but DONT DRINK YOUR CALORIES
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Gym instructor told me that when ur working out you should be on at least 1500cals.
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Eat more than 1200 calories a day, eat a mix of fruits, veggies, complex carbs, and lean protein, and eat your exercise calories.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough...try the 1400-1600 fluxuation of calories. Be sure to get plenty of protien, and by all means, eat! You need to feed the muscle.

THIS!! not everyone is the same and not everyone can lose weight effectively at 1200...i can't...ive upped mine to 1560 and im losing now...and let' shope it stays this way :)

ps. i eat back at least half my exercise calories.
  • CatMauro
    CatMauro Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with the above posters...1200 cals is likely not enough for you. Use the numbers that MFP suggests (maybe add more protein since you work out alot) and you should do better.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    That's 1,200 NET, correct. After logging your workouts you're taking in MORE than 1,200 is that right?

I got to my goal with 1,260/day. I was never hungry because I was eating every 2-3 hours and eating a lot of healthy whole foods. Food that is not processed helps keep you fuller longer. Also, I was taking in 300-500 more calories per day than the 1,200 but I was on average meeting that 1260 NET.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    Here is my opinion - Set yourself a calorie range rather than an exact number. So instead of 1200 set a range say between 1200-1500. Never go below and try not to go over that range. Gives you more flexibility. Also, try updating your nutrient balance to 40 carb - 30 protein - 30 Fat...the carb level on MFP is really a high % (IMO) and you probably need more protein. The 40/30/30 ratio is a good one to start with and then adjust as needed.

As far a exercise calories, I say eat some but not all. Include it in your calorie intake "range".

Keep it up!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Gym instructor told me that when ur working out you should be on at least 1500cals.

That does not work for everyone. I'm at my goal weight and I'm 5'6" (135-136 lbs). My maintenance cals to stay this weight are 1660, my goal when losing was 1,260 NET.

However, on days I worked out I was taking in 300-500 cals more than the 1260. That was my NET but if you mean 1500 NET that would not have made sense for me because that's only 160 below my maintenance cals. Every person is different.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hello. I have been on a 1200 calorie diet for 6 weeks now (but started here a few weeks ago to help track) and I have lost the same 3 pounds. My doctor seems to think that due to genetics (my entire family is obeses except my dad) are playing a role and that my bodyis comfortable at my current weight (about 15 pounds higher than it has ever been and I am not happy). All blood work and tests are normal, no thyroid problems etc. I work out 5-6 days a week, do not eat my excercise calories and I am confused because I have always been told calories in calories out and you lose. My Dr is now saying that 1200 calories does not mean a thing if you are nto eating the rigth calories and she thinks my body is in starvation mode...anythoughts? And any resources on where to find the "right" 1200 calorie diet? I am 35 and had my last baby 18 months ago...hormones are now normal (no longer nursing)...

Eat your exercise calories back because a SEDENTARY person needs 1200 calories - an ACTIVE person needs more. You want to (I assume) lose fat ..... but keep your existing muscle. With only 1200 calories ..... your body is going to burn whatever it available (including muscle).

The "right" calories your doctor is talking about ...... protien, complex carbs, and good fats. Stay away from processed foods with all the simple carbs and bad fats. Make all your calories count and you should not be starving.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    cant see your diary..but DONT DRINK YOUR CALORIES

Love your profile pic! Lol
  • Charloo1990
    Charloo1990 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Well yeh true. Don;t think i thought that out properly before i posted lol cause i think rly the gym instructor was probs basing it on me.
  • sixpacking
    sixpacking Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    make your dairy visible, then we can accurately *kitten* what your nutrients are. My baby is 21 months, and I was 180 lbs after giving birth (c-section and breastfeed too), by July 2010 I was 135lbs. It comes down to nutrients type and not overestimating your fodd and exercise.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Eat your exercise calories back because a SEDENTARY person needs 1200 calories - an ACTIVE person needs more. You want to (I assume) lose fat ..... but keep your existing muscle. With only 1200 calories ..... your body is going to burn whatever it available (including muscle).

And if you have a desk job or any type of job other than something active you are, indeed, sedentary. I workout nearly every day or do something active. I'm at a desk 40 hours/week and that makes me sedentary despite being active outside of work.
  • yager8725
    yager8725 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    i have heard of alot of people having this problem!!! up your cals for a couple of weeks. keep close track and see what happens. i agree try 1400-1600. within 2 weeks you should see a difference if that is the case
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If you've been at that level for 6 weeks and you're still hungry I would take that as a sign you aren't eating enough. You've had plenty of time to adjust!
  • lisasdoinit
    lisasdoinit Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    i'm 42 years old, 5'2 and weigh 220 lbs.

I lost 27 lbs -and gained back 23 when i stopped doing this:

1. 1500 calories a day
    2. no pop, not even diet
    3. took the sugar out of my coffee, then the cream was skim milk and now its just green tea in the morning.
    4. 5-6 SERVINGS of fruits and veggies a day
    5. 3 litres of water a day
    6. 3 servings (4-6oz) of lean protein a day.
    7. no more boxed frozen crap. it's real or no deal.
    8. the usual - no white stuff - rice, pasta, bread are at a minimum (1-2 servings a day ) and are ALWAYS whole wheat/brown etc.
    9. moved my *kitten*.
    10. stopped mentally beating the crap out of myself.

Hope this helps you !!
  • stukawife
    stukawife Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Be sure that you are actually eating what you are listing. DO NOT estimate what one cup or one easpoon is. Do it right and you will loose guaranteed. Most likely you are not accurately reporting what you are eating.