Options
mommared53
mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
310611_2519205905876_1425126179_2882427_355202765_n.jpg

Replies

• FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    yeah because my parent dragging me to church every week and doing all those others things sure kept me off drugs:laugh:
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    very very true! had to get my old folks glasses on to see it . I'd like to see this typed as I want to send it to my parents. They could never see it this small even with reading glasses.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    so true, and so sad!!! :(
  • micahnelson
    micahnelson Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This map shows the pervasiveness of methamphetamine use.
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/meth/map/

This map shows the pervasiveness of church attendance.
    http://religions.pewforum.org/maps

The data doesn't seem to support the premise that being drug to church keeps you off of methamphetamines. I'm sure this will prevent the dissemination of this information.
  • ♥Faerie♥
    ♥Faerie♥ Posts: 14,053 Member
    Options
    Soooo.....what if the said church you were drug too was the church you were also molested in....by a priest..... which in turn causes you to use drugs, to block out the awful experience?

I am just saying, mostly, its life experiences that cause most to turn to drugs, as an outlet......things can happen to you, no matter if you go to church or not.....that cause you to try and block out the pain, some turn to drugs, some don't...and some....well, some people just like drugs....I think church has absolutely nothing to do with a personal choice....
    The other things mentioned, well, maybe if parents would not get social services called on them for washing kids mouths out with soap and such now...those things might still work.....but its a different world now....
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Soooo.....what if the said church you were drug too was the church you were also molested in....by a priest..... which in turn causes you to use drugs, to block out the awful experience?

I am just saying, mostly, its life experiences that cause most to turn to drugs, as an outlet......things can happen to you, no matter if you go to church or not.....that cause you to try and block out the pain, some turn to drugs, some don't...and some....well, some people just like drugs....I think church has absolutely nothing to do with a personal choice....

Thanks Fae for having the guts to say it.....likely noone else would
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    So agree and same thing applies being drug to neighbor's, friend's and family's homes they are all not so nice sometimes to childeren either.

The other things mentioned, well, maybe if parents would not get social services called on them for washing kids mouths out with soap and such now...those things might still work.....but its a different world now....
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

I second this.

Also, those people never met a PK, I'm a PK, half the other PKs I know have done or do drugs, and I promise we were at church whenever the doors were open. Church isn't an anti-drug.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    faerie well put. I think the point of the newspaper clipping was to show that nobody can force you into making choices. Whether you are put in a private school or your parents/guardians try to control you, it won't work.

Ultimately we are responsible for what we do with what we've been given.

I was raised in a religious family and that didn't bring me any closer to making good choices, in fact, it drove me away from everything my parents deemed "healthy".

Feeding my kids healthy things and cramming veggies down their throat won't make them grow up to be strong, healthy invididuals; they might just find that McDonalds tastes wayyy better than my barley and split pea soup, and that's their choice.

I agree with OP that we can't control others; we can control ourselves only. And then not even 100% of the time, it seems
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    So maybe instead of looking at the church aspect, maybe the article is saying if you instill beliefs and ethics in your kids it would be different. I too was drug to church, forced to go to church camp... bleh bleh bleh.... I too experimented with recreational drugs... still do occasionally...... I escaped my folks first chance I got and won't ever live closer then 3 hours away.

However, my parents (and family) instilled in me a set of work ethics that have never failed me by disciplining me (which doesn't necessarily have to deal with spanking or whatever). I know how to change my oil...or at least have the ability to know if the mechanic is bsing me when I need it fixed, I can mow my own yard, wash dishes... all that... I now have a job where I bust my tail daily so that if I choose to have someone else mow my lawn (ok so i no longer have a lawn since I live in the desert, but thats beside the point) I can so that I don't have to.

So instead of jumping on the religious aspect maybe look a little deeper
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    drugs have been abused since we've had opposable thumbs. ppl like escaping, and mind-altering substances seem like an easy answer. to say that drugs are a new thing is rediculous.

and i'm not touching the church aspect of this as that is total bunk too.
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    **like***
  • rore1
    rore1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options

Thanks Fae for having the guts to say it.....likely noone else would

you guys are the best!! my GF and her 2 brothers were molested by their priest . In the church that their dad dragged them too. Her dad,a psychologist,said they were lying. Her brother to this day is still addicted tot he drug he uses to numb himself from the pain. She got a breast reduction (she didn't need it) and the doc butchered her. I could go on but I won't. It is up to parents to be there for their kids and raise them properly in this insane world....watch intervention,explains well why kids turn into adults that turn to drugs.
  • rore1
    rore1 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    So maybe instead of looking at the church aspect, maybe the article is saying if you instill beliefs and ethics in your kids it would be different. I too was drug to church, forced to go to church camp... bleh bleh bleh.... I too experimented with recreational drugs... still do occasionally...... I escaped my folks first chance I got and won't ever live closer then 3 hours away.

However, my parents (and family) instilled in me a set of work ethics that have never failed me by disciplining me (which doesn't necessarily have to deal with spanking or whatever). I know how to change my oil...or at least have the ability to know if the mechanic is bsing me when I need it fixed, I can mow my own yard, wash dishes... all that... I now have a job where I bust my tail daily so that if I choose to have someone else mow my lawn (ok so i no longer have a lawn since I live in the desert, but thats beside the point) I can so that I don't have to.

So instead of jumping on the religious aspect maybe look a little deeper

BEAUTIFUL!!!! VERY well said!!!! thank you!
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Love how people will pull out what they want from the article and use it to attack religion. Last time I checked, we weren't even allowed to discuss that here. Since the thread is not locked yet, I'll only say that the greatest gift my parents gave me was my faith in God. I don't remember being dragged to church, but if that happened, I'm thankful. Not everyone has horrible stories of Catholic churches and priests. I'm saddened for those who have been molested by anyone, and I hurt for people addicted to drugs.

I get the point of the article. Some kids do not have the work ethic, discipline, or respect for authority any more. With that, I agree.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    The article sounds so much like my mom when I was growing up. Except being drug to church. Mom didn't have to drag me to church. I loved going to church. There were plenty of years in my life where I turned away from a lot of the values my mom instilled in me but the older I get the more I return to those values. They've always been with me. I'm proud to say I've never used illegal drugs, I'm not including alcohol although I've only been drunk twice in my life. And I drug my kids to church and instilled the same values in them. And now that they are adults I can see a lot of the same values have stuck. :happy:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    310611_2519205905876_1425126179_2882427_35202765_n.jpg

The first thing I would like to point out is the incorrect grammar used by the author of that newspaper clipping. They should have said things like "I was dragged to church" not "I was drug to church"

The second thing is that I have to agree wholeheartedly with what a lot of people have said. Just because a person is forced to going to church every week does not automatically guarantee that they will grow up to be a decent adult.

Having proper values installed in them by their parents when they are young is what makes an adult a good person. Some of the worst criminals are regular church goers. One of the most decent, helpful, caring persons that I know has never set foot inside a church once in their life.

I will climb down off this now ---> 6.gif
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options

The first thing I would like to point out is the incorrect grammar used by the author of that newspaper clipping. They should have said things like "I was dragged to church" not "I was drug to church"

The second thing is that I have to agree wholeheartedly with what a lot of people have said. Just because a person is forced to going to church every week does not automatically guarantee that they will grow up to be a decent adult.

Having proper values installed in them by their parents when they are young is what makes an adult a good person. Some of the worst criminals are regular church goers. One of the most decent, helpful, caring persons that I know has never set foot inside a church once in their life.

I doubt the author of this article was clueless to "drugged vs dragged". The wording was used to make a point.

Why so hung up on the religious part in the article? I don't remember seeing anyone say that those who got 'drugged' to church are better people.
  • Froggy1976
    Options
    Love how people will pull out what they want from the article and use it to attack religion. Last time I checked, we weren't even allowed to discuss that here. Since the thread is not locked yet, I'll only say that the greatest gift my parents gave me was my faith in God. I don't remember being dragged to church, but if that happened, I'm thankful. Not everyone has horrible stories of Catholic churches and priests. I'm saddened for those who have been molested by anyone, and I hurt for people addicted to drugs.

I get the point of the article. Some kids do not have the work ethic, discipline, or respect for authority any more. With that, I agree.
    I agree that the article was not just about church. They were drug to other peoples houses to help out, drug to the kitchen sink to do the dishes. Instilling values, that's what it is about.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

I doubt the author of this article was clueless to "drugged vs dragged". The wording was used to make a point.

Why so hung up on the religious part in the article? I don't remember seeing anyone say that those who got 'drugged' to church are better people.

Well the overall theme of the article appears to claim that because they were dragged to church every week when they were young makes them a better person. The first reference that the author of it uses is "I was drug to church".

I'm trying to highlight the point that the religious reference in that article was irrelevant to the overall context of it. (The overall context of it being that if proper ethical and moral values are thought to a child they will grow up to be a decent person without having any religion in their life).

By commencing the article with "I was drug to church", straight away it will put a lot of people on the defensive and lead to an argument.
This discussion has been closed.