Indian Chicken Curry(my version)

Options
dumb_blondes_rock
dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
Ok, im not sure the nutritional valiue of this, but its sooo dlecious, and my friends have been asking for the recipe so i decided i would post.

4 chicken breasts(or two big ones), cubed and put into 8-16 oz plain yogurt(marinade for 30 mins)
half white onion, or medium onion of your choice color(white is sweeter to me), diced
1 steak tomato, or a few romas, diced
3 cloves garlic
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1tsp ground ginger
2 tsp garam masala
2 tsp sugar
3 tbs curry powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp cumin powder1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbs corrieander powder
1/2 tsp tumeric
1 tsp chili powder
1 bayleaf
cilantro(however much you like)
1 can coconut milk
4 potatos, diced
salt to taste(i used about a tablespoon)

In a large pot, saute onions and tomatoes together in oil(i used olive, but any oil will do) until onions are translucent....kind of squick down the tomatoes also...add garlic, cook for another 2 mins or so.....add spices(i usually put all the spices in one container, and add all at once). add chicken and potatoes, and make sure they all get the seasonings all over them.....add about 8 0z water and scrape the bottom of the pan(the spices stick to the bottom)add enough water to cover the top of the chicken and potatoes, and bring to a boil.When the water has boiled i add the chopped cilantro, cover and simmer for 15-20 mins. When potatoes are tender, add can of coconut milk and simmer for another 15 mins or so. Serve over rice(basmati is the traditional indian rice, but all i had was jasmine, which tasted jsut as good)

Enjoy!

Also, if you can't handle spicey foods, cut the cayenne pepper in half, and ommit the chili powder.

PS i am not indian, so please don't be harsh over my "honkey" version. I have seen indians cook, and i have even helped out....this was jsut my interpretation of the curry. If you dont' have some of the ingredients you can try making the recipe your own. I got most the spices at food maxx, but any asian market stores will have the spices needed also if your local supermarket doesn't.

Replies

• drkjedi
    drkjedi Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Mmmm....I add a can of chick peas and sliced red pepper to my chicken curry....great recipe!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    PS i am not indian, so please don't be harsh over my "honkey" version. I have seen indians cook, and i have even helped out....this was jsut my interpretation of the curry.

I'm not Indian either, but I have lived there in the past and cook Indian food often. Yours looks great! The only spices on your list I don't use in Indian cooking are curry powder, chili powder (because I just use ground cumin or cumin seeds) and paprika.

Now I want your curry! Mmmm.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    bump :) sounds great!
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Yeah i used cumin powder, because i don't even buy the seeds.....but everyone can put their own twist to recipes, there might even be some spices that are "indian" and i didn't use them......but i am such a fan of indian food, but was always too scared to try to cook it until now. I love watching that show Spice Goddess too
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,005 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Bump! I do love curry!!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Omnomnom. I love curry. Gonna have to try this some time soon! I'm not much of a chef, but it's a learning process... lol. Any estimates on the nutritional for this meal?
  • ivy512
    ivy512 Posts: 5
    Options
    save
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Bump. Sounds yummy! I love this kind of cuisine, but have always been afraid and unsure to try it. I think I will start here! Thanks!
    :)
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    Oh I love you. I am salivating. Can't wait to try this!
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    thank you thank you thank you for posting this! I was going to ask the community for a good curry recipe!
  • meuy43
    meuy43 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump - can't wait to try!!
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Ooooh! I also have a good recipe for a curry (pretty authentic, seeing as I learned from a Bangladeshi family and yes, they used the mix too.)
    I use a Shan spice kit for chicken tikka masala that is pretty close to perfect (if anyone could tell me the spices in there, that would be awesome since I rely on that mix). If you get it at an ethnic food store, the Shan spices are a couple of bucks.

You marinate cubed chicken breasts in the spices and yogurt for a couple of hours, then throw half a stick of butter in a pan and sautee an onion and a couple of tomatoes, add some grated ginger, cook the chicken with some whole serano peppers in the onions and tomatoes, then finally add sugar.

It comes out to be about 250 calories per serving, but that doesn't include rice or naan.
  • yeahthatpaula
    yeahthatpaula Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I must try this, it sounds amazing!
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I tried this recipe. I didn't have garam marsala or corriander and I subbed a head of cauliflower for the potatoes. It was amazing!! A great recipe and the chicken was super tender. I also added some saffron just for fun!
  • baypathgradLyns
    baypathgradLyns Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    bump for later :)