Where to start at the gym...

Options
I know there might be another post about this somewhere...

I am going to start weight training while at the gym, usually i just do fat burning/ cardio stuff. However, i would like to start incorporating some strength training, just wondering if anyone had a few tips on where to start. Thanks ahead of time!

Replies

• Indy_Mario
    Options
    bump
  • fridayjustleft04
    fridayjustleft04 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    I've never actually been to a gym, but one of my favorite things to do is weighted squats. Just pick up some dumbells of whatever size (although since squats are lower body, you can go heavier than you may realize) and squat, making sure your weight is on your heels. Since the quads/glutes are the biggest muscles, they burn the most fat, which is why I like them so much. Same thing with weighted lunges.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    Check out Men's Fitness online - that may help you find a good place to start and work from there.
  • CarolineSuzanneSmith
    Options
    Does your gym offer a Body Pump class? TRY IT! The instructor will help you figure out which weights you need, etc... The class is great...and when it's done, you have some new ideas for what you can do on your own!
  • Craig_hyde
    Craig_hyde Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have a set of dumbbells at home and I find that some simple exercises with those, not the heaviest weight, but one you are comfortable with and just do more reps. Set yourself a minimum target and try to break it. For bicep curls, my minimum is 20 reps per arm, and after 2 weeks I'm comfortable with 50 reps each arm (I may just increase my minimum now I've re-read that)

Hope it helps, and good luck.

Craig
  • bprague
    bprague Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    where to start?! Everywhere!

I would say free weights are the best workout because they force balance and equal strength. I would actually ask a trainer to help you figure out what to do. You'll need to get form advice and be introduced to the machines. It will make you feel more comfortable. However, you can also check out this site : http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/strengthening/free_weights.php

which should give you some ideas!

I love lifting! I hope you also find it fun!
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    You're about my size, have you ever lifted before?

I would strongly recommend Stronglifts 5x5 (google it). I quite like that program, just make sure you start light, are religous about tracking your progress, and are VERY careful with your form. Squats can be dangerous if done incorrectly, but are the best weight lifting exercise around.

If you have specific questions feel free to shoot me a PM, I love talking lifting.
  • introvert
    introvert Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When in doubt stick with the basics:
    * Squats
    * Leg press
    * Bench press
    * Curls

If you're just starting, keep enough weight on to stay safe while still able to achieve close to failure at rep # 10. The main thing you want to focus on in the beginning is developing proper form and staying injury free. Once you're confident of both of those you can start adding variations. If you've felt you're at a plateau mix it up with weight, higher/lower reps and sets. Good luck!
  • kyylieeeeee
    kyylieeeeee Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Read online about men's lifting (as a start), watch some Youtube videos for demonstrations. Watch what other people in the gym are doing, just to get ideas.

My biggest recommendation is to get a personal trainer for a few sessions, if you can fit it into your budget. I did this, and though it was a lot of money at the time, I spaced my sessions out over 3 months and learned SO much. It was worth every penny. If you're a new member at the gym, they might offer promotions on training or even a free session or two. When I started at my gym, I got two hours of training sessions for free!
  • Runninginafatsuit
    Runninginafatsuit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Does your gym have complimentary personal training? They can give you a routine, take you around and show you how to perform each exercise. Also, if you don't have that available to you, you can check out this website. It has a ton of exercises, including what muscles they target and a mini clip on how to correctly do them.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Deadlift
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/

this has a lot of great info and its free. for beginners its starts with 3 lifting days a week. ive been doing it since June and my strength has gone up significantly.

read as much as you can on that site but focus on the beginner stuff for now. if you are not sure about an exercise search youtube for how to do it.

initially it seemed like i wasnt doing enough but it didnt take long to see my strength increase and to see a physical change.
  • fitnesscook
    Options
    Hire a personal trainer!!! I work out at a gym & even if I get bored w/ my routine I hire a trainer just to change it up!
    It is well worth every penny!! You will learn so much from your trainer! They are trained to motivate you & you will work harder than ever!!! Plus.... you will see results much quicker by incorporating weights!!! Good Luck!! Keep up the good work!! :smile:
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    You're gonna be very sore and in a lot of pain after your first workouts. Don't let it discourage you. If you're like myself and a lot of other people I know, you will come to look forward to that pain when you can get it. I miss it now as I don't get it alot anymore.
  • Terk1968
    Terk1968 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Start with the machines. They will force you to have good form. They usually have some type of instructions posted as to what muscle the machine works. Find machines that work the major muscles: chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, quadriceps, hamstrings and calves. Do 3 sets of 10 on each but only do three or four each work out and don’t work the same muscles on consecutive days they need time to repair. Don’t push it too hard to start. Watch other people and ask questions. Most everyone is more than willing to lend some advice. Read Men’s Health or Muscle and Fitness. You’ll catch on.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    When in doubt stick with the basics:
    * Squats
    * Deadlift
    * Rows
    * Bench press
    * Overhead Press

If you're just starting, keep enough weight on to stay safe while still able to achieve close to failure at rep # 10. The main thing you want to focus on in the beginning is developing proper form and staying injury free. Once you're confident of both of those you can start adding variations. If you've felt you're at a plateau mix it up with weight, higher/lower reps and sets. Good luck!

***My opinion of course, but fixed =)
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Dead Lifts
    Dumbell Shoulder Press
    Barbell Bench Press
    Bent Barbell Rows
    Chinups / Lat Pull Down

These are the most basic Compound movements. They are the best muscle builders and fat burners depending on your rest periods inbetween sets. You can never go wrong with these. Maybe split them into two seperate exercise days and try one day on, followed by one day off. (repeat) fit in some cardio of your choice and you can't lose. STAY OFF ISOLATION MACHINES!
  • poupounne
    Options
    Does your gym have complimentary personal training? They can give you a routine, take you around and show you how to perform each exercise. Also, if you don't have that available to you, you can check out this website. It has a ton of exercises, including what muscles they target and a mini clip on how to correctly do them.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

This is what I was going to say. Both of the gyms I have been to have people that can take you on a tour of the different machines to get you started.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Squats
    Dead Lifts
    Dumbell Shoulder Press
    Barbell Bench Press
    Bent Barbell Rows
    Chinups / Lat Pull Down

These are the most basic Compound movements. They are the best muscle builders and fat burners depending on your rest periods inbetween sets. You can never go wrong with these. Maybe split them into two seperate exercise days and try one day on, followed by one day off. (repeat) fit in some cardio of your choice and you can't lose. STAY OFF ISOLATION MACHINES!

the link i posted above uses most of these and sets you up with a nice 3 day/week plan so you dont have to think too much at first. as you go along and as you learn more you can start to tweak if needed.

and i too agree with staying AWAY from those machines. the do not teach you good form. they do no let you go through a normal movement.