Are you a runner? or want to be?

Options

Replies

• Teeladog
    Teeladog Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I have to say that I really don't like running but I do feel great after a run. Having said that, I just ran my first 10k two weeks ago (have have run a few 5ks in the past) and then came home and signed up for a half marathon in Myrtle Beach in late February. I am starting Hal Higdon's 12 week half marathon training program on Monday (I have worked out the this week but took a break from running to fully recover from my 10k). I fully expect to be very, very slow but I should finish it. I hear the Myrtle Beach course is flat as a pancake so that is a bonus :-).

Feel free to add me as a friend. I am a great encourager!
  • mrsmellymac
    mrsmellymac Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    *bump*

I'm training for a 5k next month! I'll read more what you guys have to say later =)
  • faithog
    faithog Posts: 76
    Options
    I am running a Half Marathon in December! Feel free to add me! I'd love to have/ give support on running =)
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    More of a plodder than a runner here
    I would consider myself a "Slogger" = a slow jogger lol
  • AliceIsRunning
    AliceIsRunning Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your goal for a 1/2 marathon! I'm a runner, not a very good runner, I'm very slow, but I still enjoy it. I've run several 5k, two 1/2 marathons & one marathon. I really enjoy running the 1/2 marathon. Which 1/2 M will you be running?
    I'll be running the Tinkerbell Half-Marathon at Disneyland in January 2012. I can't wait!! (Actually, I can wait - I have alot of training to do LOL)
  • glowlady
    glowlady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yo go!! Running is such a fantastic way to lose some major lbs! I'm inspired by your post and am going to look for some races in my area!
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5K this summer....i'm still at the interval stage but over the winter i need to train to run 12 miles. I signed up to do the Tough Mudder in June... I'm both terrified & motivated!

Looking for motivated runners & friends to help support me on my journey!!
  • sammy3303
    Options
    EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • sammy3303
    Options
    WOW good luck that's great!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mpcass
    mpcass Posts: 86
    Options
    Just got back into running. I was in track and cross country when I was in high school, but got super lazy. I just ran/walked a 5K on the treadmill at my gym, my time was 43:13, I want to do a real 5K eventually. Would like a friend to keep me on track(forgive the pun)
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I LOVE running! Feel free to add me :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    try posting on exercise and fitness. lots of runners there. :-)
  • mags2504
    mags2504 Posts: 275
    Options
    i need all the motivation I can get for running. I can do 5k on treadmill but sruggle with road running. Request sent
  • nifty291
    Options
    I would love to be a runner! I just started my weight loss journey. My starting weight on Oct. 12th was 190 pounds and today I am at 186 pounds. My goal is 140 lbs. I am hoping to be at 180 pounds by Thanksgiving and 175 by Christmas. I wanted to tell you that you are awesome for doing the marathon and I'm behink you all the way! You can do this :O)

Gina :happy:
  • stubsy1968
    stubsy1968 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have recently started running but only once a week at this stage due to other gym classes and bike riding there just isn't enough time in my week. I only just now got back from a 5km run with hubby (27 min 56 sec) which isn't bad for my 3rd attempt at a 5km run!

I struggle big time mentally as I keep telling myself how much I hate running. Physically I can do the distance but find it really hard mentally. I run with my iPod and have set up a running playlist to help keep me motivated which does help a little but still those negativ thoughts creep in. Any suggestions appreciated.

Great idea re: a run club. Also if you have an iPhone use the "RunKeper" app as it will track your distance and time and has audio cueues which are fab. You can use it for all types of activities, not just running.

Feel free to add me and good luck!

Kathy
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I started running in December with C25K and have done a handful of 5ks and a 10k. I'd love to be *able* to run a half, but I don't think I have the mental focus to run that long. Maybe, someday, but for now I'm happy with doing short races.

I'm like Gimli in LotR, "I'm wasted on cross-country! We dwarves are natural sprinters! Very dangerous over short distances!"
  • myleanne1990
    Options
    Hi,

I guess I can officially call myself a "runner" now; I've never thought of myself that way. I have always been a "fat-skinny" but absolutely never athletic. 4-1/2 years ago, after my husband completed a 1/2 he said "you couldn't do it"...that lit a fire under my *kitten*. I started training and signed up for a 1/2 he was doing without him knowing...yep I finished it! Slow, but did it!!

Now, I am addicted, I just completed Nike SF and have a total of 7 more planned before February. I did Disneyland; finishing in 1:38...

So....truly, if I can do it...anyone can.

Good luck and have fun!
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I've started running. I'm doing my first 5K tomorrow and my first half marathon in May! Anyone feel free to add me, I love getting and giving support to like minded folks.
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    I am a runner.
    I have not ran any type of races yet but I am looking at a 5K next month. I usually run about 3 miles after circuit training; 5 miles if I am just doing cardio that day and on Saturdays I bust out about 8 miles.

I started running when I was 27, couldn't run to the end of the block back then. :drinker:
  • mmocarr
    mmocarr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was training for the Detroit Free Press Half this past Oct. but the race sold out :(

I was super bummed because I had gotten up to 12 miles but have brought my miles back down to one 5-7 mile run a week.

I do wan to run another half probably not till the spring though, I am currently studying for the GRE.

Good luck with your running, especially your run this weekend. I feel like I got into my grove after 7 miles :)

ps Friended you

Talk to you soon
    Meagan