What do you do when you have a lot of exercise calories left

Options
Amy_B
Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
I know you're supposed to eat your exercise calories. Today, after I plotted my three meals and 2 snacks, I'll have 400 "remaining" calories since I'll have a big workout today. What would you do with them? I feel like I should be healthy, but the first thing that pops into my head is a big ice cream treat. Plus, if I do something like that, I won't eat 1 snack I already had planned.

I marked that I'd like to lose a pound/week, but I've actually been losing more.

Replies

• Amy_B
    Options
    I know you're supposed to eat your exercise calories. Today, after I plotted my three meals and 2 snacks, I'll have 400 "remaining" calories since I'll have a big workout today. What would you do with them? I feel like I should be healthy, but the first thing that pops into my head is a big ice cream treat. Plus, if I do something like that, I won't eat 1 snack I already had planned.

I marked that I'd like to lose a pound/week, but I've actually been losing more.
  • BOOPIS67
    BOOPIS67 Posts: 19
    Options
    I try to eat my calories because when I log in to the "MY HOME" summary page it will tell you if you are eating too few calories. I normally have to eat between 1500-1700 calories a day to get the proper amount of calories.
  • aprilvet
    aprilvet Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    For most days like that, I would add something healthy- like some extra peanut butter with a snack, etc. However, I do occasionally "store up" these extra calories for a treat!!:happy:
  • clmhgriz
    clmhgriz Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I love ice cream . . . it's probably my real weakness. I've found that when I fill my "extra" calories in with the ice cream treat, that I go over my goal fat amount. I think that's probably not a good thing! :angry: :wink: Anyway, another option is a dessert from Skinny Cow. Some of them are satisfying.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    If I have a ton of left over calories like that I would probably have a yummy treat. However, I doubt you need to use all 400 on ice cream....that sounds like ice cream plus whipped topping and chocolate sauce, etc. Or it sounds like REALLY bad for you ice cream. There are a lot of ice creams out there for about 130 -200 calories....try skinny cow products, they are so yummy. Then you could use the rest on healthy stuff.

If you're not hungry, you can get your calories in with a few tablespoons of peanut butter and a tall glass of milk. 400 can definitely be a lot of calories sometimes, but on the other hand, you can easily find plenty of good for you foods that will use them up quickly.
  • Amy_B
    Options
    We do have some Skinny Cow, which I love. My post originally said 700 calories, but then I decided I could have more dinner to help with that. I think I'll add some raisins to my breakfast cereal and maybe store the rest. That would only be about 200 calories left. Yesterday, I came really close to eating all my calories, and I stayed the same on the scale. Thanks for the input!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    there's nothing wrong with having ice cream on occaision just don't do it everyday. It's especially ok if you already had a healthy day with your eating and are planning to treat yourself to a pre-measured portion to replace your exercise cals. I am SO not a fan of skinny cow, go for the real stuff it's much more fulfilling :laugh:
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you've done well...had a good day so why take a step backwards with ice cream? ice cream is ok for special occasions like birthdays and such but as a rule, until you are at your goal weight, ice cream is a luxury and should be treated as such...not as a way to fill calories..

while still progressing towards your goal weight, why not use the extra calories for something your body can actually use to fuel it.....almonds,,,,,cheese.....avacado.......pumpkin seeds....get a protein in with your extra cals...not just sugar and fat....how's that:smile:
  • Amy_B
    Options
    You're definitely right about filling those extra calories with something crappy like ice cream. I knew you'd all have good ideas. Thanks!
  • kendallalissa
    Options
    Dave, you are a genius and so right. Although, I've got the same problem today. After my workout I'll have around 500 cals that will go unused. I have been craving custard at Sheridan's for over a month now and I am thinking a mini custard date night with the hubby is just what the doctor ordered!
  • Petunia_K
    Petunia_K Posts: 35
    Options
    Great advice Dave. Also, if I'm not hungry but I have a couple extra hundred calories left, I tend to leave them because it evens out in the end most weeks. Best advice is like Dave said, use this time to build healthy habits for the future and to help you continue to feel good and reinforce all the hard work you've put in. :flowerforyou: