In desperate need of help and support

Options
Hi everyone, I am new to my fitness pal. I joined because of a friend, in which we both struggle and have for years on yoyo diets, we lose a bunch and then gain it back, so on and so forth. In the last year my health has done a nosedive and I was diagnosed with this weird type of arthritis and some deficiencies, that basically laid me out for a while. I am now trying to get up and move more, and its hard because of my weight. I don't want to do the surgery thing cuz I am terrified of it but I need to drop a drastic amount of weight and fast! I bought cases of slimfast, because it worked in the past for me, thought I would try it again. But the thing is getting started, Its so hard when people around me constantly eat the wrong things! I plan to start this thing all over again tomorrow, but I need to learn to hold myself accountable for the things I eat. Im an emotional eater, so when I am stressed or upset, I eat. And I find myself there quite a bit, so anyone in my same situation, I could use the support and I will do my best to support you too. Good luck to all, and I hope I can make a good support system here for myself.

Replies

• MZMIRACLE
    Options
    You can do it..this is a good app and we are all here to motivate each other..You will be in my prayers
  • lumberjacks94
    lumberjacks94 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    To me this is the best place online for this kind of help and support. It has changed the lives of many! You will love it! Don't fear using it!! It's the website that is the best for your life, I promise!
  • SailingMike
    SailingMike Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen,

I am not in the same situation as you, but a lot of folks here have been there. Click on "Community" then "Find Members" and look for folks that have made your journey.

I would caution you against trying to loose weight "fast". You really need to change your mind set to becoming HEALTHY, when you do, the weight will come off. Forget the fad diets, throw out the junk food and get serious about your health. YOU CAN do it, because you are a daughter of God.

Some things I have learned...
    1. In the first weeks of starting exercise program most folks gain weight because a cubic inch of muscle weighs more than a cubic inch fat. SO don't just weigh yourself... MEASURE to see what your body is really doing.
    2. NEVER eat less than about 125O calories... OR try to loose too much too fast. Your body goes into starvation mode and retains fat.
    3. It took YEARS to put on the weight... eat HEALTHY (food pyramid) exercise regularly... and slowly it will come off.
    4. Also, SLOW weight loss is most likely to stay off long term.
    5. DON"T "diet"... just learn to eat properly and exercise regularly. Make your goal "good health."
    6. Eat back at least SOME of your exercise calories. This motivates me to exercise more!
    7. Don't deprive yourself. Learn to have just ONE bite of that cake. Total deprivation may lead to fast weight gain later.
    8. As you gained weight you probably had plateaus going up. Your body remembers these plateaus and will automatically plateau there again on the way down. Some refer to these as "set points." It may take some time and sometimes some adjustments to get past them.
    9. Mix it up. Vary your exercise from day to day and vary your menu. If you get bored you are less likely to be successful.
    10. Fill out your MyFitnessPal.com profile, particpate on the boards and add some friends who will encourage you (and maybe inspire you too) .... and HAVE FUN with it!!
    11. Move More + Eat Less = Lower Weight

"It matters not if we try and fail, and try and fail again. But it matters much if we try and fail and fail to try again."
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Good on you for getting started - my best advice is don't wait til tomorrow, start today!

Log everything you eat, healthy or not. That is a great starting point as it helps you to see the points in your day and your diet where the excess (and/or unhealthy) calories come in.
    Once you can pinpoint the trouble spots, you can work through them one at a time. Start with a healthy breakfast, then work on lunch, dinner, snacks etc.
    Sometimes there are things that you can cut down or out right away - like soda or juice or candy coffee confections from Starbucks, if so that's a great way to get going.

Personally I wouldn't do things like Slimfast - that doesn't teach you anything in the the long term and in my opinion is a waste of money. But, if it works for you... go for it, just make sure you pay attention to real foods and to portion sizes - I think that's the best way to learn how to stay healthy for the long term.

And, in spite of the fact that we all want to lose weight FAST - it probably won't happen and if it does, probably won't stay off.
    Better to lose 1 pound a week and keep it off, than 5 pounds a week for 1 month then give up because it's all too hard.

Good luck!
  • pixardad
    pixardad Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Jen,

You're not alone. You'll find friends here and we all keep each other going. If you're having difficulty starting, we here for that too. Take a look at my 2 latest blog posts (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/pixardad ), hopefully you'll find a little inspiration. Feel free to add me as a fiend. Good Luck!

--PixarDad
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    hi jen,

it sounds like you are going through a tough time at the moment, but you being here is already a step in the right direction.

MFP is a great network of support and allows you to start with baby steps.

set yourself realistic goals and allow yourself treats. it will work. you can do this :smile:

all the best!
  • jenlogan38
    Options
    Wow! thanks everyone, for the support of course. I know this is gonna be a really long tedious process for me, but I have to do it if I want to live past the next five years. And I don't want to be in a wheelchair all my life either, so it's a matter of life or death for me, please keep encouraging me because I fall so easily, and it's hard when nobody else around you wants to make the same changes.:laugh:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Jen,

You're not alone. You'll find friends here and we all keep each other going. If you're having difficulty starting, we here for that too. Take a look at my 2 latest blog posts (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/pixardad ), hopefully you'll find a little inspiration. Feel free to add me as a fiend. Good Luck!

--PixarDad

I don't usually pick on people's spelling/typos, but this one gave me a giggle, so I hope you don't mind, PixarDad:
    I'm sure you would be a good FRIEND and not a FIEND :smile:

Oh, my other favourite typo that I spotted today was someone who said she was BEAR-footed. GRRRR!

Sorry to be off-topic but a laughter is good for all of us (and I type fast and make lots of spelling mistakes too).
  • Lisa_222
    Lisa_222 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Jen, don't do slimfast. I mean, you bought them, but I would just use them as an emergency meal when you don't have time to eat. You can do this. I have food addictions too. Emotional eating, the whole nine yards. If you do this with others, and talk about what's going on, you can overcome these obstacles.

And remember, you are embarking on a lifestyle change, not a diet. Keep in mind that while you're cutting calories, you're building good habits. Eventually you can eat a bit more, but you will have the control you lacked and you have to keep that or you will gain it back. It's a new way of thinking. We need to find alternatives to munching.

Start with 1 doing the calorie requirements on the site...find out how many you need.
    2. plan a couple days worth ahead of time til you start to get the hang of it.
    3. stop eating everywhere but at the kitchen table, even for snacks. We're trying to break old associations and old habits. So eating, for now, is just at the table.
    4. Exercise. Find something you can do every day, and don't go hog wild into something that is such torture that you are going to quit. You can increase the intensity or length once you have formed a habit. Just for now, do what is tolerable and pleasurable.
    .5. Get an SOS buddy. I'm totally willing. When there is a time you feel you must cheat, SOS your buddy (easy if you have a smart phone and use the app) and you can be talked down from any snack.

It's all behavior modification. And on top of that, if you have any other issues, medical or psychological, make sure you have the appropriate professional help. (BTW, I had a flareup of an inflammatory arthritis that freaked me out big time. I quit smoking because I thought it would help. I felt better, but it didn't help. Then I tried going gluten free and it improved 100%. Not saying that will work for everyone, but keep it in mind. Food intolerance can be a factor. Keep investigating and trying out things. Arthritis is a *****. I could barely walk at one point. I know how it feels.

Well, good luck and you can do this.
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Dont start tomorrow... start NOW.... just start logging in what you eat.... if you want to do the slimfast thing because you have already bought them just log them in and keep track.... try to add some fresh food (you get much more food for your calories) and start moving.... if you can afford it get a Heart Rate Monitor.... you may think you are unable to do much exercise but everyone can exercise.... its a matter of what gets your heart rate up... and if all you can do is a small walk and that exerts you... well keep getting up as many times as you can and you will be surprised how quickly you improve if you are consistent.... i don't have as much to lose as you but I cans till relate to the struggle.... I am an emotional eater and I also have quite negative thoughts.... I agree with the other advice.... find some friends on here who have similar struggles or who will support you (feel free to send a friend request if I can help) .... I am only quite new but I have found a couple of groups which I have found extremely supportive too... it makes such a difference when you feel you are doing this with others n the same boat.

All the best on your quest.... i sincerely hope your health improves .... it is your choice to improve your life now.
    :flowerforyou:

PS - I have also found making my food diary public is an added incentive to keep me honest (of course you can decide not to put everything in that you eat but that is just cheating yourself)
  • ashlielinn
    Options
    Welcome and good luck! We're all here if you need support! :)
  • charmainecurrie
    Options
    welcome
    feel free to add me:)
    good luck
    you will love this site
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hi Jen,
    Welcome to MFP, you have come to the right place! People here are so supportive and friendly, it gets to be a habit and it really does help. I have been an emotional eater my whole life.....and it is consuming and overwhelming, but you have made the first step in recovery which is to decide to do something. No one can do everything, but everyone can do something...start small with the exercise and just keep at it, and the endurance will come...it really will. Log everything you eat, hun, it really does help, just to know that you are holding yourself accountable. I would love to be your friend and help you on your journey.....you can do this...and we will help you. I will send you friend request.
    Today is your first day......rock on!
    Carol
  • landlwoof
    landlwoof Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Being an emotional eater myself.....I KNOW you can do this. It's really hard to ignore those cravings especially at night. I've found some really good suggestions on here, some of which are go and brush your teeth.....make a cup of tea......pop a piece of gum. I know they sound silly for emotional eating but it has worked for me so far. Also just try and change your environment. If you're sitting down at night and want to eat, as much as you hate it, go and clean the toilet or do a load of laundry. Those are just things that have helped me because I used to inhale probably 80% of my calories between 8 and 11 pm. You've come to a great place with great people and I know you can do this.......one hour at a time.
    Add me as a friend if you like
  • landlwoof
    landlwoof Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Being an emotional eater myself.....I KNOW you can do this. It's really hard to ignore those cravings especially at night. I've found some really good suggestions on here, some of which are go and brush your teeth.....make a cup of tea......pop a piece of gum. I know they sound silly for emotional eating but it has worked for me so far. Also just try and change your environment. If you're sitting down at night and want to eat, as much as you hate it, go and clean the toilet or do a load of laundry. Those are just things that have helped me because I used to inhale probably 80% of my calories between 8 and 11 pm. You've come to a great place with great people and I know you can do this.......one hour at a time.
    Add me as a friend if you like
  • jenlogan38
    Options
    Yeah that's funny!!! I find myself typing away sometimes and just thinking of all I want to say, I make sooooo many typos, it's unbelievable.
  • mjsohm
    mjsohm Posts: 40
    Options
    Welcome! Many prayers are with you. Add if you like!
  • jenlogan38
    Options
    Hi Leah, I do some of those things already. I have heard the one about brushing your teethe quite a bit. I really didnt think it would help much, but it really does. Who wants to eat after having that minty fresh breathe? So I know that one works really well. I have found that drinking a lot of water does too. But since my accident I drink a lot of water anyway... because some of the meds I am on dry me out really bad. I find myself going crazy if I dont have water by me at all times. Im one that loves cold water, soooo that will never be a problem for me. But another problem I do have is PEPSI!!! It's gotta be my number one addiction concerning food. Because I find myself craving it sometimes, But I have cut it out quite a bit here lately. I just have those days where I absolutely crave it, and it cant be diet, i gotta have that regular pepsi.
  • pinkpetals06
    Options
    You have my support. Lord knows its not easy. I'm having the same problem. One day at a time, and
    don't focus on any off days you may have just keep going. :smile:
  • herwonderland
    Options
    Hello! Welcome to MFP! I've been here about 3-4 months and the people I have met have been so friendly and unconditionally supportive. No crazy diets, no mad exercise routines, the culture here is to eat well and live well. :)

You have my support! :)