Kind of scared to exercise?

Options
I don't know where this mindset came from, honestly. When I was losing weight a few months ago I did c25k and the 30 day shred every day. But now, I've gotten back into watching how much I eat, and I'm kind of scared to exercise because I'm afraid that it will cause me to gain or stop losing.

I think I got that because of the posts asking why they aren't losing when they exercise so much. Well, they're gaining muscle, but losing inches. I understand that. But for some reason, at this moment I can't bring myself to exercise because I'm obsessed with what the scale says. I'm afraid that I won't see progress there and will become unmotivated.

I wouldn't even be doing weights, just cardio stuff on You Fit Kinect.

I don't want a lecture; I understand that this is completely stupid. I don't know what I need. A kick in the rear, maybe.

Replies

• kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    Hide the scale (or, have someone hide it for you) for a month and focus on how you feel, look, and maybe measurements.

Just do it! You know it's what your body needs to be healthy.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Consider this a kick. Stop being weird and start exercising.
  • lackie09
    lackie09 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Do you have a good friend or someone that is motivating you through ur journey that you can give your scale to for lets say a week or two and slowly increase the time you let them "borrow" your scale? right now I am also in the "OMG what does the scale say" mode but I am also just starting out and have a long way to go =) just a thought
  • digitaldigital
    digitaldigital Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You'll fall in love with the pain from exercise which feels great, over what a stupid scale says.
  • acasey0123
    acasey0123 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    you will never know unless you try since everyone is different and not to mention you could gain weight because of not exercsing. hide the scale, the scale is only a number not to mention it doesnt factor in everything like basketball players in the NBA are considered obese some are morbidly obese according to their BMI because they are SO heavy but most is muscle so the true numbers you should be going with is how many inches you lose
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Well I wasn't scared to exercise and It gained me two pounds of water weight the first five days.. Just ignore the scale as I'm going to do.. In the long run the exercise will help you burn more and more.. Get moving girly.. Even walking is better than nothing :)
    Feel free to friend me if you need a boost further :)
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    its all very well losing weight but you 1. have to tone at the same time 2.exersice to get fitter 3.the weight loss WILL slow down the less you have to loose! :noway:
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I think you're reading the wrong posts.
  • pinstripepirate
    pinstripepirate Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I think you're reading the wrong posts.

Agreed. I exercise everyday and I'm losing weight.

Only weigh yourself once a week, or once every two weeks. Avoid peeking in between, because otherwise the fluctuations will drive you crazy. Keep eating right and get exercise and you'll see results!
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I think you should hide your scale. I never go by that. If your clothes were once tight and they fit you better now, that's what I would go by. Only weigh yourself once every few weeks, or even once a month. Don't feel intimidated, it will paralyze you. Just go for it!!!!
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Exercise by itself is not going to make you gain or loose significant weight. However, it will make you feel powerful! As one of the previous comments said, hide the scale and go make yourself feel great!
  • bassett8807
    bassett8807 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with this post! Hide the scale! I find myself doing the same thing. But don't worry about the weight right now. Worry about eating right and getting into shape. The pounds will start to fall off on their own!!
  • Awake_Alive
    Awake_Alive Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I had to break up with my scale because it kept making me feel so bad about my progress....it was an abusive relationship! I weigh in with my trainer, and it's amazing how that stupid number can change my entire attitude. I can go in feeling like a million bucks, then get on the scale and find that I've lost less than I'd hoped, and my attitude instantly goes South.

It's tough to do, but ditch the stupid scale and exercise. You will feel so much better physically, AND mentally. When you realize that your pants don't fit because they're too loose, you really won't care what the scale says. :flowerforyou:
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't want a lecture. So I am just going to give you something to think about. What is more important to you
    a) What the number on a scale says?
    OR
    b) how you look and feel in and out of your clothes?

I am obsessed with getting on the scale too because it makes me more motivated when I see that number going down. It also motivates me to work harder when I don't see the number going down. But I try to pay attention to everything. i.e. the number on the scale, my measurements, how I look, how I feel, how I can feel my muscles building up under my layer of fat and NSV's especially ones like I am able to take off my jeans without unbuttoning or zippering them.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do. Keep up the good work. You can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I think that's what I needed, haha. It'll help too once I get out of this funk. :\
  • sashalarue
    sashalarue Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    THE SCALE IS THE DEVIL!!! RUN...THROW IT THE FREAK AWAY!!!!!! NOWWWWWW!!!!!!!! omg...i so know what your talking about, i refuse to get on mine....just can't do it to myself. I want to see the numbers drop, i want to see The Biggest Losers numbers each time i get on the scale...it doesn't happen, but like you already know...i feel it in my clothes and i see it with my eyes!!! *in my Cher voice from Moonstruck* SLAP!! SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!

:wink: