A Texan Newbie

Options
I am excited to try this online. I've always been someone that needs "in person" support. This will def be different but I am willing to give it a try. My biggest struggle in life has been Sugar. I've been an addict my entire life and has gotten worse since Adulthood. I believe it runs in the family but I think I have it the worst. Recently found out I am allergic to Splenda when I tried to kick the Sugar habit. I hope to see if others suffer from the same addiction and what helps them through the tough times; and things they have tried in substitution.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• missyyclaire
    missyyclaire Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard. Take a wander around the forums and check out the food log/exercise log...it's life changing!
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm from Texas too, so if you ever want to talk about the temptations of Sweet Tea, Fried food, and BBQ you have a friend in me. LOL

Seriously, don't be afraid to use this site. I'm newish too, and it has been amazing!! Once you start you'll totally be hooked!

Good Luck!
  • jtsmith34
    jtsmith34 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas too! I definitely understand the sugar thing! Sweet tea was the hardest thing to give up. I always go over on my sugar intake....
    I hate splenda, I'll only use the pink stuff if I have to.
  • mjsohm
    mjsohm Posts: 40
    Options
    Our family history has a good deal of Diabetes in it. Two of our children have type 2 and can control it through diet, so for us sugar is kind of the enemy. I have not been diagnosed, but am confident that I have the same tendencies, and have had to adjust my diet to keep from spiking my blood sugar and then crashing after. In short, you are certainly not alone in this issue and I hope that you get all the support you need to live a long healthy life with your family. Add if you like. Cheers!
  • Beberni
    Beberni Posts: 25
    Options
    Thanks! Yes my dad is borderline diabetic and his dad died from it when i was 2. So it runs in the family, so i really need to pay attention to it now.
  • Beberni
    Options
    Thanks. I used to use the pink stuff in my tea at restaurants but then went cold turkey on that. I don't use anything in my tea now. Its the other goodies I have a really hard time with. Splenda and me don't get along so thats in every diet drink so I just stay away from those I found a good 7up type soda that uses REAL sugar so no high fructose corn syrup. Its called Sierra Mist and its naturally flavored. Has 37gr of sugar in 12 oz but at least its real. At least I can try to cut it down to 6oz or so. Its all a struggle!....lol Thanks for the support.
  • Beberni
    Options
    Thanks! I'm actually excited about being on here and hope to gain some new friends. Never done this before - online diet thing but I'm willing to give it a try. I feel that if I have to tell someone I fell of the wagon, at least it will embarrass me and force me to get back on it....lol
  • AureliaCotta
    AureliaCotta Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome! :)